Experts: "snap Up Seaside Property Now,"

HOLA441

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/localnews/d...say_experts.php

Snap (
PROP
) up seaside property now, say experts
By Andy Whelan
Comment
First-time buyers have been advised to invest in a Sussex seafront property before prices escalate and the last remaining bargains disappear.
Despite the rising house prices, first-time buyers can still find an affordable home in a number of Sussex's seaside resorts.
Seafront properties are still available in many of the county's towns for £150,000, less than the national average house price of £209,000..../
Council leaders and
estate agents
have advised people to invest in Sussex's seaside towns at the earliest opportunity before prices escalate.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Melanie Bien, of the mortgage broker Savills Private Finance, said: "
Pretty
seaside towns can act as a premium to house prices.

Wot--business getting a bit slow? Italics mine :lol:

Even at 150K for a one room bedsit overlooking some grey pebble sandless beach is well beyond most people's budget given an average income of around 23K and no more cheap subprime intro rate loans.

IMO, better to wait until the crash sends prices spiralling down to the depths of a HPC pit never to crawl out again in a Brown style boom.

They use the word "pretty" to describe the Sussex coast towns. Well, apart from Rottingdean I have never seen such hideous places in all my life. Grey, barren, treeless towns with cheap chippies, rough pubs and not an ounce of character to be seen. And for cultural diversity there is bowls, bowls and bowls.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442
HOLA443
Prices have are stablised dorset coast, at the bottom end for the last 2-3 years.

Studios [if people remmember] are still 70-90K.

One bed flats 100-140K also.

And still plenty to choose from.

No rush at all, to buy.

Wow 70K. You can't get a bedsit above a chippie in my area for south of 100k. And we all thought the South was expensive. <_<

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA444
HOLA445

"They use the word "pretty" to describe the Sussex coast towns. Well, apart from Rottingdean I have never seen such hideous places in all my life. Grey, barren, treeless towns with cheap chippies, rough pubs and not an ounce of character to be seen. And for cultural diversity there is bowls, bowls and bowls."

Careful...... I lived in Brighton / Worthing for all my life (until moving to rent in SE7 6 weeks ago). Brighton has improved leaps and bounds in the last 15 years, the seafront is actually an attractive place to go, there are a LOT of parks, and as for cultural diversity - outside of London I don't think anywhere beats Brighton on that score (second largest UK festival outside of Edinburgh). There are indeed some grimmer places along the coast (subjectively speaking - I'm not going to name them) but there are also some fantastic towns that are still labouring under labels that ceased being accurate 20 years ago.

Personally I don't think Rottingdean is that great either once you get beyond the chocolate box facade. Awful transport links.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/localnews/d...say_experts.php
Snap (
PROP
) up seaside property now, say experts
By Andy Whelan
Comment
First-time buyers have been advised to invest in a Sussex seafront property before prices escalate and the last remaining bargains disappear.
Despite the rising house prices, first-time buyers can still find an affordable home in a number of Sussex's seaside resorts.
Seafront properties are still available in many of the county's towns for £150,000, less than the national average house price of £209,000..../
Council leaders and
estate agents
have advised people to invest in Sussex's seaside towns at the earliest opportunity before prices escalate.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Melanie Bien, of the mortgage broker Savills Private Finance, said: "
Pretty
seaside towns can act as a premium to house prices.

Wot--business getting a bit slow? Italics mine :lol:

Even at 150K for a one room bedsit overlooking some grey pebble sandless beach is well beyond most people's budget given an average income of around 23K and no more cheap subprime intro rate loans.

IMO, better to wait until the crash sends prices spiralling down to the depths of a HPC pit never to crawl out again in a Brown style boom.

They use the word "pretty" to describe the Sussex coast towns. Well, apart from Rottingdean I have never seen such hideous places in all my life. Grey, barren, treeless towns with cheap chippies, rough pubs and not an ounce of character to be seen. And for cultural diversity there is bowls, bowls and bowls.

