House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MarkG

Au Revoir

Just thought I'd mention that I won't be around much in future; I've just left work, I'm about to cancel my broadband and pack my computer away, then I'm off across the Atlantic in a few days. Probably drop in now and again, but not on a regular basis.

I never thought that Brown and the BoE could keep the housing market propped up this long when I joined the site, but it finally looks like things are on the brink of turning into a decent-sized crash. So good luck to everyone who's staying!

Just thought I'd mention that I won't be around much in future; I've just left work, I'm about to cancel my broadband and pack my computer away, then I'm off across the Atlantic in a few days. Probably drop in now and again, but not on a regular basis.

I never thought that Brown and the BoE could keep the housing market propped up this long when I joined the site, but it finally looks like things are on the brink of turning into a decent-sized crash. So good luck to everyone who's staying!

Mid-life crisis?

Oh come on MarkG. Do tell! They have Broadband in the US you know.

You could be the HPC official correspondent from the USA - or are you going to go hiking around the wilderness.

Best of everything accross the pond. If you are going to the US you will find cheap houses everywhere except the NW which is the last holdout against the inevitable!

Brown has done a masterful job in keeping the miracle going but I think its out of his hands now and very much in the lap of the credit markets and they are going to squeeze his miracle hard in the coming days and weeks. Its all over bar the screaming and wailing.

Guest grumpy-old-man

Hi MarkG.

will miss your posts.

Good Luck & no doubt I will be saying the same in about 1 year.

Guest Bart of Darkness

All the very best for the future Mark, try and pop back now and again and let us know what you think of life across the pond (I'm assuming it's the USA rather than Canada that you're going to?)

TTFN.

Brave. Good luck. - can I come?

All the very best for the future Mark, try and pop back now and again and let us know what you think of life across the pond (I'm assuming it's the USA rather than Canada that you're going to?)

TTFN.

I thought it was Canada?

Any road, all the best Mark, glad to learn that your plan has finally come to fruition. Don't be a stranger though, we need all the high quality posters we can get.

Guest xeouialp

I would add my hearty good wishes on your tragic departure but unfortunately I seem to have got two fingers stuck down my throat so am going to have to call NHS Direct instead.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Good luck in Canada Mark. You're one of the best posters on here, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Keep us posted.

Yess, it was always Canada. The only question is where?

The flat part :). Mostly because that's where my girlfriend lives.

East coast getting cheaper, west coast very expensive still I think.

Yeah, prices where I'm going have been rising in the last two years, but seem to have stabilised, if not begun to drop. We did bid 130k pounds for a three-bed detached house with garage a few days ago but the owner wanted 10k more and it's overpriced as it is... so it's back on the market again. I think they'll be lucky to get what they're asking, only one other person bid on it and they wouldn't pay more either; prices are just too high for the natives and have been bid up temporarily by those moving in from Alberta with lots of oil money.

Guest xeouialp
Good luck in Canada Mark. You're one of the best posters on here, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Keep us posted.

Give me strength.

As a long time lurker, here's my not particularly generous thoughts.

MarkG is a very smart guy. However he is bombastic, rude, and completely dismisses any viewpoint that doesn't fit his world view. He is now noticing that some of the things people were saying one or two years ago about the likelihood of HPI continuing, statements he completely dismissed in an insulting, arrogant way at the time, have turned out to be true.

This doesn't mean he is stupid, even smart people are wrong sometimes. but he is typical of the very worst HPC zealots in that he reacted to continuing HPI with scorn, denial and bombast. This is a problem because the bear argument is basically right, but some of you people circled your wagons a year or two ago, kept slapping your own backs about how right you were and became disconnected from the real world. it will happen eventually, but pretending it is happening now when it isn't makes you look silly.

If he is really going and not just being a drama queen, I will be glad to see the back of him. Perhaps he will be back in a year or so, once the crash finally kicks in, pointing out how right he was all along. But it is not much use being right that there is a housing crash coming if you are several years out on the timing.

Au revoir MarkG. <_<

Edited by Thalia