House Price Crash Forum

WHERE are they going to build all these houses? Britain is already far too full! Does than mean bye bye green belt and countryside and hello more urbanisation- I can't think of anything worse myself! Is there really this massive shortage of housing or is it mainly that they are far too expensive! There are an awful lot of new flats that have been built, esp in brighton where I am, and yet many are overpriced and EMPTY!!

This country is rubbish!

:unsure:

We've got all these old landfill sites that are full. They can build there on there.

Actually there's loads of places to build. Masses of brownfield sites in cities that could have another million flats squeezed on them.

If you want that many houses though you'll have to build on a field eventually.

Can't believe people are falling for the same old spin again! :blink:

As an earlier poster noted, didn't we already have very similar announcements made years ago by Prescott. Apart from the fact that Brown is PM and is in desperate need of some good PR, what else has changed?

I'll be too old to care and most likely will have emigrated by then. I think our generation has been sacrificed at the unholy filth ridden pagen alter of nu labour economics.

Guest Farticus

The whole purpose of this 3M new houses being built is a massive SCAM

The building market has started to suffer and this will guarantee jobs (especially for new immigrants) for a few more years.

5 years down the line when a recession has hit, the immigrants have gone elsewhere for work, the RTB's have sold and a few more boomers have passed on, it will guarantee that we have approcimately 6M empty properties in UK Plc

Crash anyone?

Its called making a bad situation worse in the long term.

(Politicians only care about the next 2 years)

>Brown wants 3,000,000 new homes by 2020

Now that's what I call a BTL empire. I wonder if he needs to put down a deposit.

VMR.

No, that pair of c*nts in Kent who 'own' half a town are going to run and manage the whole thing for him. A pair of former teachers if I am not mistaken. Ideal New Labour apparatchiks.

Funny how they never spell things out.

Problem:

We have a housing affordability crisis

Solution:

Build more houses

Sub-text - do not, under any circumstances, mention that the solution is designed to make houses cheaper. How else can they become more affordable?

Gordon Brown promises massive increase in house building to bring house prices down.

That's more like it.

Funny how they never spell things out.

Problem:

We have a housing affordability crisis

Solution:

Build more houses

Sub-text - do not, under any circumstances, mention that the solution is designed to make houses cheaper. How else can they become more affordable?

Gordon Brown promises massive increase in house building to bring house prices down.

That's more like it.

Indeed, I think this is the reason for Brown's "eco towns" proposal. These "affordable" homes are to be like an island of affordability in a sea of high house prices. They are to be physically separate from the existing housing stock to prevent accusations of crashing the market.

I wonder if they test these ideas out on focus groups and found they can peddle such rubbish with impunity?

Well that should put the shortgage of supply argument to bed once and for all :)

Really hope this happends. Then we can put all this HPI crap to bed once and for all.

Oversupply is the way forward. <_<

Indeed, I think this is the reason for Brown's "eco towns" proposal. These "affordable" homes are to be like an island of affordability in a sea of high house prices. They are to be physically separate from the existing housing stock to prevent accusations of crashing the market.

I wonder if they test these ideas out on focus groups and found they can peddle such rubbish with impunity?

I doubt if they even bother. They know 95% of people don't really think or care about anything. It would be nice to see a headline tomorrow like:

Brown promises to get house prices down by increasing supply

But I'm not holding my breath.

Yvette Cooper on BBC news24... more houses, blah, shared ownership, blah, shared ownership blah. I wonder if she is up for sharing her house with someone?

No mention of BTL being a problem, she a VI by any chance?

Anyone know how many houses Godron Broom has got?

If they really wanted to tackle the shortage issue they would tax BTL and the more houses you have the more you get taxed.

Yvette Cooper on BBC news24... more houses, blah, shared ownership, blah, shared ownership blah. I wonder if she is up for sharing her house with someone?

No mention of BTL being a problem, she a VI by any chance?

Anyone know how many houses Godron Broom has got?

If they really wanted to tackle the shortage issue they would tax BTL and the more houses you have the more you get taxed.

If they really want to tackle the shortage issue, they should build millions of new homes and sell them at an affordable price.

This won't be popular with all the VI's eg. anyone who paid over the odds for some sh*theap over the last 5 years, but so what.

Stupidity was never something to be proud of anyway. <_<

Wasn't Prescott saying the same thing 8 years ago? And look what happened! errr...nothing... :blink:

My guess is that the government are quite serious about this. I've seen similar happen in the Netherlands where huge estates seemed to spring up almost overnight on former green fields to cope with the expanding population. I just don't believe that the government could allow it to go on without becomming a serious political problem.

My guess is that the government are quite serious about this. I've seen similar happen in the Netherlands where huge estates seemed to spring up almost overnight on former green fields to cope with the expanding population. I just don't believe that the government could allow it to go on without becomming a serious political problem.

The govt. estimate that 230k homes are required each year to keep pace with the rate of household formations. they are offering to build 250k. that is an excess of 20k houses per year (and it will be years before they even start if they ever do).

20k is not going to put much of a dent of any in the supply side, in fact immigration exceeding estimates will probably cover this 10 times.

WHERE are they going to build all these houses? Britain is already far too full! Does than mean bye bye green belt and countryside and hello more urbanisation- I can't think of anything worse myself! Is there really this massive shortage of housing or is it mainly that they are far too expensive! There are an awful lot of new flats that have been built, esp in brighton where I am, and yet many are overpriced and EMPTY!!

This country is rubbish!

:unsure:

Only 3% of the country is built upon. Go up in an aircraft sometime and use the window. You are repeating a myth that the CPRE delight in seeing espoused.

ANDY

Only 3% of the country is built upon. Go up in an aircraft sometime and use the window. You are repeating a myth that the CPRE delight in seeing espoused.

ANDY

But the only thing thats still great about this b*****y country is the countryside !! Once that's gone, there's nothing left.