House Price Crash Forum

It's Official, I'm Off To Germany

BoomBoom

HOLA441

I finally decided to leave the UK for good. With Goride at the helm things are only going to get worse, and the seeds of more HPI are being sown, regarldess of the eventual consequences. Living standards are going down for most people, resonable jobs are harder and harder to find, and the misery our economy inflicts is becoming more and more evident on the streets.

HOLA442
Guest Charlie The Tramp
I finally decided to leave the UK for good. With Goride at the helm things are only going to get worse, and the seeds of more HPI are being sown, regarldess of the eventual consequences. Living standards are going down for most people, resonable jobs are harder and harder to find, and the misery our economy inflicts is becoming more and more evident on the streets.

It`s a good job this is not WW1 as you would find yourself in front of a firing squad executed for cowardice. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Probably a good decision. What are you going to do for work, or is this a work related move?

HOLA445
Guest Skint Academic

If you can figure out how to move all your stuff over there cheaply then please tell. Removal men cost several thousand. So at the moment we're considering hiring a Luton van and driving it over there ourselves a multitude of times. But as my partner hasn't ever driven in Germany and is scared witless driving anything larger than a car, it's not something we are looking forward to. I did start learning to drive (and really enjoyed it) but had to give up as we couldn't afford the lessons anymore.

Congrats on the choice by the way.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Good for you but why did you chose the most uninteresting country in europe. If you're going to leave go somewhere exciting and decent.

No way, Germany is fantastic. It would be my choice, maybe I'd also consider Denmark and Sweeden.

BoomBoom, what will you be doing for work?

HOLA449
Guest Cletus VanDamme
Good for you but why did you chose the most uninteresting country in europe. If you're going to leave go somewhere exciting and decent.

Another ignorant post. Which part of Germany are you thinking of, or are you just dismissing the whole country.

Of course, you'd want to avoid moving to somewhere like Rostock.

HOLA4410
Another ignorant post. Which part of Germany are you thinking of, or are you just dismissing the whole country.

Of course, you'd want to avoid moving to somewhere like Rostock.

Not the whole country just 90 % of it sucks.

HOLA4411
If you can figure out how to move all your stuff over there cheaply then please tell. Removal men cost several thousand. So at the moment we're considering hiring a Luton van and driving it over there ourselves a multitude of times. But as my partner hasn't ever driven in Germany and is scared witless driving anything larger than a car, it's not something we are looking forward to. I did start learning to drive (and really enjoyed it) but had to give up as we couldn't afford the lessons anymore.

Congrats on the choice by the way.

Don't know how you'll solve the van problem (although they're not much harder to drive than a car, especially on a motorway), but Speedferries' multitrip vouchers are a bargain and they currently have an offer on the 6 trip one: http://www.speedferries.com/speedVoucher6.php

HOLA4412
Not the whole country just 90 % of it sucks.

What a strange thing to say. I've lived in Germany for 10 years, wife is from there, and we wouldn't claim to even know 10% of the country well enough to make a comment like that on it.

HOLA4413
Guest Skint Academic
Don't know how you'll solve the van problem (although they're not much harder to drive than a car, especially on a motorway), but Speedferries' multitrip vouchers are a bargain and they currently have an offer on the 6 trip one: http://www.speedferries.com/speedVoucher6.php

Ooh thanks for that link!

As for the van problem, I reckon a large whip might help solve it. Actually, we have two options. The retired husband of a friend of my parents loves driving and has driven to Germany before. My brother has also driven in Germany. So we're thinking of trying to get them to travel with us for a week at Christmas.

HOLA4414

As for the van problem, I reckon a large whip might help solve it. Actually, we have two options. The retired husband of a friend of my parents loves driving and has driven to Germany before. My brother has also driven in Germany. So we're thinking of trying to get them to travel with us for a week at Christmas.

Unfortunately, the voucher is only valid for one person, who must be on each trip the voucher is used. Even buying normal tickets, they're still the cheapest way I've found to cross the channel.

edit: clarification

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest grumpy-old-man

good luck BoomBoom.

have enjoyed reading your posts, they have adsl in Germany don't they. ;)

HOLA4417

Germany is a long way, Dont forget the price of fuel, less trips the better....

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Archived