House Price Crash Forum
Converted Lurker

New Poverty And Wealth Maps Of Britain Reveal Inequality To Be At 40-year High

This news features heavily today, here's the main release together with a link to the full on study for the anoraks amongst us :o:unsure:

A new way of comparing poverty and wealth trends across Britain shows inequality has reached levels not seen for over 40 years. This is according to research released today (17 July) by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation. A second report, published simultaneously, has found that the public believes the gap between rich and poor people is too large...

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...&cat=44-0-0

This news features heavily today, here's the main release together with a link to the full on study for the anoraks amongst us :o:unsure:

A new way of comparing poverty and wealth trends across Britain shows inequality has reached levels not seen for over 40 years. This is according to research released today (17 July) by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation. A second report, published simultaneously, has found that the public believes the gap between rich and poor people is too large...

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...&cat=44-0-0

This is the direct result of Brownism. The "miracle" economy.

How long will it last? For as long as Brown can keep HPI moiving forward. As goes HPI so goes Sterling and the rest of Brown's miracle.

surprise, surprise, Gordon gets in and it's all inequality this and poverty that.....

there is almost no poverty in the proper sense in the UK - almost everyone (who is not fckued up either through mental health, drug dependency or similar) has a roof over their heads, food on the table etc. - their measure of poverty is laughable - 2/3 of the average wage - what they don't say is how many of these people in poverty choose not to work and live on benefits and cash in hand (which does not show) and how many prefer to pay for drink and fags than insurance, food etc. I will happily pay my whack to help out those who genuinely need help (the single mothers through no fault of their own, the infirm, the elderly etc.) - I baulk at paying for those who do sod all to help themselves and wallow in their own self pity and who are supported by the angst and guilt ridden middle class meddlers. I just do not believe that their measure of poverty is real - have these people seen what the benefits classes spend their money on and how many choose not to work (and how many are taking the p1ss on the long term sick but don't need to be)

It's all part of a campaign to increase taxes to fund the social security budget even further...

This is the direct result of Brownism. The "miracle" economy.

How long will it last? For as long as Brown can keep HPI moiving forward. As goes HPI so goes Sterling and the rest of Brown's miracle.

the 4 horseman of the apologists will be here soon spouting the 'relative poverty' angle <_<

Oops too late... :rolleyes:

Edited by Converted Lurker

surprise, surprise, Gordon gets in and it's all inequality this and poverty that.....

there is almost no poverty in the proper sense in the UK - almost everyone (who is not fckued up either through mental health, drug dependency or similar) has a roof over their heads, food on the table etc. - their measure of poverty is laughable - 2/3 of the average wage - what they don't say is how many of these people in poverty choose not to work and live on benefits and cash in hand (which does not show) and how many prefer to pay for drink and fags than insurance, food etc. I will happily pay my whack to help out those who genuinely need help (the single mothers through no fault of their own, the infirm, the elderly etc.) - I baulk at paying for those who do sod all to help themselves and wallow in their own self pity and who are supported by the angst and guilt ridden middle class meddlers. I just do not believe that their measure of poverty is real - have these people seen what the benefits classes spend their money on and how many choose not to work (and how many are taking the p1ss on the long term sick but don't need to be)

It's all part of a campaign to increase taxes to fund the social security budget even further...

Boll*cks to that. I want to see the Welfare State and the NHS abolished.

Yet again though, like all similar studies, they don't actually put a set of real figures down as what the measures are for poverty. Or at least, at 4am this morning I couldn't find it after following many links in it and on the site.

They bandy about that poverty is "less than 60% of median income" - but don't give you a handy little lookup table to see where you're at/that's at. Although it's hard to know if that is before or after housing costs (as at different times I've seen both figures used) - and also what is the definition of a housing cost (to me it is rent/mortgage, council tax, water)

So - can anybody come up with exact figures for these poverty levels in this report. Or the actual poverty level (by providing a link that proves conclusively how much it would be for a single person, a couple with 0 kids, couple with 1 kid, couple with 2 kids ... etc if possible).

That aside, I've been living under the poverty line (by any calculations I could find) for the last 5 years and when you're down there you realise that the world doesn't know you exist. Mainly because you don't interact with others so they've no idea what "no money" really means.

People assume that those around them can afford their bills - and "I have no money" means "Oh I've just bought another gadget, been binge drinking and booked another short break so a bit skint". They don't realise it means: I earn £1 and my basic bills are £1.05

And this can only get worse.

The labour party has done a pact with the devil, Capitalism.

Thinking that it could control him, and do some good.

But once the deal was done, he had their souls forever.

Hahahahahaha (Maniac laughing)

IMHO this report just shows there is a widening gap between the rich and poor - regardless of what people define as the "poverty line".

i.e. The Rich are getting richer at a faster rate than the Poor - which inevitably squeezes the middle classes.

Edited by studdymx

And this can only get worse.

The labour party has done a pact with the devil, Capitalism.

Thinking that it could control him, and do some good.

But once the deal was done, he had their souls forever.

Hahahahahaha (Maniac laughing)

I wouldn't call what labour have done capitilism. What they have done in squashed us the little guy by utterly decimating small business with bureaucracy and legislation. Only big business who can afford to operate outside of the UK can keep going in this environment.

