House Price Crash Forum

Yorkshire Golden Triangle - Harrogate & Around

Chasing the market like a hound.

Brought to market August 2008. Price snipped downwards until April 2009. Try putting it back up to catch the recovereh in May 2009. And back down again yesterday:

Wed 21 Jul 2010 20:49:17 BST

* Price changed: from '£440,000' to '£425,000' [Found by n/a]

Fri 29 May 2009 16:42:33 BST

* Price changed: from 'Offers in Excess of £425,000' to '£440,000' [Found by n/a]

Mon 20 Apr 2009 19:46:19 BST

* Price changed: from '£445,000' to 'Offers in Excess of £425,000' [Found by n/a]

Wed 04 Feb 2009 22:43:08 BST

* Price changed: from '£459,950' to '£445,000' [Found by n/a]

Fri 07 Nov 2008 15:08:51 BST

* Price changed: from '£475,000' to '£459,950' [Found by barneyrubble]

Thu 07 Aug 2008 20:55:42 BST

* Initial entry found. [Found by littleprofessor]

Woof!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chasing the market like a hound.

Brought to market August 2008. Price snipped downwards until April 2009. Try putting it back up to catch the recovereh in May 2009. And back down again yesterday:

Wed 21 Jul 2010 20:49:17 BST

* Price changed: from '£440,000' to '£425,000' [Found by n/a]

Fri 29 May 2009 16:42:33 BST

* Price changed: from 'Offers in Excess of £425,000' to '£440,000' [Found by n/a]

Mon 20 Apr 2009 19:46:19 BST

* Price changed: from '£445,000' to 'Offers in Excess of £425,000' [Found by n/a]

Wed 04 Feb 2009 22:43:08 BST

* Price changed: from '£459,950' to '£445,000' [Found by n/a]

Fri 07 Nov 2008 15:08:51 BST

* Price changed: from '£475,000' to '£459,950' [Found by barneyrubble]

Thu 07 Aug 2008 20:55:42 BST

* Initial entry found. [Found by littleprofessor]

Woof!

Somewhere on that road, not too far away, this is allegedly happening...

http://www.knaresboroughpost.co.uk/harrogate-news/Court-told-of-familys-threeyear.6434843.jp

Evidence of price falls on "The Boulevards" (Bowes Park, Woods Court, Hutton Gate and Verity Walk)...

Interesting to see the significant increase in volume over the past few months of properties being marketed on this development off Leadhall Lane.

Asking prices fallen by c. £30k for a 4-bed town house since January and they don't appear to be selling at all, plus ambitious £500k asking prices for packed in 'executive' detached houses with paper-thin walls.

There has been a big swing in the character of this development over the past 5 years - professional couples and 'nuclear famillies' moving out to be replaced by divorcee single parent with tween and teenage children (resulting in Hutton Gate being known as 'heartbreak alley' amongst some residents)... plus the 'cosmopolitan feel' that the social housing on Redfearn Mews gives the place.

Oh and plenty of smashed bottles of cider and vodka in the playground on a Sunday morning...

Evidence of price falls on "The Boulevards" (Bowes Park, Woods Court, Hutton Gate and Verity Walk)...

Interesting to see the significant increase in volume over the past few months of properties being marketed on this development off Leadhall Lane.

Asking prices fallen by c. £30k for a 4-bed town house since January and they don't appear to be selling at all, plus ambitious £500k asking prices for packed in 'executive' detached houses with paper-thin walls.

There has been a big swing in the character of this development over the past 5 years - professional couples and 'nuclear famillies' moving out to be replaced by divorcee single parent with tween and teenage children (resulting in Hutton Gate being known as 'heartbreak alley' amongst some residents)... plus the 'cosmopolitan feel' that the social housing on Redfearn Mews gives the place.

Oh and plenty of smashed bottles of cider and vodka in the playground on a Sunday morning...

