House Price Crash Forum

Yorkshire Golden Triangle - Harrogate & Around

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very interesting one to trace.

I mean *really* it's worth about £150k. In these inflated times, I would've thought it'd fetch maybe 340k tops, given where it is (not trying to be offensive there). But 485k? They're having a larrrrrrrrrf.

a bit unfair... that to me [based on the people who live on that street now] feels like a house for someone who earns maybe about £50k or something, not mega money but fairly comfortably off, so in a normal market it might be worth, oh, almost certainly upwards of £250k, in a 'boom' maybe about, say, £300k or even a bit more... a half million quid though is literally pathetic.

my guess is that they won't cut the price one penny and that it'll be de-listed, following no viewings or even casual enquiries, by the early summer.

[edit] - hmm, actually, scrutinising it a bit closer it looks like the 'five bedroom' aspect of it might be due to a loft conversion. in which case £300k may actually be a bit toppy... there's no floor plan, i wonder why...

anyway, yes, half a million quid, laughable.

Edited by the flying pig
  • 3 weeks later...

a bit unfair... that to me [based on the people who live on that street now] feels like a house for someone who earns maybe about £50k or something, not mega money but fairly comfortably off, so in a normal market it might be worth, oh, almost certainly upwards of £250k, in a 'boom' maybe about, say, £300k or even a bit more... a half million quid though is literally pathetic.

my guess is that they won't cut the price one penny and that it'll be de-listed, following no viewings or even casual enquiries, by the early summer.

[edit] - hmm, actually, scrutinising it a bit closer it looks like the 'five bedroom' aspect of it might be due to a loft conversion. in which case £300k may actually be a bit toppy... there's no floor plan, i wonder why...

anyway, yes, half a million quid, laughable.

Same house has been up for rent since August 2009 - started at £1,650 pcm then reduced to £1,500 pcm in October.

NB Rental pictures show the house furnished - whereas sales pictures show it emptied etc.

Edited by Tattoo'd Lady

Another shocking spell of SSTC falling through, HG2 175k-240k bracket. Out of 7 sstc not one has completed.

Quite interesting look at HG2 annual sold figures. Bounce, what bounce?

Flat Semi-Detached Detached Terraced.

Number of Sales 61 129 89 70

Average Price £176,654 £226,776 £414,139 £215,702

Flat Semi-Detached Detached Terraced

Number of Sales 102 114 88 88

Average Price £183,157 £271,035 £463,924 £242,960

Number of Sales 157 246 175 166

Average Price £215,394 £272,379 £472,389 £221,394

Number of Sales 217 261 202 229

Average Price £187,184 £243,153 £409,903 £222,180

It's very difficult indeed to see the wood from the trees with these things but instinctively it seems to me that for Harrogate:

(1) price falls have more or less tracked the national average % for %, not materially better or worse than average really [with the recent uptick more or less in line with the average, i.e. being much less pronounced than for London]; and

(2) the drop-off in sales volumes has been fairly extraordinary, perhaps even higher than the national average.

Edited by the flying pig

It's very difficult indeed to see the wood from the trees with these things but instinctively it seems to me that for Harrogate:

(1) price falls have more or less tracked the national average % for %, not materially better or worse than average really [with the recent uptick more or less in line with the average, i.e. being much less pronounced than for London]; and

(2) the drop-off in sales volumes has been fairly extraordinary, perhaps even higher than the national average.

For my sins im looking to buy in Harrogate at the mo and would largely echo the above.

My daily search of PB shows two slight moves , a very noticable increase in sales (STC) either side of the £300k mark in the last few days (but little shifting either side of £400k)

and an increase in very small price reductions accross the board.

As said above, very little coming onto the market at the mo, so far only seen one in our price range that we liked. Prices are falling,but very slowly..

For my sins im looking to buy in Harrogate at the mo and would largely echo the above.

My daily search of PB shows two slight moves , a very noticable increase in sales (STC) either side of the £300k mark in the last few days (but little shifting either side of £400k)

and an increase in very small price reductions accross the board.

