House Price Crash Forum

Prices In Esher/elmbridge

welshy

HOLA441

No mistype i remember it very well it was shocking inside although the new owners have just done a very mild update 20k max.

still 500k for 3 years bloddy hell.

why do people consider hw as esher ? it is a poor subsitute with two main roads that have half decent houses but are busy and noisey.

the family did buy in claygate and i know we have made a nice wedge in the past couple of years but that house from 595 is just crazy

bob you lost out there myfriend.

Not sure Bob was wrong.

2011-06-20 White Ridge, Ruxley Crescent, Claygate, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0TX

Detached, Freehold add details... £985,000

2010-08-20 Birchwood Grange, Ruxley Crescent, Claygate, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0TX

Detached, Freehold add details... £1,195,000

2010-06-25 Ahimsa, Ruxley Crescent, Claygate, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0TZ

Detached, Freehold add details... £1,046,000

2008-08-29 Greywalls, Ruxley Crescent, Claygate, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0TX

Detached, Freehold add details... £1,175,000

2007-11-02 Tudor Cottage, Ruxley Crescent, Claygate, Esher, Surrey, KT10 0TZ

Detached, Freehold, 5 Beds, 5 Bathrooms, 2 Receptions view more... £1,370,000

All houses sold in Ruxley crescent since 2007. Cheapest was £985k this year.

Last time a house sold for anything less than 600k in Ruxley Crescent was in 1999. Last millenium.

Edited by Bosh

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

No mistype i remember it very well it was shocking inside although the new owners have just done a very mild update 20k max.

why do people consider hw as esher ? it is a poor subsitute with two main roads that have half decent houses but are busy and noisey.

the family did buy in claygate and i know we have made a nice wedge in the past couple of years but that house from 595 is just crazy

Sorry, I assumed you and Bosh were talking about the same house. I should have clicked your link. (blush)

I remember this house, but cannot remember the price. We would have bought the MRN house for 595, but not that one.

We shall have to see what they sell it for, there are plenty of examples of houses going on for huge amounts and loitering for ages.

As for HW being Esher, I don't consider it to be Esher because it is Hinchley Wood, and the same goes for Claygate. Outsiders might think of it like that as they all have the KT10 postcode.

HOLA443

Sorry, I assumed you and Bosh were talking about the same house. I should have clicked your link. (blush)

I remember this house, but cannot remember the price. We would have bought the MRN house for 595, but not that one.

We shall have to see what they sell it for, there are plenty of examples of houses going on for huge amounts and loitering for ages.

As for HW being Esher, I don't consider it to be Esher because it is Hinchley Wood, and the same goes for Claygate. Outsiders might think of it like that as they all have the KT10 postcode.

It`s Hinchley Wood when buying and Esher when selling. ;)

HOLA444

I still stand by the previous post. I think this house is Greywalls. Back in 2008 it sold for £1,175,000. (Land reg)

It is being marketed now for £1,195,000....

£20k uplift on asking price from sold price in 2008. Not £500k!!... Doubt they will get anywhere near what they paid 3 years ago.

HOLA445

The very large Taylor Wimpey development off the A309.

Drove in and out of this the other week. Some people have moved in and still lots of houses to be built. Strange place. According to web site they have sold 65% of the development!!

http://www.hinchleypark.co.uk/

Today they are marketing:

Cheapest being a 1 bed maisonette at £234,995

Expensive being a 4 bed Detached at £974,995

HOLA446

I still stand by the previous post. I think this house is Greywalls. Back in 2008 it sold for £1,175,000. (Land reg)

£20k uplift on asking price from sold price in 2008. Not £500k!!... Doubt they will get anywhere near what they paid 3 years ago.

It is a shame that Google doesn't have a driveby camera for Ruxley Crescent, we could nail it down.

Maybe it looks just like another house that westlondon(nowclaygate)guy saw back in '08?

It is unlikely to have been that one, unless it was bought at a knock down price as a commercial transaction and then swiftly done up. Commercial transactions don't appear on the LR.

