House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-my-area/marketTrendsTotalPropertiesSoldAndAveragePrice.html?searchLocation=bn2

Thanks for the graph link - have never seen that

That's looks a huge drop in sales for May across BN1, 2 & 3. Does the figure for the last month go up if more sales are reported or is that the final figure?

Surely estate agents won't put up with that for long.

Is anyone reporting on that fall in numbers of sales?

and we are getting the highest average price ever. what the ****** is going on ? Its madder than ever.

The reason we have a peak average price again is due to the figures being skewed to the top end. There are very few FTB's coming into the market - flats I understand are a bugger to shift at the moment - whereas houses are selling to folk who have a house to sell. Houses being swapped by homeowners and far fewer ftb's buying cheaper flats has skewed the average. From my experience we are still 10% off the peak prices.

The reason we have a peak average price again is due to the figures being skewed to the top end. There are very few FTB's coming into the market - flats I understand are a bugger to shift at the moment - whereas houses are selling to folk who have a house to sell. Houses being swapped by homeowners and far fewer ftb's buying cheaper flats has skewed the average. From my experience we are still 10% off the peak prices.

This table shows the average price and the amount (in brackets) of properties sold for the last available 6 months:

Dec-10 Jan-11 Feb-11 Mar-11 Apr-11 May-11 Detached £344,269 (13) £319,712 (17) £285,833 (12) £297,909 (11) £319,179 (10) £333,969 (8) Semi

Detached £220,640 (25) £249,918 (11) £224,039 (23) £249,950 (10) £268,412 (10) £256,250 (4) Terraced £289,844 (41) £268,854 (25) £279,300 (30) £291,355 (28) £311,204 (26) £329,167 (9) Flat £189,999 (45) £193,269 (28) £217,297 (31) £180,181 (19) £185,750 (22) £191,688 (8) All £245,363 (124) £250,828 (81) £246,855 (96) £255,262 (68) £265,495 (68) £282,508 (29)

I guess you are right,

In months when a number of flats have sold of flats averages look around 250. Unhappily the price of a terrace seem to hovering on the wrong side of 250K... utter maddnes .

from here

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-my-area/marketTrendsTotalPropertiesSoldAndAveragePrice.html?searchLocation=bn2

Edited by i wanna house

Holiday plans for Brighton Home 'owners' I know:

5 % going on posh villa or all inclusive holiday abroad or have even more expensive plans (£2000 - £10,000)

30 % camping abroad (£1,500 to £2000) then dumping kids on both sets of grandparents for 2 weeks (free!)

30% holiday abroad in grandparents foreign property (flights only, say, £600) plus optional camping in UK as well (£250)

25 % caravan / camping in UK (between £250 and £500) then dumping brats on 2 sets of grandparents (free!)

5 % visiting family / friends in UK (free!)

5 % staying at home doing bugger all but at least not spending

Only rough estimates but one thing's for sure, Brighton homeowners are LOVING these historically low interest rates! Many moaning 'We can only afford camping this year . . .' but with the Euro / sterling exchange rate, camping abroad still costs a minimum £1000k to £2000 per family - for one week! So there's still plenty of spare money out there.

Their face B) . Mine :angry: and this for good measure <_<<_<<_<

...and what is your interpretation of the charts ToW?

Can you compare year on year rather than just the last 6 months?

Hi Lorna,

Sorry for my delay in replying. (I haven't been visiting this section much, we kind of gave up on Brighton as a target area - too expensive for us, unfortunately. :( )

This chart compares the number of Marketed Properties in the past 24 months. It clearly shows that the merchandising is pilling up on the shelves. :) It is excellent news. It points to falls in the next 3-6 months.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-my-area/marketTrendsTotalAvailableListingsAndNew.html/svr/3109?searchLocation=bn2

By the way, the laft tab there "sold properties", uses data from the Land Registry, and it is therefore not reliable for at least the 2 most recent months, as they have a delay there.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently met a couple of more families stuck in in small 2 bed flats with 2 or more kids outgrowing the place. They say they desperately need 3 beds with a garden but can't move 'because we're self employed no one will give us a mortgage'. Both parents are working, both families have equity, yet they literally CANNOT move. They are only surviving because interest rates are low.

