House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jackalope

Emigration Ii

As we all seem to be thinking about leaving, in the process of leaving or have actually left I thought it would be interesting to which lucky countries are receiving HPC.co.uk members.

EDIT: forgot to add, Australia 2009 for me, but mainly living in Europe (split between Belgium and Germany) now anyway.

Edited by jackalope

As we all seem to be thinking about leaving, in the process of leaving or have actually left I thought it would be interesting to which lucky countries are receiving HPC.co.uk members.

EDIT: forgot to add, Australia 2009 for me, but mainly living in Europe (split between Belgium and Germany) now anyway.

To be honest, I didn't get that impression from the other thread. I was surprised by the number of people saying that they'd moved abroad but were pleased to move back, or that they didn't think that other places were any better.

I dislike a lot of things about the UK but I'm not naive enough to think that problems don't exist elsewhere. We've lived in the US for two extended spells (with OH's job) and still travel there a lot. I do like the US but really, living somewhere is not the same as being on holiday. I always missed the lack of good local cultural scene where we were. No theatre, hardly any live music, no art scene. Food bland and tasteless. No local pubs. Have to drive everywhere. You don't realise just how dynamic and interesting Britain is until you leave it.

For the record, if I had to leave again to live somewhere, I think France could be a nice place to spend a couple of years. I like their values and lifestyle, and it's near enough to pop back for family and friends etc.

I'm living in Turkey at present been here for 3 years and they pay 20% interest rate on long term deposits, go figure when the UK pays you 5%.

how is it over there?

been trying to convince the parents that a life in turkey would be much easer and better than here.

We lived in NZ for 2 years.

Found that we just swapped one set of problems for another set on the otherside of the world! Returned to the UK last summer and haven't looked back since.

My advice would be to stop listening to folk who run the UK down and limit your reading of the Daily Mail. ;)

To be honest, I didn't get that impression from the other thread. I was surprised by the number of people saying that they'd moved abroad but were pleased to move back, or that they didn't think that other places were any better.

It was about 20-25% who had either gone or were in the process of going. That seemed really high to me, I would have guessed 5-10% maximum.

Isle of Man.

Never been happier, but jobs are tight and property is _extortionate_

No crime, low tax, safe for the kids. Happy days.

Found that we just swapped one set of problems for another set on the otherside of the world! Returned to the UK last summer and haven't looked back since.

My advice would be to stop listening to folk who run the UK down and limit your reading of the Daily Mail. ;)

It depends on what your after in life - for me I have family over there and I have always wanted lots of land - something I can't get in this country. The weather is another big factor - I must suffer from SAD.

I think it's very simplistic to assume that people form their opinions of the UK from reading newspapers or that people want to leave a country purerly brecause they don't like it - I for one love the UK but I doubt I would ever be able to buy five acres of land within a forty minute drive of a big city like Auckland.

Italy at some point during 2008-2010.

I hope for you that you don't plan on moving to anywhere southern than Florence...

It was about 20-25% who had either gone or were in the process of going. That seemed really high to me, I would have guessed 5-10% maximum.

But this isn't "20 - 25%" of the population, it's 20-25% of the respondents on a thread about emigration on a website used by people who want a house price crash and are pretty fed up with the UK.

And you did say something along the lines of "all of us want to emigrate". It's true that some people do but it seems most people don't. As I said, there is a tendency for people to get mixed up between holidays and emigration. They're veryt different. When you live somewhere and try to get ordinary things done like find accommodation and get a driving licence and need medical help, you realise just what a place is like. Tourists in Britain tend to think that our country is marvellous.

Guest happy?
It depends on what your after in life - for me I have family over there and I have always wanted lots of land - something I can't get in this country. The weather is another big factor - I must suffer from SAD.

I think it's very simplistic to assume that people form their opinions of the UK from reading newspapers or that people want to leave a country purerly brecause they don't like it - I for one love the UK but I doubt I would ever be able to buy five acres of land within a forty minute drive of a big city like Auckland.

Is that five acres of land or five acres of sand?

New Zealand 1996

Attempted to return to my home in coastal Wales in 2004 but fell hopelessly short of being able to afford a house there. Holiday home prices. Returned to NZ 2006 - at least rent is cheap here and the scenery is even better but of course it is swings and roundabouts. On balance, I reckon it would not be a very smart move for most Brits right now and relatively low wages here mean that it would generally be a one-way ticket. Western Australia and Canada are more obvious.

I am lucky because I still earn most of my income in sterling and so even with the $NZ so strong, it feels very affordable here. However, I would struggle to live here on an average Kiwi salary or in a regular job - most Brits don't suspect that NZ employment conditions are poor with an American attitude to overtime and holidays - 12-15 days is typical and I have heard many cases of friends in city and hospital jobs who were discouraged from taking all that was due to them - NZ is full of Kiwis who have never had the time to explore their own country. Also, in terms of a salary multiple, NZ property is now surely the most expensive anywhere in the world, and with 10% mortgage rates, I am seriously worried about the future - the average young Kiwi family must be struggling to afford food and bills at these levels, especially since food costs more than in Britain. In the area where we live (Golden Bay) the median salary is a paltry $20,000 (£8K!!) - the median house price about $400,000 (yep - a factor of 20. Beat that!) - the population of about 2200 is crashing as young people get the hell out and who can blame them - usually to Auckland, OZ or London but there are endless takers for holiday homes and just as the population has fallen, prices have risen - sold to 50+ year old owners from some city who rarely visit. It's mid winter now and I would guess that 2 out of 3 properties here are empty and many businesses have closed for a few months. I understand that this picture is repeated across much of rural NZ. We rent - it would be economically foolish to buy. Last year we rented a 3-bed beach house at the best surf beach in New Zealand (Wainui - Gisborne) for the equivalent of £90/week. This place is smaller, but cute and at £50/week including bills, both are very good value. The owners of the beach property were happy to make tax-deductible losses - the mortgage would have been 3x the rent, and for this place, it's informal, cash and not declared, so discounted. Of course in urban centers, rent is nearly as expensive as a mortgage so having a well paid job in a city isn't all that great.

If you can pull the same stunt as I did and continue to earn £'s, live some place where rent is cheap, NZ is a great prospect although paying 39% tax on so much of your income stings a bit. Another parallel thread has already unveiled that many posters on this forum are even further detached from the economic mainstream than I am so for their benefit I should also mention that new migrants to NZ enjoy a 4 year tax holiday on foreign investments.

Been in Dubai for too many years. Canada next month (fingers crossed). I love(d) the UK, but unfortunately I'm knocking on a bit compared to many here, so I constantly compare how life used to be there with how it is now, and project how I see it going. I might be wrong, but we're moving for the kids, not us.

I'm living in Turkey at present been here for 3 years and they pay 20% interest rate on long term deposits, go figure when the UK pays you 5%.

is the currency still lire ? whats the inflation rate ?