But even then, and from the LR figures you posted Bosh, I think it unlikely it would have been on for that. I think we perhaps need some more evidence from claygateguy. Was it greywalls? Can you scan in the details (although I probably wouldn't have kept them either)

HOLA447

Not sure it is that one. If you look at the window title in fap for that house, it says "Hill Top, Ruxley Crescent", which sounds like the name of a house. That still doesn't appear there though.

HOLA448

Not sure it is that one. If you look at the window title in fap for that house, it says "Hill Top, Ruxley Crescent", which sounds like the name of a house. That still doesn't appear there though.

Got me wondering. I have trawled land registry again. checked the surrounding roads. The only explanation if WLguy was correct is that the house was marketed at 595 but then pulled off the market. Hilltop is not showing as being Sold in the past 10 years of LR.

Maybe Land registry have missed this house.

If it is on Ruxley Crescent and I think it is. Why would it be marketed in 2008 for half a million less than any of the surrounding houses, even when confidence was low in 08.

I`m going all Columbo on this :lol: .. sorry!!

HOLA449

Got me wondering. I have trawled land registry again. checked the surrounding roads. The only explanation if WLguy was correct is that the house was marketed at 595 but then pulled off the market. Hilltop is not showing as being Sold in the past 10 years of LR.

Maybe Land registry have missed this house.

If it is on Ruxley Crescent and I think it is. Why would it be marketed in 2008 for half a million less than any of the surrounding houses, even when confidence was low in 08.

I`m going all Columbo on this :lol: .. sorry!!

this bloody house was 750 then 695 then 650 then 595 and then it went.

i remember it well because i viewed it twice , naff 70`s decor in an art deco shell.

i think it was savills who were selling it , well it is a small house compared to others on that estate hence the price and it really was in a state. oh well missed out on half a mill for doing feck all.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

right it was called hill top

http://www.esherpeople.co.uk/property?page=6&listName=propertySearch&salerent=0&locationBuy=KT10&sortOrder=1

looks like it did not sell but it was on at 595

Well, anyone who bought from a distressed buyer in 08 and early 09 would be sitting on a tidy profit right now. That green tiled house with blue shutters on ember lane (mentioned by me many times in this thread) was originally on for well over a million and sold for 715 (it actually fell through a little earler at 695 according to a friend of the people who were going to buy it). It is probably back to a million, based on other sales in Ember lane.

but part of that was optimistic pricing, it was probably never worth the 1.2 they were asking, as also mentioned a number of times by me on here. :)

Edited by bobthe~

HOLA4412

umm ember lane

buyers must be smoking crack to pay a million to live on a main road .

yes the oldes bought the house in 2008 and been valued last week for 1.05 million not bad consider 630 was paid. still it does not help me much as i have been sitting on my house funds for 5 years now, what a tosser should of bought myself in 2008. 3 bed detached could be had in claygate for 250k albeit a very shabby one probly get 600 to 700k now with a bit of enlargement and refurb :( oh well may as well give up with these bastards keeping the rates down.

HOLA4413

umm ember lane

buyers must be smoking crack to pay a million to live on a main road .

yes the oldes bought the house in 2008 and been valued last week for 1.05 million not bad consider 630 was paid. still it does not help me much as i have been sitting on my house funds for 5 years now, what a tosser should of bought myself in 2008. 3 bed detached could be had in claygate for 250k albeit a very shabby one probly get 600 to 700k now with a bit of enlargement and refurb :( oh well may as well give up with these bastards keeping the rates down.

well one on there went for 1.15 in the summer according to the LR (33.)

The one almost opposite it is on with Curchods for 1.2, but I think that must have been a freak result. I am keeping an eye on that one (not to buy it though).

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I know it's only an asking price, but feck me it's a small semi with small proportions.

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=9492540

This seems to be happening a lot more lately. I posted on the Kingston thread a couple of months ago about a 1970's townhouse in Surbiton that was priced at £749,950, but looked more like £479,950. That has 'strangely' disappeared.

This is the same thing, Unextended, this type of house is probably about £400k. The extension will add a bit of value, but not double!

• 3 months later...
HOLA4416

Hi - I don't know if anyone checks this now but if anyone can give me some insight into the Hinchley Wood market please I would really appreciate it!

