House Price Crash Forum
Guest vicmac64

Will Unemployment Rise On The Back Stalling Hpi

Guest vicmac64

With all the negative sentiment about right now - coupled with many families being at breaking point as far as their finances are concerned. Factor in massive overspending on credit cards and mewing to facilitate this (something that must surely decline in the face of tightening credit criteria) - I think we about to see stage two of the HPC unfold.

My background is the furniture trade and I have it on good authority that the picture is anything but rosy right now - to put it succinctly business has fallen off a cliff!

Can anyone else from different retail backgounds tell me what is going on in your sector?

I can see massive redundancies in the furniture sector - and I won't be surprised that this wont hold for the entire retail sector in general.

Welcome to the Great Crash 2!!

With all the negative sentiment about right now - coupled with many families being at breaking point as far as their finances are concerned. Factor in massive overspending on credit cards and mewing to facilitate this (something that must surely decline in the face of tightening credit criteria) - I think we about to see stage two of the HPC unfold.

My background is the furniture trade and I have it on good authority that the picture is anything but rosy right now - to put it succinctly business has fallen off a cliff!

Can anyone else from different retail backgounds tell me what is going on in your sector?

I can see massive redundancies in the furniture sector - and I won't be surprised that this wont hold for the entire retail sector in general.

UNEMPLOYMENT IS THE NEW CPI!!!

just watch as our(tommy cooper) fantastic magician deceives the masses by stating the NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN WORK...OR THE JOBLESS RATE....completely forgetting to mention the horrid expansion in immigration is distorting the figures.

having an extra 400k people enter the country,and only 100000 extra finding employment,leaves a defecit of 300k somewhere!!!!

likewise with the jobless rate,the more people in the country,legal or otherwise the better the figures look.

Taxes have helped bloat the public sector employment to around 5.8 million. We only have the stats office to rely on so I'd be surprised if that's an accurate figure. When the government stops propping the country up and helping itself to the private pensions expect to see unemployment. HPC has masked a lot of ills.

Given the numbers employed by Gordon Brown is Britain a Capitalist society?

Edited by Xurbia

I think unemployment is rising anyway, Stalling Hpi will add to it slightly but is just one of several other reasons that will cause unemployment.eg Mass immigration,HPI itself.Debt, world economic slowdown,Work outsourced to cheap labour countries.etc. etc.Can you think of anymore.

The stats are indeed worrying - for example, 27.3% of all adults in Wales aren't working

There are currently 426,000 adults who are economically inactive in Wales and that has remained roughly constant since devolution. Yes, we have record employment in Wales but whilst the number of adults employed has increased by 35,000 since May 2003 there has not been a corresponding decrease in unemployment or economic inactivity. In complete contrast to what is expected, the number of unemployed people in Wales has risen by 19,000 in the last four years and the number of economically inactive by 18,000. :unsure:

Source: http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/dailyp...-name_page.html

Edited by studdymx

having an extra 400k people enter the country,and only 100000 extra finding employment,leaves a defecit of 300k somewhere!!!!

" ...an extra 400k people enter the country..." - OVER WHAT PERIOD?

" ... only 100000 extra finding employment ..." - OVER WHAT PERIOD?

p

Todays times comments:

Inflation was also buoyed by furniture retailers, who put up their prices at their fastest pace for any June since records began in 1947.

The trouble is, people wont pay it.

I know of people in retail and it's a mixed bag really, fashion is doing well but electronics is pretty poor. Unemployment is rising but modern politicians from both sides don't see it as important enough for the news. I live in Long Eaton in Nottingham which is famous for making furniture. In the last two years the amount of local people working in the factories has fallen there places being taken by cheaper Eastern Europeans.

Shopping in the UK has never been cheaper, but the problem with cheap is that someone or thing somewhere is counting the cost for our love for cheap.

It can't continue, I expect a big rise in in the next few years.

The stats are indeed worrying - for example, 27.3% of all adults in Wales aren't working

Source: http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/dailyp...-name_page.html

I assume this is yet more bleating for cash off the provinces? Some state funded academic that works about 6 hours a week and has a huge index linked civil service pension is prompted to put out the bowl again for money from English taxpayers. If the place has a 42% productivity gap from London then it should skill up, wise up and support itself. Who does the SE of England turn to for a few quid? Oh thats right, it doesnt, it has to keep forking out for the rest.

What I find hard to understand is that they are talking about building more homes (Not cheap homes just more) Where are these people going to come from to buy them without well paid jobs.

I am talking here of many parts of Wales were manufacturing for many years has been where most of the high paid jobs have come from, With this sector now rapidly in decline we have all these ambitious plans for new housing, Whos gonna buy?

With few able to get a mortgage even for a fairly low priced house (Post Crash) renting I feel will still be a big market for the BTL brigade.

Guest d23
Unemployment is rising not falling, the corrupted muppets just cook the books as and when they see it fit.

How 1.7m extra jobless are kept hidden

If like the link you posted, you're suggesting that not counting economically inactive people or those on incapacity benefits in the figures is 'cooking the books' then the books must be well and truly stewed by now. Those figures have remained pretty much constant for over 10 years during which time the UK population has increased by over 2.5 million people.

I'm not excusing this type of dodgy reporting of unemployment figures but to suggest that it's a recent development is misguided imo.

If like the link you posted, you're suggesting that not counting economically inactive people or those on incapacity benefits in the figures is 'cooking the books' then the books must be well and truly stewed by now. Those figures have remained pretty much constant for over 10 years during which time the UK population has increased by over 2.5 million people.

I'm not excusing this type of dodgy reporting of unemployment figures but to suggest that it's a recent development is misguided imo.

I don't remember suggesting it as 'a recent development'. You need to look at the reasons behind why people are economically inactive & not counted. The 'incapacity' excuse to throw money at people who are more than capable of working is 'cooking the books' in my books I am afraid.

Almost a million are claiming incapacity benefit, even though they are fit for work, according to experts at Sheffield Hallam University

I don't remember suggesting it as 'a recent development'. You need to look at the reasons behind why people are economically inactive & not counted. The 'incapacity' excuse to throw money at people who are more than capable of working is 'cooking the books' in my books I am afraid.

Two ******ing right it will.

It will start with 5 people from where I work, plus about another 30 people who depend on us for work which we can't give them i would guess.

So add 35 to next months total will you? lol