House Price Crash Forum

Yorkshire Golden Triangle - Harrogate & Around

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I daresay that north of £400k is achievable.

lookinmg at horrogate lettings - 5 bed vaguely detached modern house, of the order of £1500 pcm

this gives a yield-based valuatiuon of less than 200k

they may ACHIEVE 400k for it but the buyers are being ripped off

• 1 month later...

Hate it.

People say, don't they, that it's a lot better to buy the worst house on the best street rather than vice versa. This would be a classic example of doing the opposite.

The front looks rubbish - extended to a width that doesn't suit the house type at all, and a loft conversion in a medium-to-large sized house in a low-to-mid priced area smacks of desperation.

And what kind of street name is "Pecket"?

This all said, it's offering a lot of square footage in [the very outskirts of] a very expensive town. The >£500k price tag was pure fantasy, I doubt they had a single viewing at that level, but I daresay that north of £400k is achievable.

Considering that the maximum price ever paid for a house on Pecketts Way was £425k in March, 2008 then I really doubt that they will get over £400k for it now. I live pretty close to Harrogate and have seen a lot bigger houses start to fall into the price bracket why I could feasibly consider trading up so the prices are significantly less than the 2008 level.

• 3 months later...

Harrogate, York, Leeds have thrown up a number of complete properdee t0ssers.

Most of which are in varyinf stages of bankruptcy.

It would be funny if it was not our money.

Seriously, anyone going bust ownign more than £2m shouldbe thrown in prison for the rest of their life.

Who can forget the great:

Guy Brudell

http://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/4777319.North_Yorkshire_businessman_Guy_Brudenell_declared_bankrupt_with_debts_of___21_million/

Last heard of with loads of investors who were going to pay off his debts.

Kevin Linfoot

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/around-yorkshire/local-stories/probe_into_collapse_of_kevin_linfoot_s_property_company_1_2346102

He can't read. He can't write. He can't do sums.

Neither could his bank.

David Hattersly

York's very own Donald Tramp

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/4364075.Entrepreneur_David_Hattersley_hands_over_enterprises_to_bank/

Week in, week out, the Yorkshire Post and various local rags had puff piece after puff piece on these 'business' genius',

The next big one I've got my eye on is the Skelwith Group.

What could possibly go wrong with an unregulated investment being sold to SIPP investors?

http://www.principalinternational.co.uk/property/raithwaite-hall

They must be fantastic hoteliers cos I've compared their figures against other hotel groups and they are fantastic. Almost unbelievable ...

Interesting post spyguy and you've pointed some of the more 'famous' failures. I've been watching the hotel room market / Skelwith for a while now. I just wonder if these people who have bought hotel rooms have ever considered what happens if they need to liquidate their asset. Presumably there will be an estate agent out there willing to take on the sale for a fee.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This thread hasn't been touched for a while.

Harrogate as we know is an oddity. House prices are continuing to go bananas again. In the area there's a dearth of houses on the market, with the odd few that have ironically been on the market for a long time. As in, they either fly, or they stay on for an age. The trend is definitely upwards though.

Limited house building in the area due to the massive number of NIMBYs - still. Some developments on Harlow Moor Road and off Skipton Road in the future, but nothing major.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wharfedale towns still looking utterly mental

Harrogate/York are expensive but at least there is the rationale (and total illogical) that there is an influx of SE buyers.

But the Wharfedale towns are often off the charts. Lovely places mind. I wonder who buys these?

Market still bubbling along at the moment and sure there will be a spike as rates drop next month, London evacuates and demand rises in the triangle......then the slump. Usually about 10 months, 8 days, 12 minutes after London slumps....roughly.

Harrogate/York are expensive but at least there is the rationale (and total illogical) that there is an influx of SE buyers.

But the Wharfedale towns are often off the charts. Lovely places mind. I wonder who buys these?