We currently live in Richmond (rent) and are looking at moving, we have a 6 months old baby but looking for a 3 bed with room to extend or a 4 bed. There appears to be a few places on the market now that back into the bypass - do you know how noisy this is? It probably wouldn't bother us as we used to live on the A13 however do you think it would affect the resale when we moved? Are people really bothered by the bypass noise?

Any help on what are the 'good' roads to love on and the 'bad' roads would be helpful. Our baby will eventually end up at the primary school in Hinchley wood so useful to have any thoughts on location and that too.

Thanks so much!

HOLA4417

Hi - I don't know if anyone checks this now but if anyone can give me some insight into the Hinchley Wood market please I would really appreciate it!

We currently live in Richmond (rent) and are looking at moving, we have a 6 months old baby but looking for a 3 bed with room to extend or a 4 bed. There appears to be a few places on the market now that back into the bypass - do you know how noisy this is? It probably wouldn't bother us as we used to live on the A13 however do you think it would affect the resale when we moved? Are people really bothered by the bypass noise?

Any help on what are the 'good' roads to love on and the 'bad' roads would be helpful. Our baby will eventually end up at the primary school in Hinchley wood so useful to have any thoughts on location and that too.

Thanks so much!

Hello Hann12,... Depends completely on your budget!!... I live in HW and can say it is a nice area. Classed as Esher (but cheaper) Good road and rail links.. Houses are still selling fast but some that are cose to the A309 are slow to move. It can be noisy. We made a decision not to buy on the Claygate side of the A309 as it can be a busy road and in the future when the kids pop to the shops or make own way to school we were uncomfortable with them crossing that road several times a day..... I lived on a main road in Fulham for 27 years so noise is not an issue for me but I had a choice.

You will pick up a slightly more reasonable house for your money if you are prepared for you garden to back on to dual carriageway.. HW secondary school just accepted an outstanding in ofsted... Keep us updated on your plans and when you post more and become able, you can always PM me and i`ll give you more detail of the area if you are serious... We love it!!

HOLA4418

Thank you Bosh that is helpful. I had thought about the main road issue. Our budget is 600-670K really - so have looked at a few at 700K at a push - or a negotiated offer. I've seen one on the school side of the A309 and 4 on the Claygate side. Its really nice on the claygate side but the road is very busy. I guess if the children were taught to be sensible crossing the road is may not be an issue. Not sure.....

I had a look at some and the noise didn't particularly bother me, I'm realistic that I have to 'give' somewhere! Are there any not so nice areas in HW to avoid?

Thanks so much!

HOLA4419

Thank you Bosh that is helpful. I had thought about the main road issue. Our budget is 600-670K really - so have looked at a few at 700K at a push - or a negotiated offer. I've seen one on the school side of the A309 and 4 on the Claygate side. Its really nice on the claygate side but the road is very busy. I guess if the children were taught to be sensible crossing the road is may not be an issue. Not sure.....

I had a look at some and the noise didn't particularly bother me, I'm realistic that I have to 'give' somewhere! Are there any not so nice areas in HW to avoid?

Thanks so much!

Manor Drive is a good location for Hinchley Wood... Some of the gardens back onto the A309 but you are on the side with the shops, station and schools and prices not to far from your numbers... When I bought in 2008 I negotiated 32% off asking price... I got a mega deal at a time of low confidence...Your best bet would be to register with the agents and keep in mind many sellers in Hinchley Wood use estate agents in Esher High street... HW schools virtually border Thames Ditton so that area could be an option...

HOLA4420

Thats really interesting to know thank you! I agree that the north side of the bypass is safer. I've seen a few houses on that look interesting, though some are not quite as big as we would like and then one is too expensive. I don't know what reductions in offers people would accept. I'd say you were definitely lucky.

We will keep looking and hopefully the right one will come along soon. Its good to know that there aren't any particularly dodgy roads though so thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421

Saw last week that the house on Ember Lane that has been asubject of many of my posts (the "blue tiled" although it was green tiles, just the shutters that were blue) house is back on the market with Curchods.

As a bit of histroy, back in 07/08, it was on the market for 1.25 mill. Ridiculously overpriced even for those days.

