House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Brown Commits To Almost Doubling Housing Budget To 8bn

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070723/tuk...ng-fa6b408.html

8 bln pounds to be invested in housing
Reuters -
1 hour 27 minutes agoLONDON
(Reuters) - The government will invest 8 billion pounds over the next three years on increasing the supply of affordable housing, Housing Minister Yvette Cooper said on Monday.
Cooper told parliament this would represent a 3 billion pound increase compared to the previous spending review.

What is going on here? The miracle that made housing unaffordable and the immigration policies that exacerbated an already dire situation and NOW he wants to build???

Legacy building more like it. I think it is getting through to the public that the economic miracle was not a good idea after all and that a crash will harm an awful lot of people. Social unrest over housing shortages, perceived or real, is becoming an issue as people get fed up with government policy on overcrowding. Brown has been listrening to Ian Bradley who has written extensively on "Britishness" and the loss of sense of community caused by:_____________?

BBC tonight. Panorama on the isue of immigration and the "true" numbers.

Edited by Realistbear

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070723/tuk...ng-fa6b408.html
8 bln pounds to be invested in housing
Reuters -
1 hour 27 minutes agoLONDON
(Reuters) - The government will invest 8 billion pounds over the next three years on increasing the supply of affordable housing, Housing Minister Yvette Cooper said on Monday.
How many houses is £8bn do you reckon? About 50,000 tops? Over 3 years that's 17,000 a year.
Look at the conclusions of this report:

http://www.rcep.org.uk/urban/report/eci-apph_housing_stock.pdf' rel="external nofollow">
There are 169,000 new homes built each year in the UK, based on 2002-3 figures (ref A+H)
• We need an extra 83,000 private homes to drive down house price inflation to 1.8% = 252,000 total (ref C)
• We need an extra 142,000 private homes to drive down house price inflation to 1.1% = 270,000 total (ref D)
• We need an extra 31,000 social homes to meet new demand and to tackle backlog = 52,000 total (ref E+F+H)
• To achieve 1.8% house price inflation and to provide enough social housing, the UK needs 283,000 new homes per year (82% of which should be private; 18% social) (ref C+E+F+H)
To achieve 1.1% house price inflation and to provide enough social housing, the UK needs 322,000 new homes per year (84% of which should be private; 16% social)
(ref D+E+F+H)
What was that phrase? Oh yes, like rearranging deck chairs on the Titantic...
Edited by AvidFan

How many houses is £8bn do you reckon?

If they are council houses built on flood plains--an awful lot.

IMO, better to "do an OZ" and restrict immigration then we would not have to add to the carbon print by all that new building.

No U-turn on Iran though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...6798983,00.html

Brown Won't Rule Out Action Vs. Iran
"
Crossing me is like crossing William Wallace
"
Monday July 23, 2007 2:46 PM
LONDON (AP) - British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Monday that tougher sanctions are likely against Iran over its contested nuclear program and declined to reject outright the prospect of future military action.
Brown, holding his first Downing Street press conference, said he believed sanctions aimed at persuading Iran to halt uranium enrichment were working, but predicted a swift new U.N. Security Council resolution aimed at increasing pressure on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Italics mine. ;)

Edited by Realistbear

Repeat after me. Must get more oil...

You realise that "pledge" would have to say "Brown commits to spending £150 billion, 1/3rd of the government's tax take, on housing over the next 3 years" to mean anything at all.

Edited by AvidFan

Repeat after me. Must get more oil...

You realise that "pledge" would have to say "Brown commits to spending $150 billion, 1/3rd of the government's tax take, on housing over the next 3 years" to mean anything at all.

this crisis is caused by them.

they do not have to spend a SINGLE PENNY, let alone 8billion!

local councils could potentially sell off land to developers and investors with planning permission.

i figure my council can sell off 150M^2 plots for £100k if they had planning permission for 3 bed homes.

do this for one million plots. and the government has just made £100billion, not lost 8billion!!!

Edited by cells

If they are council houses built on flood plains--an awful lot.

IMO, better to "do an OZ" and restrict immigration then we would not have to add to the carbon print by all that new building.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/stor...6798983,00.html

Brown Won't Rule Out Action Vs. Iran
"
Crossing me is like crossing William Wallace
"
Monday July 23, 2007 2:46 PM
LONDON (AP) - British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Monday that tougher sanctions are likely against Iran over its contested nuclear program and declined to reject outright the prospect of future military action.
Brown, holding his first Downing Street press conference, said he believed sanctions aimed at persuading Iran to halt uranium enrichment were working, but predicted a swift new U.N. Security Council resolution aimed at increasing pressure on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Italics mine. ;)

Do you really think China is going to agree to more sanctions? They want to buy Iran's oil so no new sanctions IMHO.