House Price Crash Forum

Prices In Esher/elmbridge

welshy

HOLA441

In Hinchley Wood...

Chap down my road was given three valuations on his 6 bed detached.

Gaspees £850k

Gasbh £900k

Curchods £ 1.2m

Within a week he turned down an offer of £1.1m but then agreed a price in between.. I`m guessing he got £1.15m

Completey busted any achieved figures down my road. We thought he stood no chance in this market but just goes to show sometimes it works. We have been waiting for it to fall through with all the media stories.

Saw him last week and he claims he has exchanged and that according to the agent they have a very long list of clients moving out of London. He did have numerous viewings.

Bosh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

:lol: How true!

I have posted much less due to depression on how the market took off about 18 months ago. Not in denial so much as shock I guess. Still it makes no difference. We couldn't afford them in 07 and we can't really afford them now.

I know there was much in the news on the large bonuses, presumably coming to a street near us, but things definitely quieter. Mrs Bob thought the 5 bedder on Ember Lane was steep (although that originally went on for 1.1M!) and we couldn't believe how much those loons are expecting for their done up 3 bedroom house. One to watch definitely. Mrs Bob also berates me occasionally for us not going for the green tiles blue shuttered house that eventually went for 715 (shutters now grey and skip outside.)

The 5 bedder is under offer (AP was 995). The ludicrously priced 3 bedroom house - Signboard disappeared. Can't see it on either rightmove or FAP.

Also, still not seen the 1.2 Mill house at the bottom of Ember Lane appear on land reg figures...

• 1 month later...
HOLA443

Thames Ditton Junior School has just received a grade 1 outstanding category in the just released Ofsted report. Thames Ditton Infant School has been grade 1 outstanding for a while now.

Who needs private schools? That should keep property prices pretty firm in Thames Ditton.

• 3 months later...
HOLA444

Thames Ditton Junior School has just received a grade 1 outstanding category in the just released Ofsted report. Thames Ditton Infant School has been grade 1 outstanding for a while now.

Who needs private schools? That should keep property prices pretty firm in Thames Ditton.

Especially when the private schools are upping their fees by 8% a year. They must know people are feeling the pinch, cos it used to be 10% pa.

Interestingly, there is another house that I think was the subject of a post of mine a few years back. It is on the corner of Claremont (Avenue or Close, anyway it is one of the roads on the right as you drive from Esher down Portsmouth road to Cobham and is near Claremont).

It was not selling back then for I think 875k, and then because it would not sell it was put on with Foxtons for 1.1 million!

Anyway it is back on for 825k. Problem is not only are prices a little variable, but I suspect the house has had 3 years or so of neglect. Still we shall see what happens.

I, of course, have a link:

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=8604934

Hope you fellow Elmbridgers are well. I am sure I saw Bosh turning into his road the other week on a bike, but since we never met up it could have been anyone. :)

HOLA445

Hope you fellow Elmbridgers are well. I am sure I saw Bosh turning into his road the other week on a bike, but since we never met up it could have been anyone. :)

Hello Bob, How strange !! Not been cycling for a few years now but actually ordered a bike today. Nice straight 4 mile cycle to work is on the cards.

Been a nice quiet year for us but we have just commited to an extention at the back so going to stock up on tea bags and prepare for the upheaval.

Hope you and the family are well and if you are yet to buy hope you are a happy renter sir.

Be good if this thread gets an injection of life. Very informative in the past.

HOLA446

Hello Bob, How strange !! Not been cycling for a few years now but actually ordered a bike today. Nice straight 4 mile cycle to work is on the cards.

Been a nice quiet year for us but we have just commited to an extention at the back so going to stock up on tea bags and prepare for the upheaval.

Hope you and the family are well and if you are yet to buy hope you are a happy renter sir.

Be good if this thread gets an injection of life. Very informative in the past.

Hello Bosh old chap. Still renting, and happy to stick around for a little bit to see how the land lies. Not sure what plan B is though, other than a rapper.

Some anecdotal stuff to keep things ticking along:

House on Cranleigh Road that is not far from us, No.4, was on for 825 and then dropped to 795. Saw recently on LR that it went for 725. It is a 4 bedder, not sure of state of repair, but I would say peak price for this would have been 750-800.

