House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dude wheres my house

Stocks Seem To Be Lining Up For A Beating Today

It looks like the stock market is going to take another hit today....Just wondering how long you all think it will go on for?

18 minutes.

What IS the point of speculating on this? The nut case who posts every move in every market on here started a thread yesterday about the FTSE opening with a record leap. By mid-afternoon it was well down below opening.

It means nothing .... unless you get one of those 500 point falls in 20 seconds. They're fun.

It looks like the stock market is going to take another hit today....Just wondering how long you all think it will go on for?

It'll carry on for awhile....

Market Mantra: "Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... Sub Prime... " :unsure:

Edited by studdymx

Just looks like an average summer period of sideways trading to me.

I think there's going to be a lot of volatility because there are so many uncertainties sloshing around. We'll see another oil spike or two, I expect, but there's no telling exactly what impact that will have. US exporters will continue to do well, for a while at least.

My feeling is that stocks with international end-markets will fare better relative to those with a domestic focus. There are good reasons why retailers and banks might see earnings forecasts revised down in the coming months but I don't see any reason why there should be a broad decline across all sectors. Valuations are sensible because investors have been pricing in bad news forever. Demand in foreign markets, from raw materials to high tech, just keeps on booming.

I'm no expert though - this information does not represent a solicitation to buy or sell any security etc. etc. :)

18 minutes.

What IS the point of speculating on this? The nut case who posts every move in every market on here started a thread yesterday about the FTSE opening with a record leap. By mid-afternoon it was well down below opening.

It means nothing .... unless you get one of those 500 point falls in 20 seconds. They're fun.

EXACTLY.

I've got to stop checking in on these types of topics - no offence dude wheres my house but they are just ridiculous.

EXACTLY.

I've got to stop checking in on these types of topics - no offence dude wheres my house but they are just ridiculous.

I find it all quite interesting.... There are so many threads about the economy in general this is a live feed of what is happening. You can learn a lot from looking at the stock market

Each to their own

18 minutes.

ROB

So, what, you haven't definitely

decide to dump me? There's still a

chance we'll get back together?

LAURA

I don't know.

ROB

Well, if you don't know, there's a

chance, right? It's like, if someone

was in the hospital and he was

seriously ill and the doctor said, I

don't know if he's got a chance of

survival or not, then that doesn't

mean the patient's definitely going

to die, now does it? It means he

might live. Even if it's only a

remote possibility.

LAURA

Oh, Rob, shut up.

ROB

Hey, I just want to know where I

stand. What chance --

LAURA

Okay, okay, we have a nine percent

chance of getting back together.

Does that clarify the situation?

ROB

Yeah. Great.

I find it all quite interesting.... There are so many threads about the economy in general this is a live feed of what is happening. You can learn a lot from looking at the stock market

Each to their own

Day trading ha ha! You might aswel have a pin and a donkey!

However for the long trading game

Oil and energy stocks in general (gas, unleaded petrol, heating oil) = Long

Oil service industry, exploration etc = Long

Dow and S&P (although dow is still meeting resistance at 13500)= Short

Food stocks (Wheat, oats etc) = Long

Bear Stearns and related stocks into sub prime = Short

To name a few of my open positions

Mark.

ROB

Yeah. Great.

My all-time number 1 favourite film.

The others, in autobiographical order are

Indiana jones and the temple of doom

The hudsucker proxy

Fight club

American History X

On a related topic, a comment (from 10 minutes ago) from a friend in the credit derivs business:

"US market has just opened, and credit spreads are blowing out like crazy. It's a full-on market collapse!"

Good call on that one, thanks. Did nicely yesterday, more to come today as a result of the Moody's rerating after the markets closed.

Just be careful with Stearns as it can swing a lot. I am running a 700 point stop on that one at the moment at 20 quid a point. I'm in profit on it already but am looking forwards to the 16th :)

Mark.

On a related topic, a comment (from 10 minutes ago) from a friend in the credit derivs business:

"US market has just opened, and credit spreads are blowing out like crazy. It's a full-on market collapse!"

Yes the S&P is down over 25 points today already so nice for my short trade yum yum.

Mark.

Nice

Nice.jpg

Edited by Soul Reaver

ROB

So, what, you haven't definitely

decide to dump me? There's still a

chance we'll get back together?

LAURA

I don't know.

ROB

Well, if you don't know, there's a