House Price Crash Forum

First Time Renting Advice

halfwayinn

HOLA441

Hi all,

My Girlfriend & I are currently looking to rent, both of us are starting out as far as property goes and I can't find any advice regarding monthly budgets etc. I guess that's because rent costs/household bills differ up & down the country and from person to person so I understand I'm asking a really general question here.

I was wondering how much every month you put aside to cover rent/bills/shopping etc (as an overall figure). We're looking to rent in the Tottington/Ramsbottom/Helmshore/Rossendale way of Greater Manchester, we've been looking at houses in the region of £450-£600 pcm.

If you can share any of your experiences or give me a rough guide of how to work out what we will need I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

HOLA442

Here's some approximate costs (for single living, so will need adjusting as appropriate) (pcm)

Rent: up to you

Council Tax: from £80

Elec: £15

Gas: £20

Water/Sewage: £20

Contents insurance: £15

Food/Shopping:£130

Don't forget the other stuff though:

Car (insurance, tax, petrol, MOT, servicing) - £100-200?

Mobile phone (line rental, calls, insurance) - £20-???

Phone/Broadband: £30?

plus any other direct debits you may have, eg, TV Licence, gym membership, society memberships, student loans

Depressing when you think about it....

MSE (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/index.php) may be a good place for more info

HOLA443

I live in Bolton, so pretty close, rent is £500 a month and the rest monthly;

Council Tax in band B - £103

Gas - £30 - Npower

Electric £40 - Npower

Tv Licence - £12

Water - £20 - United Utilities

Contents Insurance £10

Phone/Tv/Broadband - £50 - Virgin Media

HOLA444
Hi all,

My Girlfriend & I are currently looking to rent, both of us are starting out as far as property goes and I can't find any advice regarding monthly budgets etc. I guess that's because rent costs/household bills differ up & down the country and from person to person so I understand I'm asking a really general question here.

I was wondering how much every month you put aside to cover rent/bills/shopping etc (as an overall figure). We're looking to rent in the Tottington/Ramsbottom/Helmshore/Rossendale way of Greater Manchester, we've been looking at houses in the region of £450-£600 pcm.

If you can share any of your experiences or give me a rough guide of how to work out what we will need I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Each month just bung £100 each into a separate account (to clarify, £200/month). That'll more than do it. Then see how your particular costs go over time as the bills come in.

And don't forget: put a jumper on, not the heating; turn down thermostats; turn off lights if you aren't in a room; fit energy saving lightbulbs everywhere; don't leave the tap running while you're brushing your teeth.

:)

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

HOLA445
HOLA446

You don't need insurance if you don't have anything you can't afford to lose. This is likely if this is your first home and it is furnished, but if youhave computers, jewelery and hi fi equipment then you may need to insure them.

Council tax is around £100

I have telephone and broadband for about £10 a month from Direct Save Telecom, including all normal phone calls all day for the first hour. I went for DST as they have monthly contracts rather than 12/18 months like BT (although there is a £50 disconnection fee).

I don't pay TV licence as I watch using channel 4 on demand, which hopefully ITV and the BBC will start doing. You can stream ITV live on the internet, but need a licence for this.

My rent is £650

Water is £25 but you save loads by renting a place with a water meter.

Not sure what gas/electric is £40 per week

Food shopping for two people is £40 per week, but we cook most things from scratch

Don't forget your mobile 'phones.

If you are moving you may have higher transport costs to work.

HOLA447
HOLA448