Small terraced house on Esher Green was on for over a million a while back (I think 1.1). Tiny house but lovely according to Mrs Bob, and had a fantastic cellar. Now on with John D Wood for 975. Still way overpriced, but then hey, this is esher.

My route to work, goes through Fairmile Lane. Quite a lot of these 1.5M - 2M houses have come up and gone under offer.

Quite a few now for sale or to let, as we saw 3 years ago. Quite a few getting let as well.

HOLA447

I`m waiting to see what happens at 19 Couchmore Avenue.. Knocked down the bungalow and nearly finished the 3 x 4/5 bed detached.

The Architect says they were hoping to market at between 900 - 950k per lump. Very interesting :rolleyes:

I think all four (Defintely 3) semis built on the plot at 75 Couchmore have now gone. They were showing for 750, then dropped to 735 and then to 699 and then started to go under offer.

My neighbour marketed for 1.2m (6 bed det) and took an offer in week one and sold for 1.05m.

So much activity seems to have stirred everyone in the road. Landscaping and decorating firms doing good buisness indeed.

I like to think that I started something :lol:

HOLA448

I`m waiting to see what happens at 19 Couchmore Avenue.. Knocked down the bungalow and nearly finished the 3 x 4/5 bed detached.

The Architect says they were hoping to market at between 900 - 950k per lump. Very interesting :rolleyes:

I think all four (Defintely 3) semis built on the plot at 75 Couchmore have now gone. They were showing for 750, then dropped to 735 and then to 699 and then started to go under offer.

My neighbour marketed for 1.2m (6 bed det) and took an offer in week one and sold for 1.05m.

So much activity seems to have stirred everyone in the road. Landscaping and decorating firms doing good buisness indeed.

I like to think that I started something :lol:

I seem to remember your neighbour said he didn't drop by much , but that is actually 12.5% below asking price. I wonder if the EA said let's put it up by 10% over valuation and take offers. A lot of people in that situation would have then held out for close to asking price.

HOLA449

I seem to remember your neighbour said he didn't drop by much , but that is actually 12.5% below asking price. I wonder if the EA said let's put it up by 10% over valuation and take offers. A lot of people in that situation would have then held out for close to asking price.

You are quite correct. He told me he was offered over a million and turned it down. Next week he said he accepted just under asking. Good old land registry.

I know he had a lot of genuine interest and did not strike me as desperate to move. Surprised he did not hold out for more knowing him as I do.

I think he and his wife and been rattling around that big old house for years in the hope of cashing in on development. He had been on a promise with Barret homes for 5 years. They all got greedy and planning was refused. He approached me as soon as I snapped it up and I`ll admit to thinking about it. Not for long though. I said no thanks and he decided to move on.

I think I broke him.

HOLA4410

You are quite correct. He told me he was offered over a million and turned it down. Next week he said he accepted just under asking. Good old land registry.

I know he had a lot of genuine interest and did not strike me as desperate to move. Surprised he did not hold out for more knowing him as I do.

I think he and his wife and been rattling around that big old house for years in the hope of cashing in on development. He had been on a promise with Barret homes for 5 years. They all got greedy and planning was refused. He approached me as soon as I snapped it up and I`ll admit to thinking about it. Not for long though. I said no thanks and he decided to move on.

I think I broke him.

Maybe he is one of those old fashioned coves who thinks that a million quid is a lot of money. Little does he know that you are unlikely to get 20k after tax with it nowadays.

HOLA4411

Well now I have a rush of blood, this one is on the woodlands, also near our rented "Pile": Saw someone in a shiny suit and slicked back hair with a clipboard waiting outside, lat Saturday, so I assume had a bit of interest:

The woodlands - reduced from 695 to 665

What the potential buyer probably doesn't know is that lorries can't go past the station, and they can't go along Lower Green Road, so this road gets a lot of lorry traffic during the week, and can be quite early in the morning. Mind you, 11 years ago we nearly bought a similar house on the same road. :)

Edited by bobthe~

• 1 month later...
HOLA4412

Well now I have a rush of blood, this one is on the woodlands, also near our rented "Pile": Saw someone in a shiny suit and slicked back hair with a clipboard waiting outside, lat Saturday, so I assume had a bit of interest:

