House Price Crash Forum
Chriso

One More Rise To Kill The Masses?

Don't know how much faith I put in an MSN poll, but the below question and response cheered me up

Could you cope with another rate rise?

Yes 43%

Just about 18%

Not really 17%

Not at all 22%

Over 5000 responses so a decent straw poll, almost 1 in 4 look shot to ship with another rise!! Even before thinking about 2, 3, 4 further rises.

It is always sad that some hard working families be hit while investors enjoy their tax breaks.

After a boom the bust nearly always hits the hard working the hardest. The speculators are usually long gone.

Don't know how much faith I put in an MSN poll, but the below question and response cheered me up

Could you cope with another rate rise?

Yes 43%

Just about 18%

Not really 17%

Not at all 22%

Over 5000 responses so a decent straw poll, almost 1 in 4 look shot to ship with another rise!! Even before thinking about 2, 3, 4 further rises.

If IRs hit 6% by the end of the year the 17% of not reallys could join the 22% of not at alls. 39% even in a mickymouse MSN poll is a sizeable number which if representative of the general population would be nigh on catastrophic.

Don't they normally use ~2000 people for national opinion poles etc? A sample of 5000 would make these responses very accurate!

Yes = I'll be fine, probably

Just about = I guess so, but I'm close to the edge

Not Really = If I tightened my belt I would be ok, but I want my current lifestyle so I'd rather not

Not at all = I'm already sweating and one more rise I'm fooked

by my reckoning, over half the poll are belting up to ride the Ball Buster. Hope they haven't just eaten :lol:

Yes = I'll be fine, probably

Just about = I guess so, but I'm close to the edge

Not Really = If I tightened my belt I would be ok, but I want my current lifestyle so I'd rather not

Not at all = I'm already sweating and one more rise I'm fooked

by my reckoning, over half the poll are belting up to ride the Ball Buster. Hope they haven't just eaten :lol:

They may hope they have as it could be a long time before they eat again. :P

Don't they normally use ~2000 people for national opinion poles etc? A sample of 5000 would make these responses very accurate!

You are right. However, the problem is not in the sample size but in what is called selection bias.

In the MSN poll the respondents are self-selecting which leaves open the possibility that people who think they might not be able to cope with another interest rate rise might be more (or less) likely to respond to the poll - hence skewing the result. Other selection biases that might arise occur are that people who are responding to MSN are likely to be from certain sections of society (e.g computer literate, middle class, based in the South East) and they may be more (or less) likely to vote in such a poll and be more (or less) likely to have mortgage problems.

In other words an MSN poll is not like, say, a MORI poll on voting intentions which is specially designed to be taken from a random representative sample of the whole of society.