House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

Esso Fawley Shuts Down Due To Fire - Supplies 1/5th Uk Petro Products

[EDIT : please ignore - one day old story]

So on a day after the oil price rallies like billy-oh, what happens to concentrate peoples' minds? Yep Britain's biggest oil refinery shuts down due to a fire in a "steam room".

Fawley info

Situated on Southampton Water, it has a modern marine terminal that handles around 2,000 ship movements and 22 million tonnes of crude oil and other products every year. The refinery processes some 300,000 barrels of crude oil a day and supplies around 14 per cent of all petroleum products in the UK.

I live down the coast, but that hasn't stopped me hearing the sirens ....

Edited by Sledgehead

So on a day after the oil price rallies like billy-oh, what happens to concentrate peoples' minds? Yep Britain's biggest oil refinery shuts down due to a fire in a "steam room".

Fawley info

Situated on Southampton Water, it has a modern marine terminal that handles around 2,000 ship movements and 22 million tonnes of crude oil and other products every year. The refinery processes some 300,000 barrels of crude oil a day and supplies around 14 per cent of all petroleum products in the UK.

I live down the coast, but that hasn't stopped me hearing the sirens ....

hmmm, I'm told this is actually one day old news!

I'll just put my head back in the ground!

Now I'm gonna have to find out what those sirens are really for (perhaps they are closing in on my skunk farm! :lol: )

Edited by Sledgehead

I'll just put my head back in the ground!

I’m glad you did stick your head out of the ground, only because it helps me to know that your absence from the market downfall threads is conspicuous. Of course, in the delirium, this post will be the least read of the lot - but that's sentiment for you. :P

I’m glad you did stick your head out of the ground, only because it helps me to know that your absence from the market downfall threads is conspicuous. Of course, in the delirium, this post will be the least read of the lot - but that's sentiment for you. :P

me too. Here's a link to the news story on the local beeb

14 % of UK capacity out. I wonder what that's going to do to pump prices in the near term?

14 % of UK capacity out. I wonder what that's going to do to pump prices in the near term?

That will depend on (i) whether Esso's assertion that 'there was no immediate impact on supplies available to their customers' (my emphasis) is true, and (ii) if there is a medium to long-term impact, what extra overheads are incurred by importing the shortfall.