The woodlands - reduced from 695 to 665

What the potential buyer probably doesn't know is that lorries can't go past the station, and they can't go along Lower Green Road, so this road gets a lot of lorry traffic during the week, and can be quite early in the morning. Mind you, 11 years ago we nearly bought a similar house on the same road. :)

Been an issue for years. My brother in law used to live in the area.

http://residents-association.com/news/parking.php

Roads, traffic and parking have been major, often intractable, issues for at least four decades. Faced with lorries and commuters cutting through Thames Ditton to avoid the Silly isles, in 1970 a traffic census was mounted by volunteers but the authorities seemed more concerned with clearing the roads for more through traffic than in reducing it. A Surrey proposal to put a connecting road from Portsmouth Road to Station Road, demolishing the George and Dragon, was seen off. There followed a series of battles to get Surrey to implement the 1973 Heavy Commercial Vehicles Act by restricting lorries over three tons from the Thames Ditton 'triangle' - and also to press businesses in the Woodlands in Weston Green to restrict voluntarily the movement of HGVs to one agreed route. Finally, in August 1980 an order was made to ban heavy lorries from passing the railway arches at Thames Ditton station. Further operations were mounted to monitor, witness, photograph and report to the police the many lorries whose drivers ignored it.

HOLA4413
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4414

Well well well.

The house that was mentioned at the bottom of this post, 3 years ago is now back on the market.

They asked for way over the top and never sold it.

Will they do the same again?

You bet they will, a whopping 995k, but I hear they are open to offers of 994,950.

It is worth what I fricking say it is.

But but but for the same money you could get this house, just a few doors down with 5 bedrooms. And this has been on for a while.

Incidentally, things a little dead on the going under offer, snapped up going to sealed bids front round here at the moment, I think.

Just noticed that this house, which didn't sell at 995 (gasp) has come back on at 925. Still overpriced, since there is a nice 4 bedder round the corner in Grove Way, a much quieter road, on for 895 (and still not sold).

Edited by bobthe~

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4415
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Just noticed that this house, which didn't sell at 995 (gasp) has come back on at 925. Still overpriced, since there is a nice 4 bedder round the corner in Grove Way, a much quieter road, on for 895 (and still not sold).

The one on Grove Way did sell when it was on for 850, so that 925 is still looking a little unlikely. It was actually only 3 beds, but had been refurbed as well. It will be interesting to see what the agreed price eventually was.

I get the feeling that things have softened a little, whether down to the approach of Winter or the economic Winter in the City, it is hard to tell at this stage.

HOLA4417

Cobham: Fairmile Lane: To Let:

Fairmile Lane is on my way to work (From Esher).

There are some things that may be indicative, or maybe not.

Firstly, There are 2 new developments that have been built out:

Philamores , which is on the left before you reach the mini roundabout. It used to say 1 sold, only 2 remaining, but now it says "To Let". Also from the link, it has been on since June, but has dropped from 12kpm to 10k. Further on, if you turn right at the mini roundabout, at the end of the road on the left, there is a new development of flats. They had the usual show flat open, open days etc, but now there is only a To Let sign outside.

All in all, there are lots of To Let signs on, including a house that I think we discussed at length, on the right, near Cobham Rugby Club. It was one that was featured in the Daily Mail as a house that a WAG was looking at (although I think the article suggested it was to buy, but actually was on to let). Anyway, it was empty for a while and then sold. It is this one in the LR:

10/11/2010 Heath House125, Fairmile Lane, Cobham, Surrey, KT11 2BU - £1,800,000

but I cannot see it on RM as a rental yet. Assuming 5% yield, it should be on for around 7500pcm.

Worth pointing out that a letting agent told us that September was the time when there is a lot of changeover (presumably by Americans) and that a lot of properties come on the market. Fairmile Lane is also well placed for the ACS, so that may explain some of the signs, but additionally, some of those houses were previously for sale (not just the New Builds).

I doubt that Fairmile lane is indicative of the whole of Elmbridge, but would be interested if anyone else has seen this sort of activity.

