House Price Crash Forum

Clearly I only found an abridged quote. Found the full comment on the main forum:

Geoffrey Holden FRICS, Parsons Son & Basley, Brighton, East Sussex - New instructions coming on but the increased prices from earlier this year have stopped. Applicants offering below the asking prices and are being difficult in raising the offers.

Applicants 'being difficult' about taking on stupid amounts of debt. Tsk tsk!

Anyone read the Argus reports about a Parking Scheme being implemented in Hanover/Elm Grove? Assuming (1) it is implemented and (2) it is not a 'light touch' one, any idea of what that might do to house prices in that area? Will it make it a more or less desirable place to live do you think?

Applicants 'being difficult' about taking on stupid amounts of debt. Tsk tsk!

Anyone read the Argus reports about a Parking Scheme being implemented in Hanover/Elm Grove? Assuming (1) it is implemented and (2) it is not a 'light touch' one, any idea of what that might do to house prices in that area? Will it make it a more or less desirable place to live do you think?

more desirable if you dont have a car, less so if you do ?

the whole scheme stinks of a money making racket by the council though.

more desirable if you dont have a car, less so if you do ?

the whole scheme stinks of a money making racket by the council though.

Oh yes!

If the purpose was to reduce commuter parking and residents abandoning vehicles long-term, then a light touch scheme would be the best solution (ie restricted parking for say one hr in the morning). It would still be a pain, but nowhere near as much as a full scheme. They could avoid the issues of doubling parking, parking on pavements, on corners etc by simly enforcing existing rules surely?

Fundametally, there are about 40% more cars wanting to park there than safe spaces. If peoople don't park there, then they will elsewhere - Lewes Rd/Hartington Rd area will suffer, as will the area to the west, south of Fiveways. The council will then 'consult' with those residents over a scheme, and so it goes on...

I do think the issue of HMOs is a big one here, but I suspect that trend is irreversible now, even with more on-campus student accommodation being built.

It is a tricky one for sure. I expect that given time, everyone will pay, and still there will be nowhere to park. It will look nicer though, give or take the meters every ten metres.

[/b]

Oh yes!

If the purpose was to reduce commuter parking and residents abandoning vehicles long-term, then a light touch scheme would be the best solution (ie restricted parking for say one hr in the morning). It would still be a pain, but nowhere near as much as a full scheme. They could avoid the issues of doubling parking, parking on pavements, on corners etc by simly enforcing existing rules surely?

Fundametally, there are about 40% more cars wanting to park there than safe spaces. If peoople don't park there, then they will elsewhere - Lewes Rd/Hartington Rd area will suffer, as will the area to the west, south of Fiveways. The council will then 'consult' with those residents over a scheme, and so it goes on...

I do think the issue of HMOs is a big one here, but I suspect that trend is irreversible now, even with more on-campus student accommodation being built.

It is a tricky one for sure. I expect that given time, everyone will pay, and still there will be nowhere to park. It will look nicer though, give or take the meters every ten metres.

Oh and a money-making scheme - the profits will be ploughed into building out bus stops and creating dangerous bike lanes, rather than enforcing the rules about parking on corners, filling in the potholes or building safe crossing points (apparently there is no money for that)...

i gave up on rightmove cos the yellow boxes stopped making me happy . but was on there today looking at prices in Lewes .

What are peoples opinions of the place. The burning Gypsies thing always put me off but i saw this house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-14107032.html?premiumA=true

and started thinking it might not be so bad there. At least prices might be more affordable sooner than in Brighton.

With regard to the house above .. why is there no photo from the front ? is something wrong with it ? I dont know lewes , is the location really bad ?

Lewes isn't a bad town actually, it depends what you want. Train service to London makes it popular with commuters, a lot of alternative thinking and bohemian types living there. Some interesting shops and pubs, but it's still pretty expensive for the nice areas, some of the not so good areas are very deprived and best avoided at all costs. Parking is a nightmare and the road system is rather archaic. But it has an interesting feel and vibe to the place.