I'd speculate (no more than that) that Wharfedale will be replete with potential holiday 2nd homes and holiday lets? If you wanted a place to stash a big bonus from, e.g. The City or a big iheritance, then it would be a relatively safe place to do so. A couple of years ago I rented a place near to Chatsworth in the Peak District and the owner was an ex City worker who did exactly that.

• 1 year later...

Recently went to visit a friend who lives in a very expensive small rural village in the triangle. Houses start at 'expensive', and go much higher. One 5 bedder was purchased by someone in banking who lived there a while, and who has now buggered off with the family overseas for 3 years with work. There have been many grumbles in the village because the place has been rented out to a large family with 6 kids and 2 benefits claiming adults, who apparently have never worked (not sure how they know that, but its the kind of village where everybody seems to know each others business).   The council have re-housed them from a 4 bedder because sprog 7 is on the way. 

The insertion of one of Gordon Brown's finest creations into their commuter belt rural idyl has not gone down well at all. I should imagine its making quite a dent in the local housing benefits budget too (if you look at the astronomical rents for 5 bedders in the more exclusive bits of the triangle). 

• 1 year later...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-gardens/why-ilkley-is-now-even-more-exclusive-1-9455891

"When Paul Wilson climbed on to the bottom rung of the property ladder in Ilkley eight years ago, his two-bedroom terraced house cost £105,000. The same property is now worth £235,000.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-gardens/why-ilkley-is-now-even-more-exclusive-1-9455891

4 hours ago, Si1 said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-gardens/why-ilkley-is-now-even-more-exclusive-1-9455891

"When Paul Wilson climbed on to the bottom rung of the property ladder in Ilkley eight years ago, his two-bedroom terraced house cost £105,000. The same property is now worth £235,000.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-gardens/why-ilkley-is-now-even-more-exclusive-1-9455891

Ilkley , north of Bradford. £1/4 mil? Dream on!

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

Ilkley , north of Bradford. £1/4 mil? Dream on!

Ilkleys way out of my area.

However ... near Bradord or not, it is an expensive area

https://www.home.co.uk/sold_properties/results.htm?TOWN_SEARCH=1&location=ilkley&loose=0&radius=2&page=2

Its an old mill owner managers town.

After tge mills, i believe ilkley and similar were invaded by all thing properdee - you had 3 big bs nearby - halifax, bradfordnbingley skipton. These generated wrll paying kobs directly and indirectly - huge ammount of legal work.

However...... im nit sure how the golden truangle is going to pan out. BS have lost 80% of tgeir employees - automation, going bust etc.

The legal sector has seen massive change. Looking at averafe pay, legal sector pays worse than supermarkets - too many people chasing to little work.

22 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Ilkleys way out of my area.

However ... near Bradord or not, it is an expensive area

https://www.home.co.uk/sold_properties/results.htm?TOWN_SEARCH=1&location=ilkley&loose=0&radius=2&page=2

Its an old mill owner managers town.

After tge mills, i believe ilkley and similar were invaded by all thing properdee - you had 3 big bs nearby - halifax, bradfordnbingley skipton. These generated wrll paying kobs directly and indirectly - huge ammount of legal work.

However...... im nit sure how the golden truangle is going to pan out. BS have lost 80% of tgeir employees - automation, going bust etc.

The legal sector has seen massive change. Looking at averafe pay, legal sector pays worse than supermarkets - too many people chasing to little work.

Rents in Ilkley aren't too bad by comparison, which suggests the income isn't there to sustain prices

5 hours ago, Si1 said:

Rents in Ilkley aren't too bad by comparison, which suggests the income isn't there to sustain prices

Theres a couple of places i follow where the prices are best described as aged OO just trading away their equity between themselves, backed by public sector salaries n pensiona.

Nice as ilkley appears to be, its too close to the subcontinetal socio economic time bomb that is Bradford.

7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Theres a couple of places i follow where the prices are best described as aged OO just trading away their equity between themselves, backed by public sector salaries n pensiona.

That's exactly my experience of the people I've known who've lived there.

• 2 months later...