House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laurejon

Will The Younger Generation Learn From The Boomers Success

Will todays younger generation learn from the successes of the Baby Boomers of years gone by?

Or will they continue to lavish themselves with liberal unaffordable values, and continue down the slippery path of decline, not just in economic terms, but the social disorders and juvenile delinquency that come with it ?

Edited by laurejon

Will todays younger generation learn from the successes of the Baby Boomers of years gone by?

Or will they continue to lavish themselves with liberal unaffordable values, and continue down the slippery path of decline, not just in economic terms, but the social disorders and juvenile delinquency that come with it ?

These values are from the 60s hippy ridden generation. We haven't even been in power yet. Technically we have done ok but I don't see socially what is around me as a success, we should easily do better.

Edited by Ipodjunky

This country is F00ked. I havr more or less resigned myself to emmigrating at some stage in the future. They would have to bring back corporal punishment whilst stopping ALL benefits for layabouts (yes, even if they starve) to make a real difference...

As always the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. An ever greater sum of money will continue to circle through an ever diminishing number of hands.

Socially, I dislike the current under 30 bracket (on a broadly speaking stereotypical mannor), obviously there are plenty of fantastic individuals amongst the demographic, but on the whole most seem to lack respect and pride.

I worry that 30-40 years from now the very wealthy will view the general populous as vermin. And treat them as such.

I don't think baby boomers necessarily succeeded anyway. Which of the worlds problems have the generation successfully tackled? Many couldn't even arrange decent pensions for themselves.

And didn't they raise todays younger generation? The one lavishing themselves with liberal unaffordable values?

Oh no, television raised them. What a glittering success.

Turfing out 700,000 Polish men with crew-cuts might also be a good start...

Like Russia is currently doing with the Chinese...

It will not happen of course. I'm off to Greece next week. Beautiful place. Greek. Only spoilt in tourist locations. Not infiltrated though. Not given to immigrants.

They took our country from us and gave it to Polish guys with crew cuts and 80's casual clobber who were prepared to live 2-6 to a room for minimum wage.... Like a seedy Eastern European Creempie Gangbang, they came in laughing, and ******ed us in every position possible and in every hole.

Edited by Bushy Tail

Guest Charlie The Tramp
These values are from the 60s hippy ridden generation.

They were merely a very small representation of the young people in the 60s who happened to attract much Media attention. ;)

Turfing out 700,000 Polish men with crew-cuts might also be a good start...

Like Russia is currently doing with the Chinese...

It will not happen of course. I'm off to Greece next week. Beautiful place. Greek. Only spoilt in tourist locations. Not infiltrated though. Not given to immigrants.

They took our country from us and gave it to Polish guys with crew cuts and 80's casual clobber who were prepared to live 2-6 to a room for minimum wage.... Like a seedy Eastern European Creempie Gangbang, they came in laughing, and ******ed us in every position possible and in every hole.

For the life of me I can't think how I would begin to tackle the social issues in the UK if I were given power to do so. Where would you start? It's my home and I despair of it. I am in Dubai at the moment and have spent a large portion of my life living in Europe (Vienna, Munich). For my future I am looking towards Canada, a semi self sufficent farm and a big gun in my cupboard just in case knustelrs worst predicitons come true in the next 20 years! (or is it 5)!!

Mark.

No because the boomers lived at a time when the standard of living was much lower. They were fortunate enough to be able to buy 4 bed detached houses, have 2.4 children, pay school fees, take bi-annual holidays and buy a new car every few years without going to University or taking professional qualifications. The latter qualifications are now a pre-requisite for a good job but this was not the case 20-30 years ago. There was also more chance of having a job for life where now the average time for a professional in one job is approx 2-3 years.

In modern times a professional with a good education will be lucky to be able to afford a one bedroom flat. The idea of children/new cars and even holidays are a thing of the past enjoyed by the previous generation but not this one.

Wake up and realise how lucky you were. I take issue with this idea that the reason one is not buying property is because they are out drinking themselves to death wearing expensive trainers, probably with flashing lights. I think this is a myth. The reason is because people can not afford. A flat is considered cheap if it is 150K by today's standards. A person has to earn 38K a year if they want to afford such a place. I believe this is still a substantial wage. Were you earning 38K in your late 20's or early 30's? If so what were you able to afford a one bedroom flat no I did not think so.

I have no envy as I have no need for anything more than a flat but for those who want more if they work hard then the option should be there for them.

I dont know how on earth the mods on this forum let you post. All you ever seem to post are rants about the pet hates of the right. The one a few days ago was a classic example. Borejon's take on global warming that flys in the face of around 99.9% of scientific opinion. Now we have this one. What on earth has your hatred for equality for women, secularism and tolerance got to do with housing?