As said above, very little coming onto the market at the mo, so far only seen one in our price range that we liked. Prices are falling,but very slowly..

Very much agree with this.

Going down... slowly, but nothing new on market around 300k mark. Will see what happens during next 6 months I think.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, if ugly, house on rightmove -

Type in HG1 3DQ on the price comparison section on rightmove and check out the so called 4 bedroom detatched bungalow. Started out at £349,950.......

Now up for auction. Vacant possesion. http://www.fss4property.co.uk/

i can't say i like that place much even for £240k. as you imply the '4 bedroom' description is a nonsense. the fact that it's only got one bathroom more or less reveals it for what it is - a 2/3 bed place [the third bedroom being downstairs] that can be made into a 3/4 bed place if you use the dining room as an extra bedroom. neither the "sitting room" nor kitchen look obviously suitable for eating in.

and you say it's hardly an attractive house. i've never liked the 'dormer bungalow' style much but that's a pretty poor example even of the genre.

Edited by the flying pig

Harrogate area feels weird at the minute. I think a load of houses did sell in the month or so following Christmas, but it feels eerily quiet at the minute - yet there are more houses creeping onto the market all the time; Globrix & right move are pushing out 3 or 4 a day now, whereas last year it was the odd one every day. I'm guessing that, as per the national picture, people are laying low until the general election.

I'm hoping that (even in a teflon town (!) such as Harrogate), this is the start of the dip.

Oh, one other thing. I regularly look at the number of houses for sale in Harrogate on right move (just by doing Harrogate, property type houses). Middle of last year this dipped to below 500. It's up at 534 now. At the peak of the drop (before Christmas 08) it was over 600... but since then a number of EAs have stopped displaying properties on Right Move.

Anyway, yes - point is, it's on the increase again. More properties + buyers waiting = more supply + less demand ... .should equal lower prices....?

This week I've counted 30 price changes/new properties in the price band I check, in the Harrogate area alone. Normally there are 7 or 8 or so. There's been a massive amount of activity this week - would be interesting to see how the number of sales weighs up against this set of houses coming onto the market.

• 2 weeks later...

Property avalanche! 37 new properties in one day – 01.04.10

Sales still going through on the nice stuff, got a few I have been watching that have SSTC’d in early Feb approaching crunch time so will be interesting to see if they complete.

One for Flyingpig some friends, well acquaintances, are Brown’s children of property – done the St. John’s street buy and sell on x2 and have now brought on Jennyfields…..well I say Jennyfields but they freak out as they say it is not…….it is the little estate at the end of Jennyfields. I have lost count of the times he has boasted about doing so well out of property and knowing his stuff. Ha ha ha ha ha what a purchase on the estate where old ladies get burned to death in their own homes.

Property avalanche! 37 new properties in one day – 01.04.10

I think most of these "new" properties are because Wigginton Roberts has just joined Right Move

In the range I have been looking at it has been very little supply during March.

Some of the new ones on today seem like April Fool's jokes

£495k on Treesdale Road - no photos yet but must be gold plated to ask that. There's 2 on the same road (one SSTC) at £379k and £399k.

4 bed semi on Grove Road - £579K

Ah - that's interesting that Wigginton's have joined, or rather, re-joined Rightmove. They used to be on it, but left - which is why there were of the order of 600 houses on the market in 2007, then it dropped. Now it's back up to 585, so - even with Wigginton's re-joining, we're not far off the numbers on the market before the drop.

The comment I made on 20th March still stands though - there are lots of properties coming onto the market via Globrix and Rightmove now. Hopefully this increase in supply will continue over time.

Estate Agents still seem quite in Harrogate though...

I think most of these "new" properties are because Wigginton Roberts has just joined Right Move

In the range I have been looking at it has been very little supply during March.

Some of the new ones on today seem like April Fool's jokes

£495k on Treesdale Road - no photos yet but must be gold plated to ask that. There's 2 on the same road (one SSTC) at £379k and £399k.

4 bed semi on Grove Road - £579K

Ah 0 out of 10 for observation. A syndrome of the HG HPC cabin fever!

