House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove Spokesperson Says: Btl Flat Owners Will Sell Up!

I'm guessing, Yvette Cooper must be crapping herself: "house prices dropping when we have a housing shortage!?" :rolleyes:

Relief is on its way to correct the crashing BTL market. Gordon will maintain relaxed immigration controls and hope more nations join the EU soon as Poland is running out of emigres.

Watching SKY this morning and how housing is becoming even more critical following the floods and possible restrictions against building in areas that go under water every 5 years or so. Brown claims he will build 240,000 houses a year which will barely cover his planned immigration levels quite apart from the reported 1.6 million currently priced out and with no council housing available for years given the Government's priorities. They also mentioned that Brown cannot really be Green if he plans to cover the countryside in tarmac and concrete to accomodate millions of new homes over the next decade. Any savings in carbon will be vastly offset by shere population explosions.

Silly bugger he is.

Relief is on its way to correct the crashing BTL market. Gordon will maintain relaxed immigration controls and hope more nations join the EU soon as Poland is running out of emigres.

Watching SKY this morning and how housing is becoming even more critical following the floods and possible restrictions against building in areas that go under water every 5 years or so. Brown claims he will build 240,000 houses a year which will barely cover his planned immigration levels quite apart from the reported 1.6 million currently priced out and with no council housing available for years given the Government's priorities. They also mentioned that Brown cannot really be Green if he plans to cover the countryside in tarmac and concrete to accomodate millions of new homes over the next decade. Any savings in carbon will be vastly offset by shere population explosions.

Silly bugger he is.

Did I miss it some years back or was there never really a reasoned debate on why we should have a more relaxed attitude toward immigration, I'm not arguing entirely against it (why cut off a supply of worthy people if the country needs them?) it just seems like we're letting in any idiot and has extended family without much question. Happy to be corrected on that point, but more what I'm trying to say is when did we go from a stricter attitude to a less strict attitude and why? Was it May 1997 by any chance?

VI Rightmove spokesperson says: "BTL investors in flats and apartments will sell up!!" :P

Can't be right arn't BTLs in for the long term. Though I do recall pre 2000 that Shares are a long term thing until evry man and their dog bail out.

Did I miss it some years back or was there never really a reasoned debate on why we should have a more relaxed attitude toward immigration, I'm not arguing entirely against it (why cut off a supply of worthy people if the country needs them?) it just seems like we're letting in any idiot and has extended family without much question. Happy to be corrected on that point, but more what I'm trying to say is when did we go from a stricter attitude to a less strict attitude and why? Was it May 1997 by any chance?

We never had a debate because the increase was unplanned for 3 reasons :-

1) EU citizens are allowed here so the government could not have stopped it prior to 2003 when they could have stopped Poles etc for a bit

2) The government did not realise how easy it is for students to settle here

3) The increase in number of asylum seekers in the late 90's was unforseen - also the government changed the computer system which meant decisions took a lot longer - so people could not be thrown out.

Immigration is controlable however by doing the following :-

1) Not giving benefits to new immigrants (I am sure it could be possible to give Eu migrants less than they get)

2) Making those who give housing/jobs to illegals pay fines

3) Not let refugees visit their home countries - genuine ones can't anyway. But a lot of false ones claim asylum and then go home on holiday - I know cases.

4) If refugees are found to be demonastrably false (eg going home the day they get status on holiday)charge them with obtaining money by deception.

But no one has the political will to do this.

We never had a debate because the increase was unplanned for 3 reasons :-

You forgot the 4th one:-

Without immigration, this country is b-a-n-k-r-u-p-t!!

Who's gonna pay the pensions of all the old folk when there's more of them than there are working people? If the brits don't have kids themselves, then they gotta import labor from other countries to make up the shortfall. Despite all the bad press, this country has done very very well so far economically out of mass immigration. Of course, it pushes the population bulge problem onto another generation and in the future, it may not be so rosy, and then there's the question of the social cost, environmental sustainability, and the problem of a disaffected pensioned-off domestic underclass, but that's certainly not something politicians lose sleep over when there's short term gains to be had..

Any savings in carbon will be vastly offset by shere population explosions.

(oops sorry for the misquote-edit)

Now thats an tellingly careless statement if I ever heard one.

Its the way that humans live, not the fact that they are living thats the issue surely ?

Edited by pig

It isn't immigrants people object to, it is the way it's happening.

Fine, if we have jobs and they want them, let them come. But they should be fending for themselves.

I've just relocated to look for work, I am an economic migrant who is British but where I was living there were no jobs, so I "got on my bike". So here I am in a strange new town, 200 miles away, looking for work.

But I have not signed on. I have not gone on a list for a house. I've not asked for any help. Hell, they don't even know I am here. I found myself a houseshare that is cheap, I stay in and I eat beans on toast because until I get a job, I don't know where it will be or for how much. I could probably qualify for benefits of some sort - maybe JSA - if I went and asked. Hell, I am probably doing myself out of rent on a 1-bed flat (£500), JSA at £57/week (£245) and council tax paid (£80). So that is £825. But no - I've taken responsibility for myself and am bumbling along earning a few quid (about £350/month) to cover my basics/beans on toast until I get a job.

People these days don't take enough responsibility for themselves - and often they don't think a plan through before starting its execution.

Benefits are for those who need them, unable to help themselves, victims of a change of circumstances.

You forgot the 4th one:-

Without immigration, this country is b-a-n-k-r-u-p-t!!

Who's gonna pay the pensions of all the old folk when there's more of them than there are working people? If the brits don't have kids themselves, then they gotta import labor from other countries to make up the shortfall. Despite all the bad press, this country has done very very well so far economically out of mass immigration. Of course, it pushes the population bulge problem onto another generation and in the future, it may not be so rosy, and then there's the question of the social cost, environmental sustainability, and the problem of a disaffected pensioned-off domestic underclass, but that's certainly not something politicians lose sleep over when there's short term gains to be had..

According to the goverment's figures (which lets face it could be spun to makes things look better than they are) immigration contributes net £2.5 billion to the UK taxman. Hardly a massive boost to considering how much the government spends.

To put it another way immigrants will only just pay enough for the £20 billion cost of the olympics - and that only if the government is not lying - which I doubt.

For more information

http://www.migrationwatch.org/Briefingpape...mic_benefit.asp

2. Government claims for the economic benefit of large scale migration do not survive critical examination. The calculation that immigrants contribute 2.5 billion annually to the Exchequer depends entirely on the period chosen and the assumptions made. The Home Office paper on which it was based describes the estimate as "tentative". Against that, the annual outflow of personal remittances amounts to 3-4 billion a year; the net outflow is about 1.1 billion per year. Claims that migrants add to economic growth ignore the fact that they also add to our population. Correcting for this gives a net benefit to the host community of less than 0.1% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per head per year - a result confirmed by major studies in United States, Canada and Holland. Even this benefit takes no account of the additional economic congestion costs.