I think laurejon/Alf Garnet wants us to do better as he is feeling guilty for how poorly he and his peers have performed. There there laurejon we'll make it better...

Edited by Ipodjunky

Socially, I dislike the current under 30 bracket (on a broadly speaking stereotypical mannor), obviously there are plenty of fantastic individuals amongst the demographic, but on the whole most seem to lack respect and pride.

Go out and meet some.

You are Victor Meldrew. Live with it.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

What I have learnt very quickly from the apparent 'successes' of the Baby Boomers is their ability to shill ********.

Objective reality will however, bite them in the ****.

I'm off to Greece next week. Beautiful place. Greek. Only spoilt in tourist locations. Not infiltrated though. Not given to immigrants.

Methinks your wrong there, or have a very dated view of mainland Greece. Most building & casual labouring jobs are done by Albanians & people from the Middle East these days

Guest Skint Academic

What successes?

Or will they continue to lavish themselves with liberal unaffordable values,

Such as wanting secure shelter? An education? Job security? A pension? Freedom rather than debt slavery?

and continue down the slippery path of decline, not just in economic terms, but the social disorders and juvenile delinquency that come with it ?

If the younger generation are going down the slippery path of decline it's because there is nowhere else for them to go. If you have nothing to lose, nothing to aim for, no hopes or aspirations but are reminded on a daily basis how much better those in the establishment are living at your expense, would you work even harder for them? No. You just get what enjoyment you can from life.

People may talk about baby boomers and different generations, but we're all humans, and therefore all greedy and stupid to a greater or lesser extent.

Methinks your wrong there, or have a very dated view of mainland Greece. Most building & casual labouring jobs are done by Albanians & people from the Middle East these days

They haven't been infiltrated on anywhere near the scale of the UK.

I'm off to Lesvos, which I guess aint really Greece. Nor is it full of lezzies.

I know your not an idiot, you just enjoy winding people up by making idiotic comments.

This is about “House Price Crashes” on here.

And no one can not argue that the whole market was engineered by Boomers to entice people into taking on biblical levels of credit made temporarily cheep by fudging inflation figures.

They have admitted it.

So if this desire to sacrifice the *(less intelligent) proportion of the our generation to line their pockets with money they were too bone idle to work for makes their values higher then ours then so be it.

But they were too stupid for this and for the most part seem to have embraced massive debt…

But if you think that the poor blighters in Cornwall and Devon think that they are being priced out by rich boomers from the cities buying holiday homes then you are wrong.

For the most part they are fully aware that most of these holiday homes are bought by cretins borrowing massive amounts for the presitige of owning a holiday home, investing in property darling.. or some such… Dreams which will fade as they do with every boom market.

Boomers have weight due to numbers, but to lay claim that all of them have the intelligence of Bill Gates and the class of Joana Lumley is not entirely accurate.

No because the boomers lived at a time when the standard of living was much lower. They were fortunate enough to be able to buy 4 bed detached houses, have 2.4 children, pay school fees, take bi-annual holidays and buy a new car every few years without going to University or taking professional qualifications. The latter qualifications are now a pre-requisite for a good job but this was not the case 20-30 years ago. There was also more chance of having a job for life where now the average time for a professional in one job is approx 2-3 years.

In modern times a professional with a good education will be lucky to be able to afford a one bedroom flat. The idea of children/new cars and even holidays are a thing of the past enjoyed by the previous generation but not this one.

Wake up and realise how lucky you were. I take issue with this idea that the reason one is not buying property is because they are out drinking themselves to death wearing expensive trainers, probably with flashing lights. I think this is a myth. The reason is because people can not afford. A flat is considered cheap if it is 150K by today's standards. A person has to earn 38K a year if they want to afford such a place. I believe this is still a substantial wage. Were you earning 38K in your late 20's or early 30's? If so what were you able to afford a one bedroom flat no I did not think so.

I have no envy as I have no need for anything more than a flat but for those who want more if they work hard then the option should be there for them.

I think as Charlie has pointed out, the vast majority of the Boomers were not pot smoking, sex orgy crazed hippies. In fact the long haired layabouts like Gordon and Tony were truly despised along with the CND, Peace Lovers.

The Boomers in the vast majority served their nation, had national pride, had a work ethic, did not harbour social grudges, were happy to know where they fitted into society, did not have issue with Working Class/ Middle Class. Everyone knew their place, and everyone was happy with their lot.

I am afraid it was the Unions who caused the class wars, the working classes were perfectly happy, pround of their skills, and in no way did they feel inferior, nor were they looked down upon. The working classes owned their own homes, had a big family, and held the concept of marriage close to their hearts.

