House Price Crash Forum
handyman

The North South Divide/job Life Balance

depends what you are looking for ;)

Happiness with quality free/social time.

I read a recent article saying that people on £15,000 P.A. are happier in their jobs and in life than people on £40,000 P.A.

Happiness with quality free/social time.

I read a recent article saying that people on £15,000 P.A. are happier in their jobs and in life than people on £40,000 P.A.

Generally I think that is true

In this day & age I think the more you earn = the more you can get credit = the more you spend on credit= the bigger hole you can dig yourself

I have been astonished and saddened by many of the things I have read on this board but most saddening is the way that sheeples are having to sell their life & soul to own property in London & SE when they could live up North & have a life

In this day & age I think the more you earn = the more you can get credit = the more you spend on credit= the bigger hole you can dig yourself

I have been astonished and saddened by many of the things I have read on this board but most saddening is the way that sheeples are having to sell their life & soul to own property in London & SE when they could live up North & have a life

Let me think about this, am I happier now earning £40k plus than I was earning £15k?

Definitely!

Am I happier down South than I was up North?

Certainly.

Have I found the more I earn the more credit I use?

Definitely not.

Have I dug myself a big hole?

No.

Do I have a good work/life balance?

Yes, a 37 hour week on average, almost every weekend free, good holidays.

Not everyone living in the bottom half of the country has sold their soul, I appreciate I may be in the minority, but I suspect many on this board are in a similar position. ;)

Let me think about this, am I happier now earning £40k plus than I was earning £15k?

Definitely!

Certainly.

Definitely not.

No.

Not everyone living in the bottom half of the country has sold their soul, I appreciate I may be in the minority, but I suspect many on this board are in a similar position. ;)

Two questions - how long do you spend getting to and from work and how much of your income do you spend on accomodation?

it depends if you enjoy your job.

I hated my last job (currently, ahem, retraining on an MSc course...) and earned about 30k, goodish for up north, free weekends, 35 hr week, so great work life balance, except i HATED my job.

I knew a guy a while ago, self-made millionaire, who understood I hated moy job.

He told me this:

"I work an 80 hr week minimum, but it doesn't feel like it because I really enjoy it - if, like you, you work a regular week in a job you don't enjoy then it's far worse"

I feel that a bit of ambition and hard work is good for the soul, providing you work to your aptitudes and get rewarded with recognition and progression, money is a small part of all this. But this can make a 40k job more rewarding than a 15k one, or vice-versa depending on the individual circumstances. I think a lack of unnecessary financial commitments is a good way to provide the flexibility to be able to choose this without worrying.

Just got back from work. Its a City job. I'm figuring out that to dig myself out of the mortgage hole I need to work hard. The sums required to be the other side of the rainbow are staggering. Even a 3-400% bonus isn't that much after Brown/Darling have wet their beaks.

Back to it tomorrow I s'pose............... :(

Edited by uncle_monty

it's not cheaper here than in the south, except for the best bits of london

Recently treated SWMBO & the kids to a few days in London staying with friends - the first time I've been down the smoke in 20 years.

It's very difficult to make like for like comparisons, but judging from the EA windows I glanced in in the fairly ordinary area of S London my mate lives in I would suggest that prices are around 50% higher than in my fairly ordinary area of S Manchester. This comes as no surprise; however a visit to a Sainsburys mini market brought the realisation that food & booze prices are 50% higher too! I had innocently assumed that the likes of Sainsburys had national pricing policies. Oh, no!!

In fact the only thing in London that seemed cheap was the train & tube daily saver ticket - £15 for a family of 6. Good old Red Ken, eh?

Apart from the high flyers though, wages aren't much higher. Everybody seems to be more stressed and works longer hours. In Manchester the rush hour is over by 6 o'clock in the evening. In London we were surprised to see people piling out of trains at 7.00 and 8.00pm on their way home.

My wife - a senior nurse - would hardly earn any more than she does at home.

It was all very nice for a few days; but I don't know how people manage! Give me the NW any day!