We had a look around this estate recently due to the number of properties for sale on it. Something quite soulless about the whole development from the cheap looking statue on the entrance, the lack of any greenery or trees along the roads, to the playground at the end of the cul-de-sac where the townhouses are. Heartbreak Alley you say? Any other reasons to give this area a miss?

Must admit first impressions were that it wouldn't be somewhere where I'd consider living, but having lived near a playarea in the past, all I can say is never, never again mainly for the undesirable side effects that you highlight.

We had a look around this estate recently due to the number of properties for sale on it. Something quite soulless about the whole development from the cheap looking statue on the entrance, the lack of any greenery or trees along the roads, to the playground at the end of the cul-de-sac where the townhouses are. Heartbreak Alley you say? Any other reasons to give this area a miss?

Must admit first impressions were that it wouldn't be somewhere where I'd consider living, but having lived near a playarea in the past, all I can say is never, never again mainly for the undesirable side effects that you highlight.

To be fair, the area has some notable upsides:

- it is in the catchment area for the Grammar School and for Rossett (which recently received an 'outstanding' offsted report;

- well placed for local amneties and walkable into town in about 15-20 minutes.

That said, I lived around there for a long-time (since new in c. 2002) and witness a real decline in the quality of the place. You're right about the trees - the orignal plans had more trees and more green verges - these were eaten away to create more parking spaces as the road was (allegedly - according to local councillors) built narrower than the plans approved by the council leading to parking issues and ultimately a less pleasant place to live. The parking issues also led many residents to pave over the small gardens outside their town houses to create (nearly) double-driveways again changing the general look and feel.

Hutton Gate was permanently closed to through traffic a year or two ago - which was a double-edged sword, far less traffice but hordes of teens on the road in the evenings!

The spike in people attempting to sell is interesting to me and re-inforces my view that more people are trying to get out rather than to get in!

Edited by AlbertoFrog

I may be moving to Harrogate in the near future and wondered if there are particular good areas to try and get in, or bad ones to avoid? I'm leaning to the North / North-West / West side because that'll be easier for the gf commuting out of Harrogate in a northerly direction.

Also, are there any estate agents in the area that aren't listing on Rightmove, Vebra etc?

Hi Sof

I think all the EAs are back on Rightmove - some of them disappeared off for a while.

South and west are a fair bit more expensive. North? Knox area is ok and you could get some decent price drops there, I reckon. However you've got to think of getting out of Bilton via Skipton Rd. It's a pain.

Jennyfields are ok in parts, but better the further away from exact centre, the better.

Just an update re surge of properties with no one to buy then in Hazzer.

Sample upto 300k houses in harrogate - 320 in early Januray (had this down as 307 but was my error) and is now 504. So a fairly hefty jump in 8 months.

Very few buyers (completitions for that matter) during peak time with supply outstripping imagine what it will be like come Autumn when the cuts start to hit and for that matter next year when reality has well and truely landed for the UK.

Great indication of what is going on out there......still overpriced for the area.....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16466664.html

Just an update re surge of properties with no one to buy then in Hazzer.

Sample upto 300k houses in harrogate - 320 in early Januray (had this down as 307 but was my error) and is now 504. So a fairly hefty jump in 8 months.

Very few buyers (completitions for that matter) during peak time with supply outstripping imagine what it will be like come Autumn when the cuts start to hit and for that matter next year when reality has well and truely landed for the UK.

Great indication of what is going on out there......still overpriced for the area.....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16466664.html

I've been watching the £300k-£500k band closely for the past 6 months and anecdotally would say that property volumes for sale at the £300k end have definitely increased markedly of late, with the expected downward impact on prices and time to sell. In contrast good quality, medium to large-sized 4 bed detached family houses in the best areas which are 'sensibly' priced still appear to be turning over well and remain in limited supply - I have missed out on half a dozen such properties during 2010 through situations of multiple buyers wanting the properties in question, only to have recently secured a purchase (again multiple interested parties and the vendor had turned down an offer from a party who were in a chain) at what I consider a fair price - that said it's a long-term home for me, not a short-term investment so I won't be losing sleep if the market is 10% down in 12 months' time given I'll be living in the house and location I want!