Another Mishon Welton house that has been on for 2 years - not sold and so they've boosted the asking price (this time only 50k)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22646471.html

I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow morning. I had been labouring under the false impression that you could not get decent coke in Brighton but it appears that our friends at Mishon Welton might have hit the motherload..

Another Mishon Welton house that has been on for 2 years - not sold and so they've boosted the asking price (this time only 50k)

http://www.rightmove...y-22646471.html

I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow morning. I had been labouring under the false impression that you could not get decent coke in Brighton but it appears that our friends at Mishon Welton might have hit the motherload..

speaking of which.. did you ever know the wide boy geezer from regency estates (If memory serves me) in kemp town ? he was living it large for a good while on the back of housing benefit payments back in the old days.... he was often to be found n a beach in goa.

Shops all closed up now though...

Lewes isn't a bad town actually, it depends what you want. Train service to London makes it popular with commuters, a lot of alternative thinking and bohemian types living there. Some interesting shops and pubs, but it's still pretty expensive for the nice areas, some of the not so good areas are very deprived and best avoided at all costs. Parking is a nightmare and the road system is rather archaic. But it has an interesting feel and vibe to the place.

i guess the affordable house was in a bad area then....

i gave up on rightmove cos the yellow boxes stopped making me happy . but was on there today looking at prices in Lewes .

What are peoples opinions of the place. The burning Gypsies thing always put me off but i saw this house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-14107032.html?premiumA=true

and started thinking it might not be so bad there. At least prices might be more affordable sooner than in Brighton.

With regard to the house above .. why is there no photo from the front ? is something wrong with it ? I dont know lewes , is the location really bad ?

I don't think the location is really bad. I went to school in Lewes back in the 80s and found the place OK, and I doubt if it has got worse. The town is definitely quirky, but it does have character, decent pubs, and it's surrounded by countryside. Good for bringing up a family. Be careful about buying anything near the river though - it may be picturesque, but it floods occasionally and can make insurance a nightmare.

I've been noticing via property bee how many properties go through 2 or more sales that fall through and come back on the market. I believe that if there is going to be a property crash it's going to happen now, though how soon is now? (new pm is a smiths fan). Why?

1) Gordon Brown, the worst chancellor in history who kept inflating the housing bubble again and again has finally been sent packing. USA/Ireland/Spain etc house prices dropped 50%, Brown postponed our crash for electoral reasons, post election that reason has now gone. (mortgage interest paid on dole after 3 months, 2 years before bank repos etc)

2) Capital gains tax rising from 18% to 40%. Hopefully they will announce this is to come in from April 2011 giving BTL's and other property speculators nearly a year to dump their assets (as in houses for humans to live in), flooding the market and causing a drop in prices. Prices aren't going to rise much over next decade as wages need to catch up, so if you wanna get out with your profit, the last boat leaves imminently.

3) Once the trend is down, it will continue down, this government won't waste further tax payers money on propping up a housing market they know is at 3 times normal ratios, they may try and smooth it's descent which would be a good idea.

4) After the brief 2008 drop, the cash buyers piled in (now exhausted), then the bomads (soon dry up also + go for small flats), there's also the London buyers (can't sell as too expensive so can't move) and the Europeans taking advantage of weak sterling but Greece and UK cuts forecasts will make them wobble.

5) People on the dole can no longer borrow £300k to buy a flat, as banks are now having to be sane. Also they plan to break up the banks into investment and mortgage arms, presumably with removal of government backing if they ****** up. Now that they are gambling with their own money they may think twice before lending 300k to a dolite on a depreciating asset. So without liar loans, the prices are simply unaffordable and there's only so many people who can 'swap' houses without too large price differentials to be affordable .

6) I1-5 will cause loss of confidence in rising prices, and it was only confidence of that which bubbled it up in the first place. WIthout perverse Labour Gov intervention, normal economic forces will return and force a rebalancing to the 3-4 times salary multiple.