Liberal Values are what has killed this nation, the idea that we can feed the world, save the world, defend the world, great aspirations, but completely uncosted, unrealistic, and unworkable.

"A person has to earn 38K a year if they want to afford such a place. I believe this is still a substantial wage. Were you earning 38K in your late 20's or early 30's? If so what were you able to afford a one bedroom flat no I did not think so."

Lots of people who are in their late 20's and early 30's earn that or more. £40k to £50k would be an expected salary for a newly qualified 25 year old chartered accountant in London. You don't need to be any sort of rocket scientist to be an accountant.

One thing that has changed a lot in recent years is that the old days of working your way up to a decent salary over a long career are largely gone. These days if you are going to earn more than double the average wage during your career you will be pretty much there by the time you are 30.

"A person has to earn 38K a year if they want to afford such a place. I believe this is still a substantial wage. Were you earning 38K in your late 20's or early 30's? If so what were you able to afford a one bedroom flat no I did not think so."

Lots of people who are in their late 20's and early 30's earn that or more. £40k to £50k would be an expected salary for a newly qualified 25 year old chartered accountant in London. You don't need to be any sort of rocket scientist to be an accountant.

One thing that has changed a lot in recent years is that the old days of working your way up to a decent salary over a long career are largely gone. These days if you are going to earn more than double the average wage during your career you will be pretty much there by the time you are 30.

Exactly, social mobility is now defunct, and that comes from a Government that paid billions to make it better.

Social Engineering cost billions, and produces nothing.

Boomers did not create this bubble, it the generation of house buyers post 1995 that created this, and the morons who voted in the labour party, having spent five years with high interest rates, and unemployment being the price to pay for our previous greed.

Labour simply moved in after we had repaid our social debt for our misguided greed in late 80's, and repeated the problem again.

High Interest Rates, Unemployment, House Repossesions, Business Failures, Public Service Cutbacks, will again be the price we have to pay to repair this mess.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Such as wanting secure shelter? An education? Job security? A pension? Freedom rather than debt slavery?

That rule went out the door in 1980 when ageism, sexism, and I don`t like your face became the order of the day, now entrenched in our membership of this Global Economy. :rolleyes:

OK I'll bite. Practical ideas to stop the rot:

1. Phase out benefits to all but the most needy. Single mothers to be given financial incentives to give children up for adoption.

2. Introduce points system for managed immigration and proper border policing.

3. Lower school leaving age to 14 to allow technical and mechanically minded pupils to undertake part time work mixed with vocational schoolwork.

4. Permanently exclude any disruptive pupils on a 'three strikes' principle and educate them in reform schools until 14 (see 3 above).

5. Zero tolerance policing - nip crime in the bud rather than pointlessly process criminals through the justice system and clog up the prisons.

Of course this will all just be dismissed as racist or facist or something and we'll all continue down the jolly road of decline! :lol:

OK I'll bite. Practical ideas to stop the rot:

1. Phase out benefits to all but the most needy. Single mothers to be given financial incentives to give children up for adoption.

2. Introduce points system for managed immigration and proper border policing.

3. Lower school leaving age to 14 to allow technical and mechanically minded pupils to undertake part time work mixed with vocational schoolwork.

4. Permanently exclude any disruptive pupils on a 'three strikes' principle and educate them in reform schools until 14 (see 3 above).

5. Zero tolerance policing - nip crime in the bud rather than pointlessly process criminals through the justice system and clog up the prisons.

Of course this will all just be dismissed as racist or facist or something and we'll all continue down the jolly road of decline! :lol:

Dont know your age, but those are the tried, tested, and proved policies of the boomer generation. Approved Schools, Borstal Training, that was the place for the trouble makers, all abolished now, and God are we paying the price.

Girls who were pregnant either had the children taken into care and adopted, or they lived in single parent hostels. That put enough girls off for it not to become an epidemic.

People are going to laugh at what you have suggested, however what you suggest is what made this nation a profitable and enjoyable place to live in years gone by.

With regard to immigration, out of interest, why do we need any immigration at all ?

If a nation is training its young, immigration could be dispensed with?

The Boomers (who ever they are) lived in a different world- no internet, no off shoring, no outsourcing, no unregulated financial markets, no imigrant labour shipped in to compete with them in the job market, no buy it up and flog it TV shows and press hype.

Let's not forget that the "working classes" have had their work shipped off to China and the miners would stand a chance in today's trendy Green society.

Who made the decisions and choices that led to all this? Today's kids? I think not.

It's the people who are retired today who were working... and voting... when the foundations for the current system were laid.