So if there will be no interest rate rises til 2013, by which time inflation will have changed the economic landscape - what happens to these Brighton self employed types?

a) they split up because living conditions too cramped

b ) they try to get a 'proper' job just so they can get a mortgage after working somewhere depressing for 2 years or so

c) they sell and move out of Brighton to Eastbourne / Worthing / St Leonards to get bigger space for their money - but no friends

d) they wait for Mum n Dad to downsize and give em some cash - come on you old duffers, you don't need it!

e) they wait for parents to die and sell family home

f) they wait til one parent dies and then sell old family home but have to care for the remaining parent

g) London and South East become like Japan where people have to go to Love Hotels just to get away from mad, cramped living quarters and people sleep under their desks at work and have miniature toothbrushes and combs and cutlery

Aaaaaargh! I wish it would all just hurry up and collapse!

Edited by shell

I think the average went up coz flats crashed much more than detached.

I don't think they did? If you look at this comparative report

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?location=bn2&startmonth=04&startyear=2008&endmonth=04&endyear=2011

shows that detatched house price (bit volatile due to the small volumes on big places), terrace, semis and flats all seem to have moved by approximately the same amount?

little annecdotal. My freind brought her place in May 2007. She just completed on the sale (moving to a bigger place) - for the same figure, to the pound, as she brought it for. In the time she owned it she painted a couple of rooms, but nothing much more

Edited by 5lab

Brighton is filed in my head under "places I'd consider moving to if there was any work/the train fares into London weren't so expensive/if it represented value for money" - and I've saved/tracked a few 2 bed flats in RM.

So in connection with shell's 2 bed flat anecdotal and 5labs charts, I do actually think the lower end of the market is dropping.

I don't constantly follow the market like I do in London, so having just checked my Rightmove Brighton 2 bed flats "file", it was good to see that none of them had sold and nothing in that band seemed to have increased. It was quite noticeable in the same way you might not see a mate for ages and consequently really notice that they'd been on a diet.

Brighton is filed in my head under "places I'd consider moving to if there was any work/the train fares into London weren't so expensive/if it represented value for money" - and I've saved/tracked a few 2 bed flats in RM.

So in connection with shell's 2 bed flat anecdotal and 5labs charts, I do actually think the lower end of the market is dropping.

I don't constantly follow the market like I do in London, so having just checked my Rightmove Brighton 2 bed flats "file", it was good to see that none of them had sold and nothing in that band seemed to have increased. It was quite noticeable in the same way you might not see a mate for ages and consequently really notice that they'd been on a diet.

my rightmove shows that places father out like portslade , woodingdean etc are indeed dropping. The usual mentalness prevails in town though. gotta be them londoners :P

my rightmove shows that places father out like portslade , woodingdean etc are indeed dropping. The usual mentalness prevails in town though. gotta be them londoners :P

I used to vaguely listen to people whinging on about how they can't afford to live in their home town in Devon/Yorkshire/wherever because of those Londoners pushing up prices. It's now apparent to me that as a Londoner I've got no hope of buying in the place I live either. There's a super breed of Londoner/Foreign investor I tell you, the rest of us are looking at the specials in Morrisons and selling things on E-bay. Arghhh.

I used to vaguely listen to people whinging on about how they can't afford to live in their home town in Devon/Yorkshire/wherever because of those Londoners pushing up prices. It's now apparent to me that as a Londoner I've got no hope of buying in the place I live either. There's a super breed of Londoner/Foreign investor I tell you, the rest of us are looking at the specials in Morrisons and selling things on E-bay. Arghhh.

it baffles me even more than here how people afford to buy houses in london.... unless everyone is on £75,000 a year .

Still i wouldn't move to brighton if you can help it . It's shit . and when the sun comes out you can move for day trippers.

it baffles me even more than here how people afford to buy houses in london.... unless everyone is on £75,000 a year .

Still i wouldn't move to brighton if you can help it . It's shit . and when the sun comes out you can move for day trippers.

