House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Looking For A Software Engineering / Systems Analyst Job

Guest Cletus VanDamme

I'm currently self-employed, developing and maintaining a few websites for various clients, while finishing off my MSc in Computer Science.

Come September, I'll have various options:

1/ Continue with the self-employed route

2/ Turn my hobby (Mac shareware development) into a real job

3/ Do some contracting

4/ Get a permie job

My main skills are in database design, XML/XSLT, SQL, OOAD, Java, some C++.

If I go for 4/ it has to be interesting. Not interested in being a code drone in a cubicle. Would love to do 2/ but not sure it is realistic. 1/ is getting a bit boring and feel a bit isolated working from home, but enjoy not having to deal with office politics etc. 3/ is probably looking like the obvious choice, although I'm not great at pinpointing my skills as I have such a varied background (publishing, IT, NHS) in various roles (developer, analyst, therapist!), and haven't done contracting through an agency before.

Would appreciate any advice and suggestions - I know there's a fair few people in IT on the forums here.

I'm currently self-employed, developing and maintaining a few websites for various clients, while finishing off my MSc in Computer Science.

Come September, I'll have various options:

1/ Continue with the self-employed route

2/ Turn my hobby (Mac shareware development) into a real job

3/ Do some contracting

4/ Get a permie job

My main skills are in database design, XML/XSLT, SQL, OOAD, Java, some C++.

If I go for 4/ it has to be interesting. Not interested in being a code drone in a cubicle. Would love to do 2/ but not sure it is realistic. 1/ is getting a bit boring and feel a bit isolated working from home, but enjoy not having to deal with office politics etc. 3/ is probably looking like the obvious choice, although I'm not great at pinpointing my skills as I have such a varied background (publishing, IT, NHS) in various roles (developer, analyst, therapist!), and haven't done contracting through an agency before.

Would appreciate any advice and suggestions - I know there's a fair few people in IT on the forums here.

I'm back 9-5in after being contacted by a company out of the blue. I put myself on all the engineering/defence agency cv sites while self employed doing all sorts saying what I wanted to do and how much I wanted and they came to me. I'd try that route first. Just get a portfolio CD/website together for interviews (you most likely already have) especially useful if you have a mixture of skills to show off. If you build it they come.