House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winkie

Spot The Disappearing Petrol Stations.

Went to fill up in the usual PS in North London and spotted a sign 'closing down next week' asked the boss why? He said he had sold the land and that they will be building flats on the site, the land was worth more to him than the few pence he was making on a litre of petrol.

That is the 3rd petrol station sold to build on in a 5 mile radius, and now there are queues most of the time in the ones that are left.

Anyone else notice this new trend?

Went to fill up in the usual PS in North London and spotted a sign 'closing down next week' asked the boss why? He said he had sold the land and that they will be building flats on the site, the land was worth more to him than the few pence he was making on a litre of petrol.

That is the 3rd petrol station sold to build on in a 5 mile radius, and now there are queues most of the time in the ones that are left.

Local councils are leaders in this field. In 2004 the government had to step in a stop them selling off school playing fields. They are now eyeing up allotments.

There is no money in petrol retailing, it is the shop element that makes any profit - unless you are talking supermarket filling stations where ecconomies of scale apply

Also lots more environmental regs, Phase 1b of the vapour recovery regs has been in for a few years with phase 2 to come soon, see below, these regs involve considerable costs that barely viable sites cannot absorb

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/ppc/lo.../pdf/pg1-14.pdf

I was speaking to a garage owner (now former owner) a few months back via my job, he was packing up, was sad to be selling up after several generations of his family owning the site, but the land value has risen so high and the profits from fuel sales/vehicle servicing become so low, that it made no sense to him to keep the site going. His children weren't interested in taking it on. Its now well on the way to being houses.

But this sad tale equally applies to lots of small established businesses in town centres. But it will result in employment sites migrating out of town with all the additional problems that this brings - commuting etc

Guest grumpy-old-man

yes, lots of lovely old stone buildings have been knocked down to build barrat boxes on them..... :(

Oh yes. Recently seen a nightclub getting planning for land to be used for flats. Theres a carpark that recently became flats, a kids fun business(slides, ball pits etc) that became flats, a garage that became a 2 bed house courtyard development and a gym that is apparently going to be become flats soon. That's all within a few miles of where I live.

The landscape is just getting more boring by the month.

AFP

This is just another sad consequence of the HPI madness. Farms are also vanishing as the farmers decide to switch their crop to bungalows. It makes you wonder how many successful businesses could have been started in the last 15 years had it not been more profitable to put houses on the land.

This is just another sad consequence of the HPI madness. Farms are also vanishing as the farmers decide to switch their crop to bungalows. It makes you wonder how many successful businesses could have been started in the last 15 years had it not been more profitable to put houses on the land.

yes local pubs, seem an endangered species.

I've just received notification of a planning application to turn a church hall behind my house into flats!

Blasphemy!

Nothing is sacred anymore. ;)

Was stuck on a bus the other day and saw the following 2 things, first a petrol station had been knocked down and they were advertising 'Luxury flats' ' half of them already sold off plan' and accross the road from this was an absolutly massive new Mosque being built. If there was an expression to describe this setup it would have to be an oxymoron, lets face it Luxury flats do not exist on a filthy, grotty, noisy road across the road from a size 10 mosque. (nothing against mosques perse, just the masses of people gathering around outside your 'Luxury Appartment' )

As for petrol stations, within 2 miles of my area there were about 7 three years ago, now only 2, any pubs that were worth visiting have either been deleted or turned into trendy bars for the under 30 alchopop brigade, complete with bouncers on the door.

Nothing is sacred anymore. ;)

landfill sites are going to become prime lifestyle-domicles before too long.

hmm,nice.....I'm sure you'd like to bring your kids up on an old NIREX dump....

I heard a little while back that a church in Ware was being converted into flats. It is surrounded by a large graveyard too. I wonder how the EA will try and spin that one - 'large communal garden', 'surrounded by local history' or 'peaceful neighbours' :blink:

I heard a little while back that a church in Ware was being converted into flats. It is surrounded by a large graveyard too. I wonder how the EA will try and spin that one - 'large communal garden', 'surrounded by local history' or 'peaceful neighbours' :blink:

Dead centre of town... and dead handy for other services.

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

Surely everyone on this thread has missed the point. More property and less dependence on oil is the road to riches, everyone knows that. Convert all petrol stations to flats I say...

landfill sites are going to become prime lifestyle-domicles before too long.

hmm,nice.....I'm sure you'd like to bring your kids up on an old NIREX dump....

... and I'm sure the scented summer air will also be an attraction!

I used to work next door to a large sports field that had once been a landfill site. During summer, whenever it rained, a delightful aroma would drift across to our building. I'd hate to know what we were breathing in!

Occasionally there would be a small wisp of foul-smelling smoke coming up from somewhere on that field where the methane gas had ignited and the local council would turn up and dig up the area (resulting in an even worse smell) in an attempt to repair it.

When they start putting homes on such places it is a sign that people have really lost their marbles when it comes to property! :o

When they start putting homes on such places it is a sign that people have really lost their marbles when it comes to property! :o

soon after all the floodplains and graveyards have been built over no doubt

One building firm not far from me couldn't wait for the petrol station owner to sell up and has managed to squeeze a 3 story block of flats on the site where his car wash used to be, they're now been on the market for £160K a piece, surprisingly no takings, probably get bought as a job lot for social housing in 2 years time.

One building firm not far from me couldn't wait for the petrol station owner to sell up and has managed to squeeze a 3 story block of flats on the site where his car wash used to be, they're now been on the market for £160K a piece, surprisingly no takings, probably get bought as a job lot for social housing in 2 years time.

You don't need petrol, because you daren't take your car out of it's parking space in case they build a block of flats in it's place while you're gone!

Soon,

Britain will be a wasteland of Luxury flats, with no places of work at except for a commute to another country.

:ph34r:

I´m trying to think of somewhere I´d be earning a decent salary but still prefer to live in the UK, unless they posted abu hamza on sealand and I was commuting out to wipe his ****. The pay would be big, and I´d be glad to get back home.

btp

But this sad tale equally applies to lots of small established businesses in town centres. But it will result in employment sites migrating out of town with all the additional problems that this brings - commuting etc

Whats sad about it? The green lobby will be chuffed at the petrol station going. More homes should help ease demand pressure on HPI. Incoming people to support local jobs etc. Whats the problem?