It dropped and dropped until it went under offer with the price at 750. I heard this price was 699 on the grapevine, but that fell through and then finally according to zoopla:

5th Jun 2009

61 Ember Lane, Esher KT10 8EF

Detached, Freehold, 6 Beds, 2 Baths, 3 Receps - Edit

£713,000

Unfortunately I haven't seen it on the internet yet, so don't know what price it will be going for.

So maybe it is not going to be marketed on their web site.

Some work has been done on it, although I would guess not a lot as I only ever saw 1 skip outside.

However, in Esher, the market has moved up a lot and so I would guess we are looking at that 1.25M price once again.

Mrs bob told me we should have bought it back in '09....

HOLA4422

Saw last week that the house on Ember Lane that has been asubject of many of my posts (the "blue tiled" although it was green tiles, just the shutters that were blue) house is back on the market with Curchods.

As a bit of histroy, back in 07/08, it was on the market for 1.25 mill. Ridiculously overpriced even for those days.

It dropped and dropped until it went under offer with the price at 750. I heard this price was 699 on the grapevine, but that fell through and then finally according to zoopla:

5th Jun 2009

61 Ember Lane, Esher KT10 8EF

Detached, Freehold, 6 Beds, 2 Baths, 3 Receps - Edit

£713,000

Unfortunately I haven't seen it on the internet yet, so don't know what price it will be going for.

So maybe it is not going to be marketed on their web site.

Some work has been done on it, although I would guess not a lot as I only ever saw 1 skip outside.

However, in Esher, the market has moved up a lot and so I would guess we are looking at that 1.25M price once again.

Mrs bob told me we should have bought it back in '09....

an update on this:

It has appeared on the Curchods site at 1.225M - been done up, but if you drive past it you will notice the front wall is propped up by timbers. Not sure why they would have done everything else but ignored that. Doesn't give it kerb appeal, that is for sure. And the extrnal is a bit tatty, with the roof being a little dirty looking.

Link is here:

http://www.curchods.com/display/209802?n=12

Edited by bobthe~

HOLA4423

an update on this:

It has appeared on the Curchods site at 1.225M - been done up, but if you drive past it you will notice the front wall is propped up by timbers. Not sure why they would have done everything else but ignored that. Doesn't give it kerb appeal, that is for sure. And the extrnal is a bit tatty, with the roof being a little dirty looking.

Link is here:

http://www.curchods.com/display/209802?n=12

Is the large ground floor extension new since 09? Even if it is a 70% increase in price in 2.5 years seems high even if the Esher market has been motoring.

It is also an ugly house and hardly in the best part of Esher. Do you think they stand any chance of getting more than about £900k for this?

HOLA4424

Is the large ground floor extension new since 09? Even if it is a 70% increase in price in 2.5 years seems high even if the Esher market has been motoring.

It is also an ugly house and hardly in the best part of Esher. Do you think they stand any chance of getting more than about £900k for this?

Well I saw that 33 went for £1.15 in the summer, so I expect did the EA.

However, that is a very high price and I thought well over the odds for that house as it didn't look in top nick, and especially if you bear in mind that they were about to knock down 29 and 31 (which looks like it is now complete). The other strange thing was that after buying 33, the workmen came in and gutted it from top to bottom. So it would have to be a very optimistic and bullish person to come in and buy that house at that price (and ignore all the better priced properties on better roads). I suspect that as it was around the time that planning was being sought on those 2 houses, that maybe they did a deal and got bought out by the developer in exchange for agreeing perhaps some amended plans, or perhaps the developer wanted the bottom of the garden.

It also never went onto the Web, suggesting perhaps it was done and dusted. On the flip side of that, if it was a commercial transaction, you wouldn't see it, so maybe not.

There are also now a lot of houses going on the market so shortage of supply may not be something that will keep people interested in this house. Worth checking to see other similarly priced houses in the area or houses of similar size and see what they are going for.

i would like to think it won't sell, but then whoever did buy it timed it just right, didn't they?

HOLA4425

Actually, there are a few on EL at that price...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33262408.html

I think this one was on a year or 2 back as well at 100k less

and there are these at a similar price:

This is smaller but 1.2M on Chestnut Avenue

This one looks Like Parkwood Avenue - 1.15M

So 61 EL is maybe not too distant from the others...