House Price Crash Forum

First Time Buyers Stop Moaning And Give Up Fags

HOLA441

First time buyers urged to give up fags to get on the 'first rung'

First time buyers could be helped onto the first rung of the property ladder due to the smoking ban according to Abbey mortgages...We do wonder at the quality of these press releases at times...

Add that to stamp duty exemption and first time buyers are nearly there, apparently! Just ignore the fact that most first time buyers are priced out by the odd 100K placed on the price of a property since 1999..READ MORE?>>

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...&cat=44-0-0

HOLA442
The statement comes after research from Abbey found that 43 per cent of potential first time buyers would be prepared to give up their nicotine fix to get a foot on to the first rung. And Abbey is sure that the public smoking ban could give them just the kick they need.

Yup, the silly season is officially upon us.

Anyone else wonder whether as many as 43% of potentially FTBs even smoke at all, let alone would consider giving up?

What a joke.

HOLA443
HOLA444
:lol:

I gave up 18 months ago, strangely housing seems to be no more affordable now than it was then, although I do have a much bigger (potential) deposit. :)

I had to give up fags just after I 'got on the ladder' in 2004 because I couldn't afford them any more!

Seriously, I managed to give up with ease within 3 months of buying my flat - I decided to stop one day when I realised I hadn't had a ciggie for 5 days, and had no withdrawal symptoms. Previous attempts to give up had been hell.

But I certainly wouldn't recommend this aid to quitting smoking. Getting 'on the ladder' now could seriously damage your health!

HOLA445

Nici at the Abbey seems to be in 'let them eat cake' mode. I find it unbelivable how out of touch many huge organisations are with the 'FTB plight', mind you thewordonyourstreet site from the Abbey and buyingyourfirsthome.co.uk from the Halifax sums up the overall attitude from the top down perfectly for me. Give up fags and beer, eat beans on toast, buy clothes from oxfam, lose the gym membership and run in the used pumps bought from oxfam or swim in a lake, use the condom twice....wtf difference will it make when most ftbs are priced out by 100K? Where's Orbital when you need him? :blink:

HOLA446

Of course these companies want you to live like a tramp so you can afford a mortgage, because then they will get 60% of your wages for the next 25 years. And everyone will be happy. Especially them.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Funny how he vanished after interest rates went up, isn't it?

Not quite - he wrote the article that prompted this thread. Of course, it had to be thoroughly proof-read by a team of typewriting primates with high boredom thresholds.

HOLA4412
Nici Audhlam-Gardiner, Head of Mortgages at Abbey, said:

"With the smoking ban here to stay it really is the ideal opportunity to save up some hard cash for a first home. So, it's time for all those first time buyers that told us they'd quit cigarettes to get on the housing ladder, to put their money where their mouth, or should I say their cigarette, is."

Amazing how some muppets get such a high profile & responsible job. Verbal diarrhea at its best!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

First time buyers could be helped onto the first rung of the property ladder due to the smoking ban according to Abbey mortgages...We do wonder at the quality of these press releases at times...

Add that to stamp duty exemption and first time buyers are nearly there, apparently! Just ignore the fact that most first time buyers are priced out by the odd 100K placed on the price of a property since 1999..READ MORE?>>

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...&cat=44-0-0

Yes I knew i was doing something wrong - all the money i waste on Cigarettes and the IPods! I should be saving it all to buy a house - oh - hang on I dont smoke or have an IPod. So what am I doing wrong!?

What an a*%e that bloke is to come out with such a stupid statement..... :angry:

HOLA4415
Yes I knew i was doing something wrong - all the money i waste on Cigarettes and the IPods! I should be saving it all to buy a house - oh - hang on I dont smoke or have an IPod. So what am I doing wrong!?

What an a*%e that bloke is to come out with such a stupid statement..... :angry:

Think this is part of a viral marketing approach. Say something offensive or ridiculous to get noticed. In the internet marketing world its known as "link baiting."

Seems to have worked.

Next it will be "sell your kids to get on the housing ladder."

Desperate!

Edited by rover2000

HOLA4416
Think this is part of a viral marketing approach. Say something offensive or ridiculous to get noticed. In the internet marketing world its known as "link baiting."

Seems to have worked.

Next it will be "sell your kids to get on the housing ladder."

Desperate!

Damn, I dont have any kids either - there is no hope for me....

:unsure:

HOLA4417
Funny how he vanished after interest rates went up, isn't it?

He's not the only one, Mark.

I presume it's hard to get a minute when one is trying to hold down five McJobs trying to make ends meet.

edit -

oops. On re-read, it sounded like I was having a pop at MarkG. Not the case.

Edited by adren

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well if they cut down on that other well known vice they might have more energy to do a second job. :D:P

HOLA4421

Nici Audhlam-Gardiner, Head of Mortgages at Abbey,

I cannot believe that anyone sanctioned thise

you are an idiot and I will NEVER put business your way you patronising git.

spread the word about the FTB business which has been lost and this tw@tface may lose his job

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Nici at the Abbey seems to be in 'let them eat cake' mode. I find it unbelivable how out of touch many huge organisations are with the 'FTB plight', mind you thewordonyourstreet site from the Abbey and buyingyourfirsthome.co.uk from the Halifax sums up the overall attitude from the top down perfectly for me. Give up fags and beer, eat beans on toast, buy clothes from oxfam, lose the gym membership and run in the used pumps bought from oxfam or swim in a lake, use the condom twice....wtf difference will it make when most ftbs are priced out by 100K? Where's Orbital when you need him? :blink:

They aren't out of touch, they know exactly what is going on.

I shall now put my tin foil hat on and suggest we'll be hearing more of this from now on.

This stuff isn't really for the ears of the FTB its for the fat, smug Daily Mail reading boomer types to consume.

There isn't a problem, its always been 'ard, young folk today don't want to save (iPods etc), it was a struggle in our day and you didn't hear us complaining etc etc. This is entirely what the VIs want as many people as possible to continue to think. Whining FTBers aren't an issue for them, a national housing crisis would be even if they want to play "I'm alright Jack" most people are selfish but not entirely stupid.

The Stamp Duty issue is a similar thing IMHO, its a debating tactic to keep discussing a sum of 1500 quid like it was the root of the problem.

HOLA4424

Dear Potential First Time Buyers,

Take note of what Abbey are saying. Good idea to give up the fags, but DON`T give your saved cash to Abbey. Sit tight, wait until the lenders are struggling to get any new business throught the door, and sellers are reducing their prices. In a year or two, you should then be able to buy a house and still afford to eat. If Abbey and their fellow thieves, I mean responsible mortgage lenders, have their way, you may get a mortgage, but you`ll be giving up everything else.

HOLA4425