House Price Crash Forum

Migrant Influx Has Kept A Lid On Wages - Bloomberg

dnd

HOLA441

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

The strength of economic growth has also attracted record migration from overseas, increasing the number of workers in Britain. The U.K. received 49,000 workers from the European Union's 2004 eastern entrants in the first quarter, up from 48,000 a year earlier. The number of employed people was a record 29.08 million in the quarter through May, the statistics office said today.

The influx has kept a lid on wages. Growth in pay, excluding bonuses, was an annual 3.5 percent in the three months through May. The median economist forecast for salary increases -- both with and without bonuses -- was 3.6 percent.

Edited by dnd

HOLA442

Most of the white people where I live in Sluff are Polish. I doubt that I am exaggerating.

I think that EE's coming here and stealing jobs amounts to the same thing as scabs crossing a picket line, but obviously it's employer lobbies that have caused governments to open us up in this way.

We should have been even more inventive with our benefits. Minimum wage plus dole or help with housing, that kind of thing, rather than fill up on slaves who are prepared to live many to a room or shed...

We have well and truly shafted our upcoming generations.

Well done.

Edited by Bushy Tail

HOLA443
Most of the white people where I live in Slough are Polish. I doubt that I am exaggerating.

I think that EE's coming here and stealing jobs amounts to the same thing as scabs crossing a picket line, but obviously it's employer lobbies that have caused governments to open us up in this way.

We should have been even more inventive with our benefits. Minimum wage plus dole or help with housing, that kind of thing, rather than fill up on slaves who are prepared to live many to a room or shed...

Well done.

Crossing a picket line does not make you a scab, it means you have some work ethic. If you don't like what you get paid, get a job elsewhere. If you are not qualified or bright enough to do anything else, shut up, eyes down and get working.

HOLA444
In my day we got up for work at 5 in et morning and went to our et beds at 8 at night. They didn't pay us any money but they did give taters and a roof over r heads like. On Sundays we ate Hovis and walked up et cobbled street bare foot to buy it. Dad would give us coal for Christmas, and me nan would give us a smack if we were lucky.....I they were good times

ROTFLMAO!

You are Victor Meldrew's Dad and I claim my £5, or £10 dollars and 2 cents.

HOLA445
Most of the white people where I live in Slough are Polish. I doubt that I am exaggerating.

Well done.

We should be doing the exact opposite!! This is one of the biggest problems in this country. We are making unskilled workers - living in the uk, entirely dependent on handouts - whilst importing unskilled workers from abroad (due to economic demand).

Then you wonder why it doesn't pay to work. Hmmm

Subsidies/handout always serve to encourage more dependence in ever greater numbers.

Edited by studdymx

HOLA446

Well done.

Somebody on here suggesting watching the film, the grapes of wrath,

so i did.

It was uncannily relevant to the world today. People in Oklahoma were being forced off their land, losing

their homes and means of making a living. The only ray of hope was the leaflets saying that there was plenty of work in California, so thousands of families move west in search of work. Becoming economic migrants.

When they get there they find there is little work and an overwhelming number of desperate people chasing it.

So therefore creating this situation were wages are being forced down to below subsistance levels.

Nowadays they have a fancy name for it, Globalisation, so that makes it OK.

Edited by Fudge

HOLA447
Crossing a picket line does not make you a scab, it means you have some work ethic. If you don't like what you get paid, get a job elsewhere. If you are not qualified or bright enough to do anything else, shut up, eyes down and get working.

Like better paid jobs grow on trees, if the chances of me getting a job and getting paid enough to live on are affected by mass immigration 'Just because employers want cheap' then I have every right to complain, especialy when the pricing structure of the cost of living in the UK is geared to the rich, not working people. Nothing to do with being bright enough either, employers just want the newest employee on the block, in my case an Indian in Bangalore, I hope your wages and benefits you obviously beleive you earn degrade as quickly as they have for many UK workers, you obviously deserve it. 'Mr Daily Mail reader' Also, this idea of work ethic is a load of bull*hit, the average CEO or so called company executive does not by any measure earn anything like the money they are paid, its all of the backs of the workers and devious and dishonest dealings, only a complete fool would belive otherwise.

