House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bomberbrown

Restrictions: No Dss, No Pets, No Students.

They forgot smokers and DSS too.

Seriously I've seen loads of places that say, "professional couple only, no pets, smokers, DSS or children". It would be interesting a landlord being taken to the European Court of Human Rights for kicking somebody out for having a baby.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-156...1&tr_t=rent

With the obvious exception to the pets, are they allowed to do this? Surely goes against ECHR?

Well yes it's wrong, but even if you didn't put this in the add they would get turned away. Any business who doesn't like the look of one of their customers will turn them away or put in a higher quote just to get rid of them.

Edited by Ipodjunky

Here we go again, sign;

Ok let me put it this way, can any of you let me borrow your car for £100 per month? I smoke 40 per day, my 6 kids will throw food all over the seats. My 2 dogs will pee on the seats and scratch the upholstery. Im on DSS but my cheques are erratic as I keep filling the paperwork in wrong and my bird works so if I get caught for fraud (IE WORKING) YOU have to retrun all the money I gave to you back to the DSS.

Its easy to be generous when it is'nt your property is'nt it

Grow up guys :P

Here we go again, sign;

Ok let me put it this way, can any of you let me borrow your car for £100 per month? I smoke 40 per day, my 6 kids will throw food all over the seats. My 2 dogs will pee on the seats and scratch the upholstery. Im on DSS but my cheques are erratic as I keep filling the paperwork in wrong and my bird works so if I get caught for fraud (IE WORKING) YOU have to retrun all the money I gave to you back to the DSS.

Yes and encouraging stereotypes such as everyone on DSS will commit fraud is SO mature and grown up. There was an article in the paper recently showing that it is the white collar workers who are most likely to commit little frauds, if the feel they're total take for the year isn't high enough.

Here we go again, sign;

Judging by this response, I think its dogbox that needs to grow up :P

* I didn't mention smoking

* If the place isn't in a reasonable state at the end of the tenancy, you'll forfeit some or all of your deposit - thats the point of it.

* Pets exception

* DSS payments are no more erratic than salary income

More to the point, if you're that worried about your property/investment, perhaps you're in the wrong business.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-156...1&tr_t=rent

With the obvious exception to the pets, are they allowed to do this? Surely goes against ECHR?

Pets are a tennants right too. The house a landlord rents is just an asset to him. To the tennant its a home. If I want to keep a cat (and I do) I just bring the cat. Every tennancy I have ever had (15+ at least) has stipulated no pets. If the landlord raises objections then fukm bring the pet anyway. No LL in their right mind is going to terminate a tennancy juct because the tennant has pets.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

My local curry house has a note at the bottom of the menu that they reserve the right to refuse to accept your custom without giving any reason - does that go against ECHR as well?

If the house had pale carpets, could the landlord stipulate 'no pets with dark fur'?

If they tried such a thing, I suspect that the CRE would spring into action like a parking attendant spotting a car 30 seconds over the limit.

My local curry house has a note at the bottom of the menu that they reserve the right to refuse to accept your custom without giving any reason - does that go against ECHR as well?

I don't know, what do you think?

Pets are a tennants right too. The house a landlord rents is just an asset to him. To the tennant its a home. If I want to keep a cat (and I do) I just bring the cat. Every tennancy I have ever had (15+ at least) has stipulated no pets. If the landlord raises objections then fukm bring the pet anyway. No LL in their right mind is going to terminate a tennancy juct because the tennant has pets.

Exactly, I just smuggle the moggy in on moving in day and let them chuck me out after 12 months if they want. None of them have, and they'd never get you out before 12 months in court over a pet

F*ck them, don't let them tell you how to live your life. They have an extortionate deposit to steal from if you leave any damage

In the Village where I live a recent in-fill development saw the builder offering a number of 'executive'/'retirement' apartments for sale (£200k ish I seem to remember) on (99 year?) leasehold. The upkeep charges on the units were high because of the swimming pool etc on the small complex, but equally you couldn't 'buy' one if you had kids or pets...WHY oh WHY would you pay someone to tell you what to do? What sort of human being likes neither children or animals? Why also would you want to live in a development which looks just like the ticket booths at Alton Towers? The world's gone mad I tells ya!

:blink:

Exactly, I just smuggle the moggy in on moving in day and let them chuck me out after 12 months if they want. None of them have, and they'd never get you out before 12 months in court over a pet

F*ck them, don't let them tell you how to live your life. They have an extortionate deposit to steal from if you leave any damage

For the record, I'm not saying that keeping pets is bad, I was just saying that it's an understandable clause in a tenancy agreement (who wants to be up in court over a constantly barking dog annoying neighbours). But would landlords really get away with clausing DSS and students out of a tenancy agreement?

Edited by bomberbrown

The Human Rights stuff only has effect against public bodies. There's an EU-Law lawyer lurking in the forum somewhere, he'll tell you.

Private companies and individuals aren't covered.

A case got rejected the other week, some old dears getting evicted from their privately run nursing homes even though they were funded by the government.

As for the over 55 flats, trust me, you don't want to live by those sort of people anyway!

Here we go again, sign;

How are they able to force fraudulent DSS payments to be repaid?

If that is true I can see why landlords despite DSS tenants.