Edit - I've just remembered the congestion charge! Got caught out by that driving along Baker Street. All of a sudden the roads become quiet!

Good old Red Ken, my ar$e!!!

Edited by Mr Yogi

Two questions - how long do you spend getting to and from work and how much of your income do you spend on accomodation?

It takes me between 20 and 30 minutes to travel to/from work, depending on traffic.

Income spent on accommodation = £0, other than maintenance costs. we own our home.

We don't live in London or it's suburbs though, I think I might feel differently if we did.

Like most people, there are days I hate going to work but I think that's the same in any job you do, it's just a case of taking the bad with the good and getting on with life.

Definitely!

Certainly.

Definitely not.

No.

Ditto to the above

Though I am not sure South Cheshire qualifies as the North as it is close to Stoke which is the Midlands. I am sure it would be to those idiots who consider the North to be anything North of Watford.

One has to remember that the salaries are much lower. My Sister's partner earns approx 20K and my Sister works part time so between them they approx 30K. They still took on a mortgage for 150K which is almost 5* their salary and still can not afford children so I am not sure there is much difference other than the fact that it does not take them over an hour to drive 15 miles. I would consider this to be their main advantage.

I was at University in Manchester so to be honest anywhere outside North Manchester was a bonus. As a trainee I was only earning 15K and living in an area where flack jackets should be compulsory. I felt my stress levels reduce the day I had Manchester in my rear view mirror and knew I was never going back.

One of the reasons I left engineering to go into teaching is because wages became not dissimilar plus the shortage of secondary teachers offered more chances to move somewhere cheaper. Which has proven to be true. Haven't yet made a run for somewhere cheaper though, cos even the cheap places are too expensive now in 2007.

Hence why I want to emigrate.

Edited by Bushy Tail

There is no one clear answer - it depends on your personal circumstances.

Some people have a positive outlook and some don't - as a foreigner in Yorskhire the one thing I do notice going back to London is how miserable people look when you get off the train at Kings Cross - head down, a**e up and going for it . . . . wherever that might be.

Some people are lucky to be happy with their lot (and that can be £15K or £50K) so its not the amount - I think some of the big earners are locked in to the corporate ladder to pay for keeping up with the Jones's - but apart from that its a state of mind. (20% of solicitors want out!)

I'm lucky in that I do not have to work, I choose to work and some weeks thats 2 days and others it 5 - its up to me. I have to say thats been the turning point for me - when you don't have to go to work ALL the pressure comes off. To be fair though I spent 5 years building a successful business that nearly ruined my life and health to get here but I now enjoy every day - it is possible even for an Engineer!

But if I could offer one tip to all the younger folk who are worried remember that house prices will fall, get in, pay off your mortgage and MOST of your burden will be gone and life will seem a lot happier whether you are on £15K or £50K - it may not seem possible right now but it will be. So endeth the sermon.

So keep smiling

:D

SB

I have looked into it in the past, my mother in law lives in the North and she is always saying we should move there (despite the fact she actually lives in the South and is only in the north looking after a relative).

However as some have mentioned wages are generally lower and more importantly for me there are fewer jobs around in the IT industry, before you all jump on me I have done the research, for example using my skill set returns 31 jobs in the area of the North I would be interested in (the search had to be extended in distance because of a lack of results therefore no advantage with regards to a commute) and in London it's 1,339.

I lived near the south coast for a while, that was also cheaper but again my job options were seriously limited.

I don't have any hard figures but from my research in terms of income and cost of housing there is little benefit to living in the North or South, you either pay higher prices but get paid more interms of wages or get paid less and pay less. I'd much rather be in an area where I had more options open to me.

As an academic, what I earn is basically the same wherever I work - the difference is between 'real' universities and the former polytechnics rather than between north and south. So I have chosen to work in the north, where my £40K or so goes a lot further. It's a no-brainer. But for my DH, who works in IT, the choice is much harder. Up here, he earns much less than he would in the South East. Also, many of the 'northern' IT jobs in his field (data architect) are actually with consultancies and they are only nominally up here, they require nationwide mobility. Another no-brainer when you have small children and a working wife. So he has settled for a less prestigious but much more family friendly employer. Would we go down south? No: all the gains on his salary would be eaten up with the extra housing and transport, and 'London allowance' is pitiful.

