House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tara747

Irish Prices Tumbling - Message Has Got Through To Sheeple At Last

Even worse, most seem to be actually surprised at the turn of events.

Have they been ignoring what was happening around them for the last 4-5 years - were they too dumb to see that houses had become ridiculously expensive and that people had become addicted to borrowing large amounts of money which would one day have to be paid back :rolleyes:

I love the way they are blaming it all on the government. Certainly, Bertie was doing his best to help out the construction trade but the public bought the 'Your money is safe in housing, it's a one-way bet' spiel totally. IMO it's mostly down to their stupidity, did they really think that a doubling or tripling of prices in 4-5 years was somehow sustainable or normal, and that buying such an overpriced pile of bricks and mortar (or multiple houses even) was the surefire way to wealth?

Even worse, most seem to be actually surprised at the turn of events.

Have they been ignoring what was happening around them for the last 4-5 years - were they too dumb to see that houses had become ridiculously expensive and that people had become addicted to borrowing large amounts of money which would one day have to be paid back :rolleyes:

I love the way they are blaming it all on the government. Certainly, Bertie was doing his best to help out the construction trade but the public bought the 'Your money is safe in housing, it's a one-way bet' spiel totally. IMO it's mostly down to their stupidity, did they really think that a doubling or tripling of prices in 4-5 years was somehow sustainable or normal, and that buying such an overpriced pile of bricks and mortar (or multiple houses even) was the surefire way to wealth?

:lol:

All that anger and disbelief is going to be hilarious to witness. I reckon the property pin is going to become the most visited website in Ireland!

Isn't it true that HPI has been much higher in NI?

Oh--the pain of it................. :o

Yes, well it's certainly been more dramatic and happened in a shorter space of time.

The folk up North must be breathing a sigh of relief, safe in the knowledge that even after their own rampant HPI it won't happen to them...

That suonded like some threads on here.

Are we losing are uniqueness. ;)

Except that most of us cottoned onto the bad effects of the boom ages ago, and the govt's role in fuelling it.

:)

The folk up North must be breathing a sigh of relief, safe in the knowledge that even after their own rampant HPI it won't happen to them...

At least UP North have some sort of economy!! All Paddy down south has is a screwdriver economy, Laundering money !! I am afraid its back to planting TATTIES for poor old SHAFTED Paddy.

At least UP North have some sort of economy!! All Paddy down south has is a screwdriver economy, Laundering money !! I am afraid its back to planting TATTIES for poor old SHAFTED Paddy.

Go back to your village, idiot.

Edit: I am going to be kind and assume that you are actually a bit dim and have mixed up 'north' and 'south'. 'North' is the bit at the top of Ireland and 'south' is the bit at the bottom. Would you like to go back and rearrange the words in your post?

Edited by tara747

At least UP North have some sort of economy!!

70% of the NI "economy" is state sector.

Go back to your village, idiot.

Edit: I am going to be kind and assume that you are actually a bit dim and have mixed up 'north' and 'south'. 'North' is the bit at the top of Ireland and 'south' is the bit at the bottom. Would you like to go back and rearrange the words in your post?

I am quite sure as the north is where they actualy build aircraft and ships. South is where the only engineering work they have done this century was to service German Submarines!!

Cracking and ohhh so true quote from the link;

'It's not what you know but who you know in this country Bang Head Bang Head

Miserable scumbags preying on the young people of Ireland, pushing up the cost of housing and gloating about it. They will have seen this correction in property prices coming and have themselves prepared for it.

It is the ordinary people who overstretched themselves that are screwed.'

Where are the bulls today???

I am quite sure as the north is where they actualy build aircraft and ships. South is where the only engineering work they have done this century was to service German Submarines!!

Have you ever actually visited NI?

Poor old faloos.

ships??

which decade are you in?

Unfortunately H&W shut down a few years ago. The area down at the docks is market out for new flats though, so that will be a new wealth-creator.

ships??

which decade are you in?

Unfortunately H&W shut down a few years ago. The area down at the docks is market out for new flats though, so that will be a new wealth-creator.

All I was trying to point out was that NI had or did have an economy (Shorts Aircraft Co.) and it did not solely rely on planting Tatties like the south, and ofcourse servicing German Subs during the war. Dont like it well tough ! thats history.

The south is now relying on laundered money swishing around and will dissapear just as quickly then its back to picking Tatties !!

Have you ever actually visited NI?

Poor old faloos.

All I was trying to point out was that NI had or did have an economy (Shorts Aircraft Co.) and it did not solely rely on planting Tatties like the south, and ofcourse servicing German Subs during the war. Dont like it well tough ! thats history.

The south is now relying on laundered money swishing around and will dissapear just as quickly then its back to picking Tatties !!

Silly me not to realise that one aircraft company maketh an economy! I stand corrected.

Have you got a link to a source for this 'laundered money' story? I would be curious to see it.

Did they really service german submarines during the war or are you just talking rubbish? I read that the british liked to have rumours like that circulating so they could help to justify using force to retake the ports if they had to.

On the subject of the Irish economy - I was a fairly regular visitor to Ireland until about 5 years ago. It seemed to me that they had been making pretty steady progress from a very low base for quite a while, at least since the seventies. I would be interested to know what effect the property boom has had and is likely to have in the future.

(If anyone is sensitive about this post - I have found the Irish to be no different from any other nationality as people. I have no particular bias for or against them. But it is interesting to have a English-speaking country so close to the UK where things are done differently to how we do them.)

Whats with the bad feeling towards Ireland? Dubin and other parts were bombed by the Germans in WWII, not exactly an indication of 'friendship' between Ireland and Germany. Whilst the economy in the south is overly reliant on the consruction sector there has been an increasing manufacturing and research basis. No perfect but racist 'spud digging' comments aren't productive to any debate.

On the subject of the Irish economy - I was a fairly regular visitor to Ireland until about 5 years ago. It seemed to me that they had been making pretty steady progress from a very low base for quite a while, at least since the seventies. I would be interested to know what effect the property boom has had and is likely to have in the future.

(If anyone is sensitive about this post - I have found the Irish to be no different from any other nationality as people. I have no particular bias for or against them. But it is interesting to have a English-speaking country so close to the UK where things are done differently to how we do them.)

I will refer you to The Property Pin and David McWilliams - two sites full of useful info. David Mc in particular is the most insightful commentator on the modern Irish state/economy/people. IMHO.

Whats with the bad feeling towards Ireland? Dubin and other parts were bombed by the Germans in WWII, not exactly an indication of 'friendship' between Ireland and Germany. Whilst the economy in the south is overly reliant on the consruction sector there has been an increasing manufacturing and research basis. No perfect but racist 'spud digging' comments aren't productive to any debate.

Quite.

For anyone who is not already aware, the NI economy is a basket case by any measure. And I live here.

Edited by tara747