HOLA448
Guest tbatst2000
ROTFLMAO!

You are Victor Meldrew's Dad and I claim my £5, or £10 dollars and 2 cents.

More Alf Garnet I would say.

HOLA449

Well done.

this goverment let them in to sustain teh booming golden economy. Very prudent!

HOLA4410
Like better paid jobs grow on trees, if the chances of me getting a job and getting paid enough to live on are affected by mass immigration 'Just because employers want cheap' then I have every right to complain, especialy when the pricing structure of the cost of living in the UK is geared to the rich, not working people. Nothing to do with being bright enough either, employers just want the newest employee on the block, in my case an Indian in Bangalore, I hope your wages and benefits you obviously beleive you earn degrade as quickly as they have for many UK workers, you obviously deserve it. 'Mr Daily Mail reader' Also, this idea of work ethic is a load of bull*hit, the average CEO or so called company executive does not by any measure earn anything like the money they are paid, its all of the backs of the workers and devious and dishonest dealings, only a complete fool would belive otherwise.

Too many words, responses are meant to be short and sweet like this one.

HOLA4411
Somebody on here suggesting watching the film, the grapes of wrath,

so i did.

It was uncannily relevant to the world today. People in Oklahoma were being forced off their land, losing

their homes and means of making a living. The only ray of hope was the leaflets saying that there was plenty of work in California, so thousands of families move west in search of work. Becoming economic migrants.

When they get there they find there is little work and an overwhelming number of desperate people chasing it.

So therefore creating this situation were wages are being forced down to below subsistance levels.

Nowadays they have a fancy name for it, Globalisation, so that makes it OK.

Exactly. I resent this huge army of underclass that have suddenly appeared in my midst. I hear many of the same viewpoints as mine from my previously immigrant neighbours. What is happening now with regards immigration is unprecedented, uncontrolled, and amounts to nothing more than legalised, sanctioned, and blessed slavery. A means to halt salary increases, divide people, and gerrymander. Globalisation grows economies, though the benefit to ours of this influx is credibly contested. The devil is always in the detail.

Answer me this, would you feel uncomfortable if several houses in your street had Poles living multi-occupancy? What about if a neighbour began homing a few in a shed in the garden? That some Poles may benefit still doesn't make what we are doing right. People should consider why most of Europe choose not to do the same as us. Government's appear to be far more respectful of their electrorates wishes in France and Germany than in the UK.

Lobbies run all governments, but ours is especially corrupted. We live in a fascist state, since our state has melded with corporate interests and is run primarily for those interests. Which is why I have never voted, despite being in my 30's.

HOLA4412

Thats what they said about the miners who crossed the picket line in 1984-85

They wanted to work and had the right to work.

So they worked and therefore ensured defeat for the strike.

The outcome, all the pits were closed, and all made unemployed at a time when there already was mass unemployment.

Not only the mining industry was decimated but power stations, steel works, railways in fact the beginning of the decline of the manufacturing industry in this country.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The miracle economy has to be paid for somehow. With inflation now beyond the ability of the BoE to control (credit markets call the shots now) wage suppression is the only thing left in Gordon's anti-inflation arsenal. Immigration has a double benefit for Gordon. Increasing the size of the population through mass immigration from low wage countries will keep hp-inflation alive and wages suppressed. The twin pillars of Brownism.

As with all miracle economies there is always a flaw. Hyper-inflation is one of the main by-products of the credit excess we have suffered through for the past 10 years. The second is unemployment caused by inflation related currency over-valuation. Global economics means, simply, those who can get product to market cheapest win. China has been winning as we move in the opposite direction.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I'm very sorry that the significance of that point is lost on you, but there really is no need to be so rude.

What significance was that?

That slavery is legal therefore right? That going against the electrorate is legal therefore is right?

Come on, find your pills, furnish me with more details.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
ffs i can't believe people are still voting labour - clearly they are still voting on the spin/pr

they may as well implement ANY policy they like - nobody appears to be taking any notice :lol:

The "miracle" still exists in the minds of the sheeple. Some more sharp drops in house prices and its over for Gordon.

HOLA4420
several houses in your street had ... living multi-occupancy? What about if a neighbour began homing a few in a shed in the garden?

