House Price Crash Forum

Well Over The Psychological 6% Barrier Now

HOLA441

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/mortgage/remor...e/pickadeal.htm

10% minimum deposit with reservation fee 2 years Option A 2 years Option B 3 years 5 years 10 years

Initial rate 6.08% 5.98% 6.33% 6.08% 6.08%

Followed by 6.99% 6.99% 6.99% 6.99% 6.99%

The overall cost for comparison is 7.1% APR 7.1% APR 7.1% APR 6.9% APR 6.6% APR

Reservation fee# £499 £999 £499 £599 £499

5% minimum deposit with reservation fee 2 years Option A 2 years Option B 3 years 5 years 10 years

Initial rate 6.48% 6.38% 6.73% 6.48% 6.48%

Followed by 6.99% 6.99% 6.99% 6.99% 6.99%

The overall cost for comparison is 7.2% APR 7.2% APR 7.2% APR 7.0% APR 6.9% APR

Reservation fee# £499 £999 £499 £599 £499

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
I can't seem to find any lender doing 25 year fixed mortgages either - what gives?!

Maybe no-one in their right mind wants to lend money for 25 years at a fixed rate when there's a credit crunch rushing towards us screaming for blood?

HOLA445

Great, APRs over 7%. Surely the crash has happened already.

Alas no, the great british public seem to be able to pull money out their ass at will (and I take my hat off to them for this).

Perhaps the black economy is much, much bigger than anyone believes and people have other sources of income?

Whatever it is, there is not much evidence of pain yet, only the bleating of the tabloids.

HOLA446

There maybe hysterics going on in the media, but most people I know who have mortgages do not see BoEBR @ 6% as being high. I'm sure there are plenty of overstretched people out there, but the majority of the home owning population will not have bought in the last 5 years and will not be that overstretched.

I personally am a homeowner with a relatively large mortgage, but if I were in a position where I would be worried about rates at levels any less than 10% I would not have considered buying! Anyone with a mortgage not fixed for the entire term has to take rate rises on the chin as a fact of life. So I say 6%... bring it on.

HOLA447
HOLA448
What about non-mortgage debt?

Credit card rates do not seem to have moved much at all over the last few years. And if you qualify and are happy to be a rate tart, one can still have debt of £10000s that cost a tiny 2.5% (balance transfer fee) annually. Personally, I prefer to make use of such deals so I can keep the money I would have used to pay off cheap debts in a bank account earning 6%.

HOLA449