House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

Prices To Rise As 'era Of Cheap Food Is Over

Yep - always my favourite retort when someone harps on about my "carbon footprint" ;)

yup and it can still have a union jack on the packet.

They need to bring in food miles label.

:)

Food and non-alcoholic beverages account for 10.2% of the CPI weighting (source), and so making a very rough calculation, a 5% increase in food prices would filter through to a 0.1 to 0.2% increase in the overall figure (maths isn't my strong point, though!).

Certain staples are being kept down such as milk,but the price of fruit and veg has gone stupid of late.I have seen ludicrous prices like £4 for a handful of cherries at the Co-Op,don't know who would be stupid enough to pay that.I have also noted an at least 100% increase in the cost of apples lately.Until as recently as last month Sainsbury's loose basics were as low as 49p a Kg and it was a quality apple.Now the basic range are bagged,taste like water bags and are three times the price per kilo.Good job I will soon have the opportunity to pick wild ones as well as blackberries etc.

Certain staples are being kept down such as milk,but the price of fruit and veg has gone stupid of late.I have seen ludicrous prices like £4 for a handful of cherries at the Co-Op,don't know who would be stupid enough to pay that.I have also noted an at least 100% increase in the cost of apples lately.Until as recently as last month Sainsbury's loose basics were as low as 49p a Kg and it was a quality apple.Now the basic range are bagged,taste like water bags and are three times the price per kilo.Good job I will soon have the opportunity to pick wild ones as well as blackberries etc.

The 5 a day campaign must have sent the supermarkets crazy! A public being encouraged to eat something and all those opportunities to mark it up.

Maybe there should be a plant an apple tree campaign instead.

I have seen ludicrous prices like £4 for a handful of cherries at the Co-Op

but surely they are worth it? They are hand-picked by slinky virgin blonde Polish girls up North!