House Price Crash Forum

Emigration

HOLA441
HOLA442
There's always been alot of talk about emigration on here. How many people are actually thinking about it or doing it? I think the ratio of people who threaten to do it to those who actually do it is quite high.

An option for 'Tried it but now back home' might be worthwhile too

I gave Sydney a go but it wasn't for me; the UK has it's (many and numerous) faults but so too do all other countries. Horses for courses etc etc but anyone leaving with a view that another country has all the answers is on a hiding to nothing imo.

If some posters on here are to be believed the UK is nothing but a seething dystopian cess pit where socio economic breakdown is imminent and a shot gun and a good supply of tinned food are essential purchases. I agree things are getting worse here in several ways but many of the problems we face are global and for all it's faults I couldn't imagine leaving the UK for anywhere else.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Applying for a visa, and if that is approved im selling my house and its off to Los Angeles.

Its sunnier, cheaper, the people are nicer, Internet is faster, housing is affordable, and there's a hell of a lot more potential for making money. Plus you dont get a ticket for driving 3 mph over the speed limit :)

HOLA445

If you go to Spain, make the effort to learn the language first. It will make your life so much more enjoyable and it will make dealing with the bureaucracy a lot easier. Unless you have come here to retire, you will not enjoy being stuck in an expat ghetto, where whingeing and drinking cheap wine are the main pass times.

HOLA446

I've moved to Canada & it is brilliant. Wonderful way of life, but 1-not so much work there 2- missed family 3-you do miss U.K. things too I agree most problems here are global or there are alternative problems. Having said that, I am yet again comtemplating moving there again. The big hold for me is my family are in U.K. Note- Property is soooooooo cheap in Canada.

HOLA447

I gave Sydney a go but it wasn't for me; the UK has it's (many and numerous) faults but so too do all other countries. Horses for courses etc etc but anyone leaving with a view that another country has all the answers is on a hiding to nothing imo.

If some posters on here are to be believed the UK is nothing but a seething dystopian cess pit where socio economic breakdown is imminent and a shot gun and a good supply of tinned food are essential purchases. I agree things are getting worse here in several ways but many of the problems we face are global and for all it's faults I couldn't imagine leaving the UK for anywhere else.

At least you gave it a try and recognised that the UK was the best place for you. Sydney is a beautiful city, if cities are your bag. I think the British sometimes forget how much we take something as simple as the seasons for granted. Moaning about the rain in July is on a par with enjoying a nice cuppa tea.

I also agree that emigration isn't going to solve anything if you can't make it in your own country; not unless you have some niche skill that has been abandoned back home.

HOLA448

I'm leaving at the end of August.... Australia that is. Been here 35 years and I've had a f*cking gutful.. never liked the place. (Folks brought me here as a kid)

This is a great place if you like BBQs and asinine conversation but not for moi.

HOLA449
I've moved to Canada & it is brilliant. Wonderful way of life, but 1-not so much work there 2- missed family 3-you do miss U.K. things too I agree most problems here are global or there are alternative problems. Having said that, I am yet again comtemplating moving there again. The big hold for me is my family are in U.K. Note- Property is soooooooo cheap in Canada.

Those are the very same things that so far have stopped me seriously considering Canada as a destination away from England (well the first two at least ;) ). I have a decent deposit, especially for Canadian house prices, I love the climate (and even have a Husky - who would be even more enthusiastic than me to move), but really worry about having enough or the right work there, and where to put the family when they come to visit. Solve those and I would be over in a shot!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The grass is actually a lot greener in the UK than where I am from (the grass is brown in Texas). Just speaking of the color of the grass. As for standard of living... well you have to pick your battles. Yes we had a 2000 square foot house for $150k. However, within a year of purchasing, we got pregnant and paid $12000 out of our own pocket in medical expenses (with insurance mind you). Plus, OH got 5 days a year holiday. So we are back here in the UK. This is the second time I've immigrated... First time was in 2000, then went back to the USA in 2002. Arrived back here December 2006. Another thing I hated about the USA was spending 3 hours a day in the car. So... OH and I have tried it both ways and here we are. (OH is British)

Another thing... OH had major difficulty with culture shock and feeling like a fish out of water. This is home.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Yes you do. I did when I was over there ( for 6 years). If anything, they are stricter! (I even got a ticket for jaywalking!)

:blink:

Agreed!! Cops are everywhere! They have very elaborate speed traps set up. Lots of unmarked cars too. Beware. They even hide in car washes.

HOLA4414
Guest Skint Academic

None of those options apply to me. We are actively working towards it and have a date in mind. We first have to pay off debts and get some savings though so we can afford to move. So we're moving our stuff to Germany first, living out of a suitcase rent free with my parents for a year and then moving late 2008 / beginning of 2009. Or if an opportunity comes up we'll move at the end of December 2007.