Nu Labour are parasitic filth

Edited by Ipodjunky

I baulk at paying for those who do sod all to help themselves and wallow in their own self pity and who are supported by the angst and guilt ridden middle class meddlers.

Why keep picking on the (undeserving?!?) poor all the time. What about the super-rich (foreign & british) in this country who pay, as a percentage of their income, less tax than their cleaners. What about the tax dodges/creative accounting techniques they use to evade tax and exploit tax-loopholes created by Gordon Brown. How many billions of pounds does this amount to?

Right now, in London at least, its the mega-wealthy elite that are causing the inflationary HPI not the poor, its the mega rich that are squeezing the middle classes not the other way round <_< Or have you not realised this yet?

Shouldn't the Joseph Rowntree foundation now be renamed the "Nestle Foundation" - considering the acquisition of Rowntrees in the 1980's? If selling powdered milk to the poor in Africa is lucrative, then so is selling convenience foods and sweets to the poor of Britain.

Edited by BarrelShifter

I think Nu Labour have just pulled up the ladder behind big business with their twisted policies. You have to hand it to them they are the masters of spin as most of the population has bent over and happily been shafted.

Housing ladder fell over long ago as has the social one. I wonder how long it will be until labour reintroduce belief in the great chain of being with gordy clown at the top.

Edited by Ipodjunky

I think Nu Labour have just pulled up the ladder behind big business with their twisted policies. You have to hand it to them they are the masters of spin as most of the population has bent over and happily been shafted.

Housing ladder fell over long ago as has the social one. I wonder how long it will be until labour reintroduce belief in the great chain of being with gordy clown at the top.

Yes, and this zombie nation is sleepwalking into a police state. As long as people feel wealthy because of their over-priced houses, they don't complain. Things could turn quite nasty if the crash materialises.

Why keep picking on the (undeserving?!?) poor all the time. What about the super-rich (foreign & british) in this country who pay, as a percentage of their income, less tax than their cleaners. What about the tax dodges/creative accounting techniques they use to evade tax and exploit tax-loopholes created by Gordon Brown. How many billions of pounds does this amount to?

?

how many billions do you think those people spend in the UK ? What is it spent on ? And tell me what happens if he ups tax on them. What will their cleaners, chauffeurs, accountants, housekeepers, gardeners, nannies, shoppers, decorators, estate agents, lawyers, and all the people that rely on these peoples' income do then ?

Who are the rich?

Putting aside the mega rich 1%.

A large strata is developing, accounting for c20% of the population typified as follows:

Multi property owners

Main resi of substantial value

Very focused on investment as a way of life

Equity is significant

This sector are moving away from the rest fast.

I know many such people. On the programme 'Essex wives' the women described thier men as 'dynamos' as thier Mens every waking hour is focused on adding wealth. I see these people every day and for them a couple of million in equity is the absolute minimum requirement.

So what you're saying is that a return to a society which consists of a super rich elite and a servile underclass is acceptable? The inequality of wealth distribution might allow a huge swathe of the population to subsist on government handouts or the feeble wages paid by the super-rich, but does it bode well for the future? You are basically saying that we should accept this because it keeps people in jobs. I say it should be challenged and that people should be educated into expected better and having the vision, self respect and courage to seek the same opportunities and riches that this contemptuous mob of russian billionaries, bankers and wealthy industrialists currently enjoys.

So what you're saying is that a return to a society which consists of a super rich elite and a servile underclass is acceptable? The inequality of wealth distribution might allow a huge swathe of the population to subsist on government handouts or the feeble wages paid by the super-rich, but does it bode well for the future? You are basically saying that we should accept this because it keeps people in jobs. I say it should be challenged and that people should be educated into expected better and having the vision, self respect and courage to seek the same opportunities and riches that this contemptuous mob of russian billionaries, bankers and wealthy industrialists currently enjoys.

so get educated and go make the money, but don't pretend that everyone should be handed more of life on a plate - the safety net is there - it's now so comfortable millions don't want to leave it.

I'll be quite happy to join the bankers and industrialists (hopefully) ta - though given I will have worked hard to get it, will you begrudge me that - or should I give it to the doleites and chavs so they don't have to try ? The 'elite' is a tiny number - localised and they only really worry themselves. The majority of people need to improve their own lot, not decide that someone else should do it for them.

so get educated and go make the money, but don't pretend that everyone should be handed more of life on a plate - the safety net is there - it's now so comfortable millions don't want to leave it.

I'll be quite happy to join the bankers and industrialists (hopefully) ta - though given I will have worked hard to get it, will you begrudge me that - or should I give it to the doleites and chavs so they don't have to try ? The 'elite' is a tiny number - localised and they only really worry themselves. The majority of people need to improve their own lot, not decide that someone else should do it for them.

Ey up lad, I'm gonna join't bankers and industrialists like... innit?

dunce.jpg

Edited by Bushy Tail

Ey up lad, I'm gonna join't bankers and industrialists like... innit?

Aye, and please tell me what part of my bootstraps I need dragging up by to get there. As you seem to be so confident that it's unattainable - which means you must know what to is required to be there ....

Or should I sit here and collect my minimum wage from my dead end job and just doff my cap to these people in the street as they pass in their chauffeured cars, whilst I sit with Bob (Cratchit) and earn sixpence an hour.

No, I'll get my Oxbridge degree and do 15 years of corporate finance in the world's financial centre.