If you hold foreign currency the London property market has crashed by about 30% over the last few years (well the pound has crashed, but the result is the same) So London property looks quite cheap. Also it is easy to rent out property in the UK (landlords are relatively well protected) and there are plenty of people with jobs and looking to rent. Also non-residents don't have to pay capital gains tax, and I suspect many don't bother declaring the rental income. However non-residents can get hold of finance, and the UK is generally considered a pretty safe bet for owning property. So for foreigners, buying in London seems a pretty good move.

Some people on this thread like to take a good humoured dig at Londoners out pricing the locals in Brighton, but as I've mentioned before, I don't think that many Londoners would consider Brighton if it wasn't for the fact that they themselves have been priced out. The way to resolve the situation is to make London residential property less attracftive to non-residents.

Some people on this thread like to take a good humoured dig at Londoners out pricing the locals in Brighton, but as I've mentioned before, I don't think that many Londoners would consider Brighton if it wasn't for the fact that they themselves have been priced out. The way to resolve the situation is to make London residential property less attracftive to non-residents.

Sums it up. As an average Londoner I don't decide on a whim that I'm going to leave behind my friends, social ties and the place I live in/love - to up sticks to somewhere like Brighton and treble my journey time to work. I want to stay here, but most Londoners are priced out as well and have to consider alternatives. London's an amazing city so justifies a premium price tag, but the last 10 years or so has been taking the major biscuit.

Sums it up. As an average Londoner I don't decide on a whim that I'm going to leave behind my friends, social ties and the place I live in/love - to up sticks to somewhere like Brighton and treble my journey time to work. I want to stay here, but most Londoners are priced out as well and have to consider alternatives. London's an amazing city so justifies a premium price tag, but the last 10 years or so has been taking the major biscuit.

Anyone want a larf?

PropertyBee -asking price down from 600k to 395k. Still looks ostentatious and overpriced... It has 4 beds, nr commute-to-London stn, 3 parking spaces and 3 bathrooms, but it is still a FLAT, up a big HILL :P !

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31064003.html?premiumA=true

03 August 2011

Price changed: from '£425,000' to '£395,000'

27 June 2011

Price changed: from '£450,000' to '£425,000'

10 June 2011

Price changed: from '£475,000' to '£450,000'

13 April 2011

Price changed: Guide Price £500,000 £475,000

23 February 2011

Brief Description changed: Exceptionally unique penthouse duplex apartment offered with a fantastic south roof terrace showing extensive views over the City as well as being offered with no onward chain. Other benefits include three underground secure parking spaces three bathroom/shower rooms, four double bedrooms, kitche...

14 October 2010

Price changed: Guide Price £600,000 £500,000

13 September 2010

Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing'

11 September 2010

Initial entry found.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the data entry clerk hit a 4 when they meant a 2? Although even 200 grand seems excessive though when you can't even park outside your house... Or have a garage. Or a driveway. Or a garden with any features whatsoever. Or a gap between your house and one of your neighbours. Or anywhere to put your wheelie bin and recycling boxes... Oh my...

When you look at the advert the first thing you see is"•£1000 BUYER'S INCENTIVE AVAILABLE (subject to terms and conditions)"

What does that mean? Why not reduce the price by £1000?

Looks like the data entry clerk hit a 4 when they meant a 2? Although even 200 grand seems excessive though when you can't even park outside your house... Or have a garage. Or a driveway. Or a garden with any features whatsoever. Or a gap between your house and one of your neighbours. Or anywhere to put your wheelie bin and recycling boxes... Oh my...

That extra 200k buys you a lifestyle, geddit?

theres only a waiting list for parking permits in some areas, in others the permits have no waiting list. Also if you move from a zone with an easy permit, to one with a long list, you skip the queue. Handy if you know someone in a no-waiting-list zone :)

When you look at the advert the first thing you see is"•£1000 BUYER'S INCENTIVE AVAILABLE (subject to terms and conditions)"

What does that mean? Why not reduce the price by £1000?

Are they saying you can get a "free" grand to help you to buy this property?

Maybe if you're mental enough to pay that price, they give you the 1k (subject to terms and coinditions) to spend on clinical psychology treatment.