House Price Crash Forum

Pizza Franchise Staff 'exploited'

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
"One Domino's delivery driver earned just £5 after four months because accommodation and insurance costs were taken from his pay, the T&G said. "

Isn't this broadly what is happening to most of us in the end anyway?

:rolleyes:

Aye.

They used to make a big hoohaa in the press about the day when you were officially working for yourself and not the taxman. Used to be sometime in may, I daresay we're well into June now.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Aye.

They used to make a big hoohaa in the press about the day when you were officially working for yourself and not the taxman. Used to be sometime in may, I daresay we're well into June now.

Yeah June, but for the previous tax year - so we're now working 15 months of the year. :rolleyes:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I remember a certain pizza chain being hauled up because they paid the staff something like £2 an hour, with the difference made up by tips.

I refused to go there (besides, it's best to support the small indie restaurants rather than the big chains), but was forced one time to attend a leaving do at one.

I made sure at the end the waitress was slipped the tip in cash.

Edited by garybug

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
"One Domino's delivery driver earned just £5 after four months because accommodation and insurance costs were taken from his pay, the T&G said. "

Isn't this broadly what is happening to most of us in the end anyway?

:rolleyes:

If the news is to be believed re: credit, to come out plus five quid after 4 months means he is doing better than a large minority of Britons who seem to be coming out minus a few thousand pounds over the same period having paid for accomodation and their bills.

When you subtract a lot of people's liabilities, this pizza delivering chap is well ahead of them in net worth terms.

Indeed, the Treasury have probably gone to "action stations" to discover how it is a whole five pounds has "slipped through the net" and nobody will be getting Rich Tea biscuits until there is an answer and a plan for snatching it back :ph34r:

HOLA4413

Yeah does annoy me. The workers choose to come here, they obviously are provided with housing, food etc, they can leave if they want, where is the problem?

Everyone knows that mass immigration is causing pay to fall in a lot of industries, that is the point and that is why the CBI call for more immigration due to 'Skill Shortages'.

HOLA4414

It all depends on the details. I've no idea what the circumstances are, but maybe they paid an agency abroad to get them the job - and to pay for their flights.

Then maybe they were found the housing and their bills/food are sorted out for them because they're furren.

Now, obviously there is a lot of opportunity there to take them for a ride, but on the other hand, it could be legitimate *coughs*. Well, it could.

As I said in an earlier post, unless we are told the details, with figures, it is difficult to work out truth from fantasy.

I myself this week have investigated renting a room - and I'd have had to pay a month's rent up front, a month's bond, £140 agent fees, £X credit checks. Then there'd be transport to get to work. And maybe they were advanced salary from day 1 for food.

Who knows. We don't - and we won't be told as it suits somebody's purpose to run sensationalist headlines.

Although if I were asked, I'd say it is highly likely that somebody is doing some ripping off - or just hoodwinking the stupid.

HOLA4415
Indeed, the Treasury have probably gone to "action stations" to discover how it is a whole five pounds has "slipped through the net" and nobody will be getting Rich Tea biscuits until there is an answer and a plan for snatching it back :ph34r:

LOL :)

HOLA4416
Guest anorthosite

The lack of empathy here sometimes disgusts me.

The fast food market has a long and cherished history of exploiting its staff. A favourite trick used to be send people on unpaid breaks when it was quiet but not letting them go home. People were doing 8 or 9 hour shifts but only getting paid for an hour or two, day after day. It used to be teenagers and school leavers that worked there, but now its immigrants, and they are probably just as easy to exploit.

If someone says the fast food industry is exploiting a workforce that it might be easy to exploit, my response would be "yes, I know". It has to to survive. Which is one of many reasons not to eat there.