House Price Crash Forum

Interesting Conversation With Ll

kunekune

HOLA441

LL popped round on Thursday night. It was a bit embarrassing as the kitchen was not even faintly tidy (last night's empties on view). But I think we have a fairly good relationship so that isn't a big deal. Hopefully. His main reason for popping in was to talk about an essay he's writing for his Masters course (I'm a lecturer in the subject area). But I asked about what was likely to happen when our AST finished in September. He is honest, I'll give him that. It seems that he would like us to stay on, because they have a fixed term mortgage which finishes in September 2008. After that, it's unclear because he knows that the amount they can get in rent does not match what it will cost them. So they may well think about selling. We have said we want an ordinary periodic tenancy, so that we can give notice if we find a house we want to buy (yeah but). However, it does seem as though buying is going to be necessary if we stay in this town, as there are NO SUITABLE RENTALS should we have to move. There is a house on the market I like, but it is too expensive (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-14915447.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy) - we could get the mortage needed but that isn't really the point. We don't want that big a mortgage regardless of what the 'experts' tell us we can afford. My feeling is that we stay put and watch out for houses with big drops in the right area but on the other hand houses which are big enough and private enough are a bit unusual. This is the first for over a year - I have been watching a while. Am I being daft?