I have looked into it in the past, my mother in law lives in the North and she is always saying we should move there (despite the fact she actually lives in the South and is only in the north looking after a relative).

However as some have mentioned wages are generally lower and more importantly for me there are fewer jobs around in the IT industry, before you all jump on me I have done the research, for example using my skill set returns 31 jobs in the area of the North I would be interested in (the search had to be extended in distance because of a lack of results therefore no advantage with regards to a commute) and in London it's 1,339.

I lived near the south coast for a while, that was also cheaper but again my job options were seriously limited.

I don't have any hard figures but from my research in terms of income and cost of housing there is little benefit to living in the North or South, you either pay higher prices but get paid more interms of wages or get paid less and pay less. I'd much rather be in an area where I had more options open to me.

also IT jobs down south are generally better with more professional and motivated colleagues, not an absolute rule certainly, but my former luddite IT job contrasted massively with the go-ahead attitude of friends working in similar areas down south.

Everyone up north can't be on less than the national average wage of £24,000 P.A. because I saw a quality TV program last week called 'LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION' and it showed a couple buying a house in a town called Dronfield for £750,000.....

I live in Surrey. Its beautiful and a great place to bring up kids. London on the doorstep and countryside all around with the coast an hour away. However the cost is amazing and the working hours are very long. Is it any better in the North, i dont know? What i do know is its 12.25 AM and ive just got in from work and tomorrow will be no different. By the way, i will be back in London for 8.00.

What i do know is its 12.25 AM and ive just got in from work and tomorrow will be no different. By the way, i will be back in London for 8.00.

Wow how do you do it? Can I have some of your motivation/stamina?

Wow how do you do it? Can I have some of your motivation/stamina?

Dont have much of either to be honest - just running round the wheel and im in the habit. Up at 6.15, buy a coffee before getting on the 6.50 and snooze into London. At work before 8.00. Most people are in the office by 8.00. Do i want this for my children - please God no!!!!!!

I live in Surrey. Its beautiful and a great place to bring up kids. London on the doorstep and countryside all around with the coast an hour away. However the cost is amazing and the working hours are very long. Is it any better in the North, i dont know? What i do know is its 12.25 AM and ive just got in from work and tomorrow will be no different. By the way, i will be back in London for 8.00.

No I have always worked roughly the same amount of hours.

I am generally at my desk at 7am and get home at around 9.30-10pm and it was often later when I lived in the North as I spent a lot of time at clients premises.

These are not long hours considering I used to work in middle management for a multinational and I was often at my desk at midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning and I was often not the only one. I was even called into the office from a wedding once on a Sunday. I consider my hours now relatively light although my blood pressure would disagree as it is often near the 100 mark. The problem is if you work in a large organisation then the bosses are Nazi's and expect more and there is always someone behind ready to do it if you are not. On the other hand if one works for a smaller company the resources are limited so long hours have to be worked to get the job done.

My boss lives 90 mins away and is in every day so there is no excuse for me really.

Dont have much of either to be honest - just running round the wheel and im in the habit. Up at 6.15, buy a coffee before getting on the 6.50 and snooze into London. At work before 8.00. Most people are in the office by 8.00. Do i want this for my children - please God no!!!!!!

Yes, what a great parent you are.

Where's Daddy?

On the flip-side, I worked till 9pm last night, but as I can afford to live in zone 1, I managed to go out for dinner, get eight hours sleep, grab a cab and be in work for 9 on the dot (hopping in the shower now). Should be mortgage free in 3-5 years (having bought 18 months ago).

A worthwhile sacrificed for one of the priced-out generation? Reluctantly, yes.

I think many on this forum discount the increased competitive environment for all resources as a result of increased aspiration.