House Price Crash Forum
Ologhai Jones

Investment Clubs

People form clubs for all sorts of hobbies, pastimes and goals, so the thought crossed my mind that people might form clubs interested in investments, the stock market, and other similar things...

I think it would be very useful for me to be able to join some kind of investment club so that I can meet up with people on a regular basis and discuss investment ideas and so on.

I've tried Googling, but I don't seem to be turning up anything sensible. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might go about locating any investment clubs in my area, or finding others who would like to be able to get together to 'muddle through' on the whole investment scene? I feel sure there must be groups and clubs out there, if only I knew how to find them!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

People form clubs for all sorts of hobbies, pastimes and goals, so the thought crossed my mind that people might form clubs interested in investments, the stock market, and other similar things...

I think it would be very useful for me to be able to join some kind of investment club so that I can meet up with people on a regular basis and discuss investment ideas and so on.

I've tried Googling, but I don't seem to be turning up anything sensible. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might go about locating any investment clubs in my area, or finding others who would like to be able to get together to 'muddle through' on the whole investment scene? I feel sure there must be groups and clubs out there, if only I knew how to find them!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Boards.asp?fid=5006

Guest muttley

I googled this a few years ago. There were lots of investment clubs that had set up in the late 90's. They were all wound up by late 2001. Funny that.

I think it'd be useful for me to actually locate a local group, i.e. that I can meet up with and discuss investments with. I appreciate that I could participate (or participate more) in some investment-related forum, but I think it'd be so much better to be able to chat for real.

From what I've seen, the 'standard' sort of investment club involves paying some regular and fairly nominal sum (e.g. a few tens of pounds per month) into a pooled fund, and then, as an on-going process, collectively managing a portfolio based upon those contributions.

I don't know that I'd necessarily want to operate that way for various reasons including:

• Investment-wise, I'd quite like the opportunity to be a little bit more independent and unilateral, and
  • I'd like to be able to invest potentially a lot more (and more flexibly) than a regular nominal sum.

Having said that, I don't suppose there'd be any harm in going along with an investment club's portfolio to the tune of a few quid a month (as part of my own portfolio) -- I can always invest additional money, either in whatever places the club has decided for its joint funds (if I feel that the club has made the best choices), or, indeed, wherever else I choose.

The bottom-line for me would be that it could be a great learning opportunity without having to 'go it alone' all the way.