House Price Crash Forum

Four Camps

Guest The dude

It has become more apparent to me reading this forum that there are 4 camps into which we all fall: (1) The Homeowners (2) The Landlords (3) The STR's and last but no means least the (4) First time buyers (prospective). Is it not apparent that each camp are a breed unto themselves and see house prices with a different criteria...? I, as a future ftb do not find anything in common with the other camps. As far as I can garner, most of the people on this site, excepting true ftb's, are speculators. including STR's...Is there nobody here on this forum who actually wants to buy a house TO LIVE IN rather than to make a profit on? I have read of STR's here on this forum who purport to shun and ridicule those who place so much emphasis on "paper profits" and yet we find out that these same people made a lot of money on the stock exchange through share dealing. Do we, as FTB's to be, not smell a rat here?.....is this forum infested with hypocrites?.....I hope not but I think there is now a need for there to be an FTB section on this website or at least a section free of hypocritical smug speculator "bulls" who pretend to be bears. A little more honesty is needed here good people. As an FTB, I want a house price correction to happen....for the sake of all FTB's....

Totally Agree. From a Camper in the opposite field.

I too am looking at buying. I too am hoping for a big price reduction. Not because I want a 'paper profit' but because I want to settle down and live a happy, healthy, long life in a home that I can afford.

There are many more than 4 camps!

Victoria.

Coffee, smell, wake up?????

It has become more apparent to me reading this forum that there are 4 camps into which we all fall: (1) The Homeowners (2) The Landlords (3) The STR's and last but no means least the (4) First time buyers (prospective).  Is it not apparent that each camp are a breed unto themselves and see house prices with a different criteria...? I, as a future ftb do not find anything in common with the other camps.  As far as I can garner, most of the people on this site, excepting true ftb's, are speculators. including STR's...Is there nobody here on this forum who actually wants to buy a house TO LIVE IN rather than to make a profit on? I have read of STR's here on this forum who purport to shun and ridicule those who place so much emphasis on "paper profits" and yet we find out that these same people made a lot of money on the stock exchange through share dealing.  Do we, as FTB's to be, not smell a rat here?.....is this forum infested with hypocrites?.....I hope not but I think there is now a need for there to be an FTB section on this website or at least a section free of hypocritical smug speculator "bulls" who pretend to be bears. A little more honesty is needed here good people.  As an FTB, I want a house price correction to happen....for the sake of all FTB's....
Guest The dude
Totally Agree. From a Camper in the opposite field.

I too am looking at buying. I too am hoping for a big price reduction. Not because I want a 'paper profit' but because I want to settle down and live a happy, healthy, long life in a home that I can afford.

There are many more than 4 camps!

Victoria.

Coffee, smell, wake up?????

Good for you....Victoria....and best wishes too!!

No...it's just MY belief. Nobdy has to go with my beliefs.  You obviously think contrary...How many camps do you think, there are, in your opinion?

'I, as a future ftb do not find anything in common with the other camps.' - YOUR comment.

Well I stated further above that I am having exactly the same problem as you. So as I am a B2Lr AND looking for modest affordable housing for myself (no profit) that there has to be more than four camps as I don't fit into any of your four.

IMO there are many sub divisions of all your four suggestions.

Please stop putting people in boxes.

VS.

'I, as a future ftb do not find anything in common with the other camps.' - YOUR comment.

Well I stated further above that I am having exactly the same problem as you. So as I am a B2Lr AND looking for modest affordable housing for myself (no profit) that there has to be more than four camps as I don't fit into any of your four.

VS.

I do think you're being a little pedantic here Smarty if you don't mind me saying so. Besides how many BTL'ers would be looking for non affordable housing within which to live in?

I think The dude's post is bang on the money.STR 'ers seem to think they are holier than thou, yet they are just as damaging as the worst property speculators IMO. Mind you Dude, i do think with your own section you would become a little too encapsulated for your own good.

There's also far too much of talking the market down on here. I mean, do some of you guys have nothing better to do with your time?

Guest The dude

VS.

Of course there are nuances in the market..you are completely correct...but to my mind, overall, there are 4 loose categories in which people have a different slant on the housing market. I am a prospective FTB...it's the only thing I have ever known..(could be possibly the only thing I'll ever know given the housing situation today). However, as a future ftb, I am sure you will permit me to voice my opinion and defend ALL FTB's. Somebody has to stick up for us....nobody else is. I don't place a lot of faith on homeowners, landlords or STR's. Good luck to you Smarty...no offence - you are probably doing the best you can and I sincerely applaud you for it.

Guest The dude
I do think you're being a little pedantic here Smarty if you don't mind me saying so. Besides how many BTL'ers would be looking for non affordable housing within which to live in?

I think The dude's post is bang on the money.STR 'ers seem to think they are holier than thou, yet they are just as damaging as the worst property speculators IMO. Mind you Dude, i do think with your own section you would become a little too encapsulated for your own good.