I've just seen this wholesale where I've moved from. A neighbour had 6 to a room in bunk beds. Had them up in the loft too. Fire brigade would come round and turf a bunch out every now and again and 2 days later they were back in.

There was an old shed in the garden - 10'x12' - not a nice shed. And "garden" was only 17'x30' ... he had 3 in there too. Ran an extension socket out for power. £40/week each.

Must have had 25 people in that house. £40/week each. £1000/week. All Poles building new flats for Londoners (including celebs) to buy up (possibly to flip I suspect).

Issues:

1) They were young and crowded into rooms - they were on an adventure to squirrel away money/send it back home; they were only going to be around for a couple of years max. NOT building a home/family/future. Just earn and run.

2) Damned council tax bill on that house was £1200/year. So that's about £50/person per year. Mine with single occupancy was £900.

3) With migrants being happy to live stacked high and cheap as they are in it for the short term, this has been another nail in the coffin leading to our widening gap between rich and poor - bosses driving down wages of your every day worker because they can always get somebody cheaper, somebody who won't know "the rules" or care as they aren't trying to sustain a life/future, just make some quick £££££s

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I've just seen this wholesale where I've moved from. A neighbour had 6 to a room in bunk beds. Had them up in the loft too. Fire brigade would come round and turf a bunch out every now and again and 2 days later they were back in.

There was an old shed in the garden - 10'x12' - not a nice shed. And "garden" was only 17'x30' ... he had 3 in there too. Ran an extension socket out for power. £40/week each.

Must have had 25 people in that house. £40/week each. £1000/week. All Poles building new flats for Londoners (including celebs) to buy up (possibly to flip I suspect).

Issues:

1) They were young and crowded into rooms - they were on an adventure to squirrel away money/send it back home; they were only going to be around for a couple of years max. NOT building a home/family/future. Just earn and run.

2) Damned council tax bill on that house was £1200/year. So that's about £50/person per year. Mine with single occupancy was £900.

3) With migrants being happy to live stacked high and cheap as they are in it for the short term, this has been another nail in the coffin leading to our widening gap between rich and poor - bosses driving down wages of your every day worker because they can always get somebody cheaper, somebody who won't know "the rules" or care as they aren't trying to sustain a life/future, just make some quick £££££s

I was shopping at Costco (best shop in the world IMO) in Brum a few months ago and there was a gentleman of Asian extraction buying 6 large plastic sheds. Each would hold up to 10 wage suppressors.

HOLA4423
Semantics.

Remember that detail thing? Have you taken your Ritalin?

Mr BNP....Polish people are actually very nice people in the main.

They are also very hard working, and diligent.

The people whose jobs they are taking are lazy, bodging, cowboys.

ps. I'm not polish.

At the end of the day, migrant workers are a short term solution to a long term problem, which will rear its ugly head again soon.

HOLA4424

Nazir Afzal, CPS director in west London. "We are now seeing 'slave auctions' being held in public places at airports where brothel keepers are bidding for women destined for prostitution."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article...ions/article.do

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1790298,00.html

Mass immigration and wages deflating in comparision to basic housing needs creates the biggest wealth gap in post war UK History.

http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/companies/...18-1783_2148479

People do not get wealthy through work and risk taking. They get wealthly through cushy jobs, property tax breaks,

GPs 'earn up to £250,000 a year' - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4917454.stm

ever rising property prices, as others bare the brunt of mass immigration in the labour market, and are forced to pay their public/government sector salaries and pensions with huge taxes and outragoiusly pay the rents and housing costs of those workers undercutting them in the labour market. (accomodation costs to the landlords from general taxation for millions of low skilled bodies).

The rich don't pay tax.

3 out of 4 immigrants are from Pakistan and Bangledesh/Indian subcontient/Africa not the EU.

Edited by brainclamp

HOLA4425

Where I live the council has admitted to finding dozens of multi-occupancy garden sheds and homes.

Due to man-power, they will now only investigate multi-occupancy sheds and 3 storey houses (not 1 or 2 storey). For a while the bungalow next door to me had a Polish husband/wife and child living in a 12ft by 10ft living room.

Edited by Bushy Tail