We shall see...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=9982827

this house was for sale at 595k back in 2008

i feel sick seeing the price as i viewed it with family and we thought it was overpriced then.

Sold in 2008 for £837k.. in three years, no extentions. It has had a refurb and new garden wall though.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35211575.html

HOLA4420

Sold in 2008 for £837k.. in three years, no extentions. It has had a refurb and new garden wall though.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35211575.html

2008 was the nadir as well. Prices on good places have moved up 20-25%, but not so much on the less good ones.

so being generous, it might fetch 1.05M if not done up, then there is the foxtons premium...

However, MRN is not a premium road, so I would say, even done up, 1M tops.

Seriously, we would have bought it for 595, as it would have been a bargain. I remember that house, as some friends went to see it. It certainly wasn't 595, probably 895, so maybe WestLondonGuy mis-typed?

HOLA4421

2008 was the nadir as well. Prices on good places have moved up 20-25%, but not so much on the less good ones.

so being generous, it might fetch 1.05M if not done up, then there is the foxtons premium...

Seriously, we would have bought it for 595, as it would have been a bargain. I remember that house, as some friends went to see it. It certainly wasn't 595, probably 895, so maybe WestLondonGuy mis-typed?

Yes, I did notice it was our friends from Foxtons!!

What would you consider to be Prime roads in Hinchley Wood? I agree with the £1m tops price on that house. I have noticed some improving value in the 3/4 bed semis but detached are still commanding and in most cases achieving top heavy prices.

HOLA4422

Couchmore Avenue update...

I have posted previously on a couple of new developments. Here is an update on the Gables.

The Gables used to be one house with a large garden. The house/plot was bought for 1.075m.. They built four x 4 bed semis and marketed each £700k.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-30891325.html

They were originally marketed for £735k. Anyway at £700k they are now all sold. Lets say they all went for £700k. It would be nice to know the cost of build. We can then work out profit on one plot.

HOLA4423

Yes, I did notice it was our friends from Foxtons!!

What would you consider to be Prime roads in Hinchley Wood? I agree with the £1m tops price on that house. I have noticed some improving value in the 3/4 bed semis but detached are still commanding and in most cases achieving top heavy prices.

Oh I have no idea on HW. I think Manor Road South is more highly regarded than North.

I would say that the chesterfield Drive/Cumberland drive roads are probably better than the ones at the other side of the bypass, and certainly those ones aren't selling at the insane foxtons "valuation" of that house on MRN. IIRC, the friends of ours thought it was poor value as it was in need of a lot of expensive work. Looks like that has now been done and baked into the asking price. :)

This house could be a good indication of what is to come, although you can never tell with out of towners who don't know the area.

HOLA4424

Oh I have no idea on HW. I think Manor Road South is more highly regarded than North.

I would say that the chesterfield Drive/Cumberland drive roads are probably better than the ones at the other side of the bypass, and certainly those ones aren't selling at the insane foxtons "valuation" of that house on MRN. IIRC, the friends of ours thought it was poor value as it was in need of a lot of expensive work. Looks like that has now been done and baked into the asking price. :)

This house could be a good indication of what is to come, although you can never tell with out of towners who don't know the area.

I suppose we all have a differing view on what is Prime. I agree that Chesterfield and Cumberland would be considered prime. To me though, both roads are narrow, gardens seem on the smallish side from what I have seen and with both Hinchley schools at the bottom of Chesterfield they become grid locked for drop off and pick up in the mornings.

Price differences would also make you correct on Manor Road south being more highly regarded than North. However, with kids I would much prefer MNR so they would not have to cross the very busy A309 to get to school. Plus the shops/Station are in MNR.

I suppose having young kids was a massive factor in trying to avoid properties on what we class as the wrong side of the A309....

I suppose coming from Inner London, I don`t mind a bit of hussle and bustle :)

Manor drive ticks all my boxes.

HOLA4425

No mistype i remember it very well it was shocking inside although the new owners have just done a very mild update 20k max.

still 500k for 3 years bloddy hell.

why do people consider hw as esher ? it is a poor subsitute with two main roads that have half decent houses but are busy and noisey.

the family did buy in claygate and i know we have made a nice wedge in the past couple of years but that house from 595 is just crazy

bob you lost out there myfriend.