There's also far too much of talking the market down on here. I mean, do some of you guys have nothing better to do with your time?

A society which excludes a sizeable amount of it's population...ie ftb's, is cutting it's own throat...I will vociferously champion the plight of the FTB because it is in the interests of this country to be inclusive. So far FTB's have not been included.

Of course there are nuances in the market..you are completely correct...but to my mind, overall, there are 4 loose categories in which people have a different slant on the housing market.  I am a prospective FTB...it's the only thing I have ever known..(could be possibly the only thing I'll ever know given the housing situation today).  However, as a future ftb, I am sure you will permit me to voice my opinion and defend ALL FTB's.  Somebody has to stick up for us....nobody else is. I don't place a lot of faith on homeowners, landlords or STR's. Good luck to you Smarty...no offence - you are probably doing the best you can and I sincerely applaud you for it.

Okay, I accept. I'm so glad you used the word 'loose.' No offence on my part intended. Sorry Dude.

I get aired up by being catagorised as a B2Lr who 'is greedy and takes up the housing intended for the FTB's' when I don't.

I feel for the FTB's but not all B2lr's have been stupid in gearing up and taking the market from everybodyelse.

'Somebody has to stick up for us....nobody else is.'

- That may feel true but it isn't.

My team allocate shared ownership to FTB's in Buckinghamshire/ Beds/ Herts - We would give everybody one all day long....if there were enough. Truth is there isn't and won't be for a long time.

The market is in trouble. I believe that's good for the whole.

Now, lets stop segregating everybody and stop buying as a whole. That way we all win, even investors who lose paper money won't lose- it was never an assett unless they sold at the right time.

A society which excludes a sizeable amount of it's population...ie ftb's,  is cutting it's own throat...I will vociferously champion the plight of the FTB because it is in the interests of this country to be inclusive. So far FTB's have not been included.

How have they not been included. Have you not heard about Prescotts plans?

I get aired up by being catagorised as a B2Lr who 'is greedy and takes up the housing intended for the FTB's' when I don't.

I feel for the FTB's but not all B2lr's have been stupid in gearing up and taking the market from everybodyelse.

Sorry but BTL is BTL. You're now sounding like some of the hypocritical STR. If you have more than one home (geared or not) the bottom line is you did it for the money. Unless you're a housing association/charity, please don't pretend otherwise.

KOTC- Looking for affordable housing yes. Looking at not gearing, no IO and minimal borrowing. Pedantic- well maybe.

I simply don't agee with this putting people in boxes escapade.

Sorry but BTL is BTL. You're now sounding like some of the hypocritical STR. If you have more than one home (geared or not) the bottom line is you did it for the money. Unless you're a housing association/charity, please don't pretend otherwise.

'Unless you're a housing association/charity'

Read post further up.

STR?? Nah I'm not that.

There's no point in having the blinkers on. I feel that i need to learn all aspects of the market. I have my own gameplan, but to choose the best options, I feel its best to know everyone's point of view.

So to do that, i need to listen to all sides of opinion, and yes, even the endless amount of crap from dogbox, (and his new sucessors!)

There's no point in having the blinkers on. I feel that i need to learn all aspects of the market. I have my own gameplan, but to choose the best options, I feel its best to know everyone's point of view.

So to do that, i need to listen to all sides of opinion, and yes, even the endless amount of crap from dogbox, (and his new sucessors!)

Who is Dogbox plz?

Off to bed will check tomorrow.

Goodnight.

VS.

I come from the 1990 brigade. At 18 I was actively encouraged to buy as much property as possible. At the time B2L mortgages didn't exist or if they did they weren't termed as this.  Mentors and banks were pushing the idea to buy constantly, to which I did.

This is from your other post. I'm sorry to doubt what you say, and indeed apologise if I'm wrong, but this just does not sound like the words of a charity or HA!

It sounds like the words of an eager young lady, with aspirations of making a few quid. nothing wrong with that,in fact I applaude you, salt of the earth! However I just don't see a charity in motion here.

KOTC

Group 5) Short to medium term plan to emigrate abroad, had considered buying over here in the interim, but have no intention of doing so to be trapped in the UK for years due to negative equity and being unable to sell up.

Our joint income would, as FTBs, get us a nice 3 bed semi here. This is because I am self employed and earn the same salary regardless of where I live in the UK, and this is a cheap town (versus national average) to buy in.

But I have no intention of doing so if, as is proving to be the case, prices are on the way down, possibly significantly and for a sustained period.

King of the castle....I have to agree with your last post. I think most STRs have done it for the money...dress it up however you wish. I certainly have.

I have also used equity in previous property to purchase property abroad.Yes, I've used my home as an investment tool.

We lost out big time at the height of the last downturn, ( because yes, it will correct it ALWAYS does). There are always some winners and some losers. All those FTBs in turmoil now, will have their day and if they wish profit from future gains aswell. What goes around comes around. ;)