You want grim ? - go to Portsmouth :(

HOLA449
Why are they telling other people to buy them, rather than investing in them themselves, if they're such a sure thing?

Its Savills Private Finance, trying to ramp them. Probably hope to hook in a few gullible investors.

HOLA4410

People who like holes go to holes! Brighton is garbage, it is too hilly, it is in decline and it is choc full of [homowners] :lol: It IS full of shat shops and the fish and chips are of dire quality, considering they are by the sea!! :o Plus. there are more boutiques etc in my South East london trianagular township than in that fest pit! As for the pavilion :lol:

RB 1 Brighton 0 :P

HOLA4411
People who like holes go to holes! Brighton is garbage, it is too hilly, it is in decline and it is choc full of [homowners] :lol: It IS full of shat shops and the fish and chips are of dire quality, considering they are by the sea!! :o Plus. there are more boutiques etc in my South East london trianagular township than in that fest pit! As for the pavilion :lol:

RB 1 Brighton 0 :P

Yep,I can't understand why Brighton has done so well recently.It is very much a divided Society like London with the ultra-rich living alongside the down and outs.The siege mentality which the locals live under is very depressing.In the report out at the weekend Scarborough and Bridlington were identified as the best value for quality of life.Personally,I would recommend Filey(in between the two) with a population of only 7000 and situated in a beautiful sheltered bay,lovely buildings and four ravines going down to the sea similar to the Bournemouth chines.Why would any one pay £500 000 to live on the Royal Crescent,Brighton with all the crime and graffiti when £100 000 gets you a better place on the Royal Crescent,Filey.

Spent last week at Blackpool.Now that is basically Brighton crime levels without the rich people.I have to say though that nearby St.Annes is bloody nice and is getting better as fast as Blackpool is going down the pan*.And there, a good Victorian ''Porritt'' flat can cost as little as 100K.I will still be running the gauntlet of crime in Blackpool next year,however,as I like walking the coast up to Fleetwood or down to St. Annes and where else can you get BB and EM for under £20.

*Rather disappointing to see the graffiti in Stanley Park where the homeless now appear to sleep.The beggars are getting more aggressive.Had to call 999 as a tramp was trying to commit suicide outside Louis Tussauds.Noted a wreath on one of the back streets near Lytham Road to a recent stabbing.Don't try and use the toilets at the bus station,they are used for injecting drugs.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4412
"They use the word "pretty" to describe the Sussex coast towns. Well, apart from Rottingdean I have never seen such hideous places in all my life. Grey, barren, treeless towns with cheap chippies, rough pubs and not an ounce of character to be seen. And for cultural diversity there is bowls, bowls and bowls."

Careful...... I lived in Brighton / Worthing for all my life (until moving to rent in SE7 6 weeks ago). Brighton has improved leaps and bounds in the last 15 years, the seafront is actually an attractive place to go, there are a LOT of parks, and as for cultural diversity - outside of London I don't think anywhere beats Brighton on that score (second largest UK festival outside of Edinburgh). There are indeed some grimmer places along the coast (subjectively speaking - I'm not going to name them) but there are also some fantastic towns that are still labouring under labels that ceased being accurate 20 years ago.

Personally I don't think Rottingdean is that great either once you get beyond the chocolate box facade. Awful transport links.

Brighton, visited it again for the first time in a while just recently…

And it’s full of drunken students clogging the clubs and violent holiday makers vomiting on the streets.

What first appears to be lanes of diverse and interesting stores is quickly revealed as many stores selling the same stock…

I do like the place, too many students and too many grockels…

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

"Council leaders and estate agents have advised people to invest in Sussex's seaside towns at the earliest opportunity before prices escalate"

I love the "before prices escalate" part- Brighton is now so out of touch with reality that its a disaster waiting to happen. This article is also from the same paper that stated 2 weeks ago that house prices in Brighton were now so bad, you needed a pilots salary to buy a 1 bed flat! And the same council that were not advising anyone to overstratch themselves and borrow more than 4 times salary- the average house price in this lovely town is now 12 times median salary of 23k!

