House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Declining To Give A Reference

TheSlump

HOLA441

Just wondering what if anything you can do about a landlord who declines to give a reference to a credit checking company?I've no idea what the Estate Agent involved's response is going to be yet and wondered if anyone knew what usually happens.

We have never caused any problems and always payed the rent but the landlord doesn't seem very happy about us leaving as a result of the latest rent increase.

Is there anything I can do? Does this affect my ability to rent from someone else. Most rented property aound where I live is through Estate agents. Thanks in advance for any advice.

HOLA442
Just wondering what if anything you can do about a landlord who declines to give a reference to a credit checking company?I've no idea what the Estate Agent involved's response is going to be yet and wondered if anyone knew what usually happens.

We have never caused any problems and always payed the rent but the landlord doesn't seem very happy about us leaving as a result of the latest rent increase.

Is there anything I can do? Does this affect my ability to rent from someone else. Most rented property aound where I live is through Estate agents. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If necessary I`ll say I was your landlord and make up any story you need. All free of charge, minus the cost of postage stamps :);)

HOLA443
If necessary I`ll say I was your landlord and make up any story you need. All free of charge, minus the cost of postage stamps :);)

Ive just gave a letting agents £150 for credit checks and references, they have come back to me and said no problems. Asked for my currents Landlords details and my work details, they havent contacted either, makes me doubt if they have even bothered with a credit check! (I will check my credit file in a month or two to see if they have carried out a search). Makes you wonder what ive paid £150 for and what the Landlord would do if he knew how "lax" his costly letting agents are being!!. Not sure if this is common practice or not?

HOLA444
Ive just gave a letting agents £150 for credit checks and references, they have come back to me and said no problems. Asked for my currents Landlords details and my work details, they havent contacted either, makes me doubt if they have even bothered with a credit check! (I will check my credit file in a month or two to see if they have carried out a search). Makes you wonder what ive paid £150 for and what the Landlord would do if he knew how "lax" his costly letting agents are being!!. Not sure if this is common practice or not?

Letting Agent I went through to rent a house did contact my references as both references informed me.

All that plus credit check (for both me and the girlfriend) = £100 total.

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA445

The LL may be willing to give a phone reference at least to confirm you paid the rent every month and that there has been no damage.

HOLA446
Guest muttley

There must be loads of cases where the landlord doesn't give a reference. The real problem is when the LL gives you a bad reference.

I employed a member of staff who was completely useless, so I terminated her contract after 4 months. In the time I got to know her it became apparent that she liked to use litigation as often as possible. In the following couple of years I received several requests for references, but I was reluctant to give a bad reference for fear of ending up in court. ( In case you think I am being unduly paranoid, she was very wierd).

I took (free) legal advice and was told to confirm the job title, rate of pay and dates of employment, but no more. I was then to include the sentence "It is the policy of this company not to give full references".

I was tempted by a friends suggestion, which was to put "You would do well to get this person to work for you", but chickened out.

Basically, all I am saying is that the LL can't give you a bad reference, so don't worry.

HOLA447
There must be loads of cases where the landlord doesn't give a reference. The real problem is when the LL gives you a bad reference.

I employed a member of staff who was completely useless, so I terminated her contract after 4 months. In the time I got to know her it became apparent that she liked to use litigation as often as possible. In the following couple of years I received several requests for references, but I was reluctant to give a bad reference for fear of ending up in court. ( In case you think I am being unduly paranoid, she was very wierd).

I took (free) legal advice and was told to confirm the job title, rate of pay and dates of employment, but no more. I was then to include the sentence "It is the policy of this company not to give full references".

I was tempted by a friends suggestion, which was to put "You would do well to get this person to work for you", but chickened out.

Basically, all I am saying is that the LL can't give you a bad reference, so don't worry.

Again, if you find yourself stuck I`ll provide references etc. I do this for almost free (please pay for a few postage stamps) as I`ve been in sticky situations like this. As Earl said `I`m just trying to be a better person` ;)

HOLA448
Again, if you find yourself stuck I`ll provide references etc. I do this for almost free (please pay for a few postage stamps) as I`ve been in sticky situations like this. As Earl said `I`m just trying to be a better person` ;)

I've just been through the same thing. The last two rentals I've been in I've burnt the bond. As far as LL reference checks go. Just provide the reference company with a pay as you go mobile phone number - carry this yourself or give it to a friend to answer. I even give the correct LL name just incase the reference company is checking land registry etc.. As long as your employment and credit history is golden you'll be fine.

Regards,

kbob

HOLA449

I have to say that I would not take this free advice, it is in fact fraud and will get you a lengthy term inside if you defaulted on the rent and they checked you out. It would be a criminal investigation, and you would never ever get work for any large corporation, I doubt even Tescos would take you to stack shelves with a fraud conviction on your CV.

If I were you, I would contact the Landlord in person, and ask if they can write out a reference, if they refuse then ask them why.

HOLA4410
I have to say that I would not take this free advice, it is in fact fraud and will get you a lengthy term inside if you defaulted on the rent and they checked you out. It would be a criminal investigation, and you would never ever get work for any large corporation, I doubt even Tescos would take you to stack shelves with a fraud conviction on your CV.

If I were you, I would contact the Landlord in person, and ask if they can write out a reference, if they refuse then ask them why.

Your a little paranoid!

Lets see the EA uses a reference checking agency which may or may not even exist in 1 or 2 years, even if they are still around have they maintained the filing system and document storage of your signed reference information/authorisation form (for a "criminal investigatiion" :))

Humm now lets see how a criminal investigation (rape, murder, criminal damage etc... lets not forget how lazy the police are in this country ever had your car broken into?) could come about for something that at most is a five to six month wait for a county court date for non payment of rent. What evidence would they have? Now even if that reference agency that your paid 30-60 pounds to for a reference check had kept the forms how can you prove who really has an anonymous pay as you go mobile sim? Do you think the police are going to spend time requesting phone checks records for a minor civil CCJ hearing?

Laurejon you have no idea or legal background?

Regards,

kbob

HOLA4411
Your a little paranoid!

Lets see the EA uses a reference checking agency which may or may not even exist in 1 or 2 years, even if they are still around have they maintained the filing system and document storage of your signed reference information/authorisation form (for a "criminal investigatiion" :))

Humm now lets see how a criminal investigation (rape, murder, criminal damage etc... lets not forget how lazy the police are in this country ever had your car broken into?) could come about for something that at most is a five to six month wait for a county court date for non payment of rent. What evidence would they have? Now even if that reference agency that your paid 30-60 pounds to for a reference check had kept the forms how can you prove who really has an anonymous pay as you go mobile sim? Do you think the police are going to spend time requesting phone checks records for a minor civil CCJ hearing?

Laurejon you have no idea or legal background?

Regards,

kbob

They`re letting serious criminals out - the way jails are bursting at the seams, there`s no way they`ll bang up someone just for lying on a credit check. Once the new gulags are built that`ll be a different matter of course! :lol::unsure::(