HOLA4415
There's always been alot of talk about emigration on here. How many people are actually thinking about it or doing it? I think the ratio of people who threaten to do it to those who actually do it is quite high.

I'll probably go to Europe and live in an old caravan.

HOLA4416

Visited 3 friends and family who have done it and all have come back, although HPC hates anecdotal evidence, for me it has been enough to make me stay in the long term.

But I still aim to emigrate with the aim of coming back after a couple of years. I think it is only a small minority have the right mindset and skills to make it permanent though.

I guess "I'd never go, I love Britain, me" ?

Edited by maxwell

HOLA4417

Lived in Switzerland for 18 months straight after uni and have to say, despite HPI I wouldn't look to move abroad again. Beautiful country, but not the most exciting. I think there's too high a cost in terms of losing touch with friends and family. Oh and nobody even tries to buy a house over there despite wages being considerably higher!

HOLA4418

Hmmm... I'm still trying to get in!

Another 3 years till I'm off the work permit

(which will have been nearly 7 years with the same employer - I bet that condition helps hold down wage inflation)

Then hopefully a year or two contracting to catchup with my peers, and off home.

I think the trigger for leaving would be meeting someone and starting a family.

I really haven't figured out how you're suppost to raise kids in Britian.

HOLA4419

Hi all.

Just done it.

Moved to western suburbs of Sydney.

House sold in April against everyone's advice.

Most Brits here seem to let their UK property and buy again in Aus.

Currently looking at places to buy here but I feel Sydneys in for a fall so I'm happy to rent for a few years (wife not so keen).

Generally prices are stagnant and have been for 3-4 years but the EA assures me prices will be up 10% next year - ho ho.

I found out he is selling his BTL :)

The local property paper focuses on a suburb each week.

This weeks shock: Prices in Dural (Our Western suburb) down 14% YoY!!!

Haven't got into the lifestyle yet as still looking for work, schools etc.

How's the Britsh summer going? Sydney just had its coldest day for 20 years and we had to scrap ice from the car this morning.

night, night.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I concur. I would vote for a "Tried and but back home - not leaving again" option.

I have lived all over Europe, and the first thing you notice after some time away is that the UK really is not that bad.

The grass is not always greener.

HOLA4422
Applying for a visa, and if that is approved im selling my house and its off to Los Angeles.

Its sunnier, cheaper, the people are nicer, Internet is faster, housing is affordable, and there's a hell of a lot more potential for making money. Plus you dont get a ticket for driving 3 mph over the speed limit :)

Dont forget the pretentious people, homeless people (bums) everywhere, unreal traffic problems, extortionate housing, unsafe districts, poor quality air, scruffy poluted beaches.. Major tourist attractions that include a white wooden sign and tacky paving slabs. Even the palm trees are imported. Although Its definately sunnier than UK ;)

Sure... LA can make for a fun holiday but all that glitters definately aint gold.

Edited by narco

HOLA4423

Looking at New Zealand once my work experience has increased. Just finished a PhD so not too many years into my working life.

I think today's metro had two quotes that sum up why I am considering leaving

* 1million children are being brought up in households where NO ONE works.

* Violent crime up 21% under labour.

To be honest HPI does not figure too much in my plans, NZ is just as bad, at the min.

Phoney

HOLA4424

I'd vote for the "Tried and but back home - at least for the time being" option. Have lived in Switzerland for 3 years, and US for 2 years. Plus had 3 years in Singapore as a child. If the weather here weren't so phenomenally crap I'd probably want to stay permanently. On the plus side here are family and friends, a sense of humour, an appreciation of irony, public manners, and jobs.

On the downside is crap food, uncontrolled immigaration, poor healthcare, education, and high level of stealth taxation.

Housing is more likely to be a problem for my kids than me as I've been on the ladder long enough to build up a decent amount of equity.

This is me sitting on the fence, Leicestershire, England.

HOLA4425
Dont forget the pretentious people, homeless people (bums) everywhere, unreal traffic problems, extortionate housing, unsafe districts, poor quality air, scruffy poluted beaches.. Major tourist attractions that include a white wooden sign and tacky paving slabs. Even the palm trees are imported. Although Its definately sunnier than UK ;)

Sure... LA can make for a fun holiday but all that glitters definately aint gold.

Well I'm living near London so maybe my view of things is slightly skewed. LA certainly has cheaper housing, less pretentious people, and better traffic than where I'm located now. I've already lived there for seven years and loved it, each to their own I guess.

Houses Beverly Hills are selling for around $800 / sq ft, so 400 GBP. Its expensive, but not really that expensive compared to London. The market has cooled off over the last two years but prices haven't really gone down at all.