HOLA4415
ahhh.... SE7, home of the greatest football team (my opinion only of course!)

Funnily enough I've bought a season ticket as it's only 15 mins away, the deal was so good and it will be good to see some live matches. I'll only be able to get back to Brighton for 7 / 8 matches during the season, so thought would watch my 'local' side even if they're not 'my' team. Most importantly I belive there is a shared 'disregard' for the denizens of Selhurst Park.

As for the point of the thread, Brighton is horribly over-priced, especially given the average wage / type of job in the town. However, it is a brilliant place to live (rather than comment about).

RB was massively wide of the mark with his comment about ALL Sussex coast towns - that's what I was getting at.

HOLA4416

B0LL0CKs EAs talk B0LL0CKS,

All they want is to try and sell the properties they sold to BTLs 3 years ago so they can run off with a profit

Brighton to let doesn't give you any return

Properties are sitting..

Nobody has any money..

Try Hastings its a third of the price and can't get any worse

Edited by 234SALE

HOLA4417
Guest Yeahbutnocrash

I agree that regarding Brighton anyway the 'rocketing' appears to have already happened

Maybe prices will start to soften there along with (most of) the rest of the country due to the IR increases

However I'm sorry to say that longer term our seaside may get more popular with summer temperatures becoming unbearable in the hotter european destinations

HOLA4418
............I have to say though that nearby St.Annes is bloody nice and is getting better as fast as Blackpool is going down the pan*..........

Don't be fooled by the veneer of respectability. St. Annes and Lytham are all fur coat and no knickers.

Behind those net curtains many of the residents are up to their necks in debt to maintain a lifestyle of "keeping up with the Jones's" and are now paddling furiously to maintain a pretence of financial stability. I expect repos and bankruptcies to hit the place hard in the years ahead.

Many of the teenagers are trainee chavs too, just as sullen, moronic, and bone idle as their counterparts up the road in Blackpool, with the added bonus that many of then are also spoiled rotten and expect everything on a plate.

The place is going downhill almost as fast as Blackpool only it's not quite so obvious.....yet.

HOLA4419
Don't be fooled by the veneer of respectability. St. Annes and Lytham are all fur coat and no knickers.

Behind those net curtains many of the residents are up to their necks in debt to maintain a lifestyle of "keeping up with the Jones's" and are now paddling furiously to maintain a pretence of financial stability. I expect repos and bankruptcies to hit the place hard in the years ahead.

Many of the teenagers are trainee chavs too, just as sullen, moronic, and bone idle as their counterparts up the road in Blackpool, with the added bonus that many of then are also spoiled rotten and expect everything on a plate.

The place is going downhill almost as fast as Blackpool only it's not quite so obvious.....yet.

Didn't see the trainee chavs but it was a week day.Thanks for the warning.

HOLA4420
Just in time for global warming to raise sea levels and wash your gaff away! :(

Brighton seafront houses are quite capable of falling down all by themselves, without any help at all from the sea

If you have any thoughts at all of buying seafront property in Brighton then banish them forever: Google the word 'Bungaroosh'

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

HOLA4421

st annes is considered as the place people from blackpool go to once theve made a few quid.

i worked around all the fylde coast and i can tell you this.

st annes is where you get the most bounced cheques, its also where the residence get out 6 builders to quote for a 90 pound job, and when you do start the job they turn into such a nightmare that you end up just packing up your tools and quitting it.

in blackpool the people make you tea and pay you cash.

i know which i prefer

HOLA4422

Trouble with all seaside towns in the UK is that they are dead from October to March, and even in the summer unseasonal weather can ruin outdoor fun. This one of the reasons I decided to move to southern Spain for 10 months of the year sunshine. You can pick up 2 bed flats here for 100k sterling if you look hard enough, but the problem is that wages are terrible, so you still can't win unless you have a big wad of cash.