I've been watching the £300k-£500k band closely for the past 6 months and anecdotally would say that property volumes for sale at the £300k end have definitely increased markedly of late, with the expected downward impact on prices and time to sell. In contrast good quality, medium to large-sized 4 bed detached family houses in the best areas which are 'sensibly' priced still appear to be turning over well and remain in limited supply - I have missed out on half a dozen such properties during 2010 through situations of multiple buyers wanting the properties in question, only to have recently secured a purchase (again multiple interested parties and the vendor had turned down an offer from a party who were in a chain) at what I consider a fair price - that said it's a long-term home for me, not a short-term investment so I won't be losing sleep if the market is 10% down in 12 months' time given I'll be living in the house and location I want!

Good Luck to you and i would like to have that sentiment too but sadly i would not buy anything without the perspective of 36 or 48 months and where property prices will be then.

Thanks for the info about the Boulevards.

Sounds like you've been looking in the same areas and budget as me. I echo your sentiments about good quality 4 bed detached in the better areas. They are few and far between. I wouldn't be surprised if we've viewed the same properties.

I, like you am looking for the long term and any potential correction is not likely to be an issue as the house should be a long term home. Unfortunately though, still not yet found anything, although possibly a couple of viewings this weekend in the Leeds Road Harrogate/Pannal areas.

Just out of curiousity, roughly how far off asking were you offers? I understand you may want to limit your detail, but it would be interesting to know.

I'm sorry if this is partly hijacking but I don't know Harrogate very well and wondered if the area just south of the Oakdale golf club is nice? E.g. Kent Road, Oakdale. It "looks" nice but didn't want to just rely on looks if there's any locals on here.

Thanks for the info about the Boulevards.

Sounds like you've been looking in the same areas and budget as me. I echo your sentiments about good quality 4 bed detached in the better areas. They are few and far between. I wouldn't be surprised if we've viewed the same properties.

I, like you am looking for the long term and any potential correction is not likely to be an issue as the house should be a long term home. Unfortunately though, still not yet found anything, although possibly a couple of viewings this weekend in the Leeds Road Harrogate/Pannal areas.

Just out of curiousity, roughly how far off asking were you offers? I understand you may want to limit your detail, but it would be interesting to know.

It's fair to say that our early offers were seeking to leverage the fact that we were 'chain free' and estate agent speak 'immediately proceedable' buyers - hence typically going in at a 10% discount to asking price with a view to negotiating upwards a little to secure the deal. What we found was that many of the vendors of such properties are 'old dears' who've lived there for say 30 years and now realise that they should sell as they're rattling around the places on their own, but due to the understandable emotional ties they don't actually want to sell - hence any offer below AP is treated as a mortal insult! This happened on 3 separate properties...

Per stats produced by one of the national property consultancies, the national average selling price discount to AP in 2010 across the UK is 6% so as long as the AP is 'fair' (and only you can really judge that), I'd say anything above that is a good result - then again with many properties on at the moment I don't consider the AP fair and hence would be looking for more! Hope that helps.

I'm sorry if this is partly hijacking but I don't know Harrogate very well and wondered if the area just south of the Oakdale golf club is nice? E.g. Kent Road, Oakdale. It "looks" nice but didn't want to just rely on looks if there's any locals on here.

er, it's fairly transparently the nicest area in harrogate? well, kent road & duchy road certainly... big houses built in the 1800s for the most successful mill owners. near town and everything without being too near.

er, it's fairly transparently the nicest area in harrogate? well, kent road & duchy road certainly... big houses built in the 1800s for the most successful mill owners. near town and everything without being too near.

What about past the Duchy on the left hand side?