House Price Crash Forum

Bbc 6 O' Clock News

Guest Popalot

HOLA441
Guest Popalot

OK - on Saturday night a Middle Eastern man took 15 friends to a bar near Oxford St and spent £106,000 on the bar bill, with over 10,000 as the tip.

What does this tell us? Anyone read "Decline and Fall?"

HOLA442
Guest Charlie The Tramp
OK - on Saturday night a Middle Eastern man took 15 friends to a bar near Oxford St and spent £106,000 on the bar bill, with over 10,000 as the tip.

No, this tells me the poor b****r was well and truly ripped off. :rolleyes:

Sheesh that £6.4k per person

HOLA443

Nice of him to put some of our money back. Share the only thing he could find to spend it on was booze...

HOLA444

No, but have you read The Prize. Its all about the global oil industry. I have to say, London today reminds me a lot of the stories that people have told me about what happened when Arab oil money hit London in the 1970s.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest tbatst2000

Well, I have read Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and it was quite tough going I admit. IIRC, Gibbon's main thesis was that the empire fell because the Romans got soft and and started paying other people to do their fighting for them. Not really sure how this relates to the Arab gentleman above though.....

HOLA447

This tells me some poor ***tard is going to be mighty pi$$ed off when he finds out his Egg credit card has been cloned by a nice call centre chappie. :unsure:

HOLA448

I read it when I was 14 and have re-read it since. One of Evelyn Waugh's funniest novels.

HOLA449
No, but have you read The Prize. Its all about the global oil industry. I have to say, London today reminds me a lot of the stories that people have told me about what happened when Arab oil money hit London in the 1970s.

Marvellous, time to get out those 'Sweeney' DVD's, and remind ourselves how London was in the 1970's. Only according to a friend of mine (now retired from the Met) the corruption etc... in the Flying Squad at the time was ten times worse than portrayed in the series!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Popalot
Well, I have read Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and it was quite tough going I admit. IIRC, Gibbon's main thesis was that the empire fell because the Romans got soft and and started paying other people to do their fighting for them. Not really sure how this relates to the Arab gentleman above though.....

"No longer confronted by the external threat [Carthage] the Romans could relax and give themselves up ambition, avarice, luxury and lust......." Levick "Morals Politics and the fall of the Roman Republic.

translate

"No longer held to account by governments or institutions, people took out unlimtes amounts of credit and gave themselves up ambition, avarice, luxury and lust......." Popalot "Morals, Politics and the fall of the Chav Republics."

:lol::lol::blink:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413