Quantities for my HG 300k house only search are still up from circa 320 at the turn of the year to 386 today.

Yeah Grove Road one is lovely to look at and great inside but way ott price wise, given the location. A lot of chintz to pay for. Same with the Treesdale Road.

Ah - that's interesting that Wigginton's have joined, or rather, re-joined Rightmove. They used to be on it, but left - which is why there were of the order of 600 houses on the market in 2007, then it dropped. Now it's back up to 585, so - even with Wigginton's re-joining, we're not far off the numbers on the market before the drop.

The comment I made on 20th March still stands though - there are lots of properties coming onto the market via Globrix and Rightmove now. Hopefully this increase in supply will continue over time.

Estate Agents still seem quite in Harrogate though...

Deffinate upswing in quantities like you say. People maybe beating a path to the exit door. This type of sentiment can spread.

On my sunday drink in the town it is marked how many are shut, unlike a few years ago! Folk still gawp in the windows tho.

Quite ironic that the more EAs bleat and back a bouncing market the more likely that it will hit them in the pocket with lower transactions. Death by thousand cuts.

...One for Flyingpig some friends, well acquaintances, are Brown’s children of property – done the St. John’s street buy and sell on x2 and have now brought on Jennyfields…..well I say Jennyfields but they freak out as they say it is not…….it is the little estate at the end of Jennyfields. I have lost count of the times he has boasted about doing so well out of property and knowing his stuff. Ha ha ha ha ha what a purchase on the estate where old ladies get burned to death in their own homes.

Killinghall Moor, you mean? A euphemism beloved of all estate agents & a handful of Hyacinth Bucket type residents, but one that's liable to see you endlessly circling the North side of town with no destination in sight if you give it to a taxi driver.

The number of houses in Harrogate (according to Rightmove, anyway) has jumped over the 600 mark again. I've not seen this since 2007, although Wiggingtons have reappeared again. Still, it shows that the supply of houses has risen over the last few months - more are going onto the market, and/or fewer are selling.

• 1 month later...

Thought i would dust down this thread with an update.

Volume for my HG sample up 30% since January. 307 in Jan ’10, 437 today.

Yes this a bit to do with a couple of EA's re-joing RM but there is a steady flow of properties week on week which is not being matched by properties completing.

Nice gaffs still going quite quickly, especially cheaper end round Leeds Road.

But a lot still falling through or in SSTC limbo. House very close to me has been SSTC since the 12th Feb!!!!! Is a 17 week SSTC normal!?

Prices slowly coming down but the bubble culture will live long in the hearts and minds of HG’s MEW’d to keep up with the Jonses

Still i am sure with the return of volume and the return of reality in politik speak and the impending cuts it is a recipe for price drops going forward in HG.

The estate agents all appear to be fairly quiet, Saturday 2 weeks ago and two of them were shut at 4pm, other empty – although there always seems a stream of lemming l;ike window shoppers straining their necks at stuff they wish or believe they can afford only for the Bank computer to say ‘no’.

...although there always seems a stream of lemming l;ike window shoppers straining their necks at stuff they wish or believe they can afford only for the Bank computer to say ‘no’.

It's usually pensioners trying to calculate what they think their own gaff is worth.

It's strange - in some ways I can't make up my mind what's going on.

Certainly, houses are selling, but there are more going up. 'Harrogate, Houses' in Rightmove had 660 today. There were 500 before Christmas, so the market is either very buoyant or there are more coming onto the market than selling.

BNW - I suspect you're right: it depends on the area of town. Between Wetherby Rd across the south & west of town as far as the Duchys - they sell reasonably quickly in the main. But elsewhere, maybe not. A house in Knares near my folks' has been on the market 3 times now - must've fallen through that many times.

I noticed that Spofforth has about 10 houses for sale down the High Street...?

Oh, one other thing. A couple of houses we considered buying last year went to 'Sold', so I expected to see them on Land Registry.. but they never arrived on the Land Registry website at all. I assume they were fall-throughs, and the sellers gave up?