I sold last year and watched prices rise, though I can earn/save to outpace the rises so not too bothered, I figure it was just a dead cat bounce, and realisation is going to kick in pretty soon. I remember back 2 years ago looking at the graph for the 90's property crash and year 1-2 showed slow declines, but it was year 3 where it really dropped, right where we are now/soon. Either way worst case is houses don't drop and become ever more unaffordable, I'll just leave as will all my taxes, any skilled non-homeowners under 30ish will emigrate too when they wanna start a family, brain drain = less demand etc. Somewhere down the line the basic laws of economics will force their return to normal ratios.

BTW those election results in Hove/Brighton are shockingly close, who are these 30,000+ Labour voters? which part of 'one trillion in debt' and 'largest budget deficit in Europe' do they not yet understand? Or will they just blame the Tories for the cuts needed to sort out the Labour debt yet again and go on a march about it. Do I really wanna live in this place I wonder? Greens a colour not a serious political party. Lucas says "We don't think we actually need any cuts!" Yer we're gonna get rid of money and barter friendship bands for oil maaaan.

BTW those election results in Hove/Brighton are shockingly close, who are these 30,000+ Labour voters? which part of 'one trillion in debt' and 'largest budget deficit in Europe' do they not yet understand? Or will they just blame the Tories for the cuts needed to sort out the Labour debt yet again and go on a march about it. Do I really wanna live in this place I wonder? Greens a colour not a serious political party. Lucas says "We don't think we actually need any cuts!" Yer we're gonna get rid of money and barter friendship bands for oil maaaan.

I should imagine those 30,000 work for the council or have one of the many lucrative consultancy non job contracts from Labour or even SEADA.

I think Lucas is a pretty decent person and all that but lives in la la land regarding the cuts so can't be taken seriously. Sums up Brighton quite well really.

Liked your post btw.

Prices do seem to be going crazy in Brighton and Hove again. I actually can't believe how little you get for your money. It seems worse than 2007, then go ten miles along the coast and you can get a whole 3/4 bed house with change whilst in Brighton I'm seeing one bedders asking close to 400K. As others have pointed out some cheeky buggers haven't sold and are lobbing on an extra 50K or more. I have no idea where this is heading anymore :huh:

Typical Brand Vaughan (the most dispicable agents I have come across) - They cannot bear the fact that someone has foolishly made an offer on this house, but not near enough the asking price for their grasping little minds. They are so desparate that they are absolutely begging for a greater fool to come along. The property has been on the market for years....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25966916.html

AN OFFER HAS BEEN RECIEVED ON THIS PROPERTY WHICH THE VENDOR IS LOOKING AT AND MAY ACCEPT

PLEASE CONTACT US URGENTLY TO ARRANGE TO VIEW OR TO MAKE AN OFFER

What over a million for a terraced house with the basement flat sold off? Yeah right.

speaking of which.. did you ever know the wide boy geezer from regency estates (If memory serves me) in kemp town ? he was living it large for a good while on the back of housing benefit payments back in the old days.... he was often to be found n a beach in goa.

Shops all closed up now though...

only wideboy geezer i ever met in Brighton was called Toby..

Typical Brand Vaughan (the most dispicable agents I have come across) - They cannot bear the fact that someone has foolishly made an offer on this house, but not near enough the asking price for their grasping little minds. They are so desparate that they are absolutely begging for a greater fool to come along. The property has been on the market for years....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25966916.html

AN OFFER HAS BEEN RECIEVED ON THIS PROPERTY WHICH THE VENDOR IS LOOKING AT AND MAY ACCEPT

PLEASE CONTACT US URGENTLY TO ARRANGE TO VIEW OR TO MAKE AN OFFER

What over a million for a terraced house with the basement flat sold off? Yeah right.

Brand Vaughan not dealt with them myself but haven't heard anything good from others that have. I still rate Elliotts as the biggest sh!ts in town.

Mishon McKay have relisted everything on their books today wiping out all the property bee information. Now why would they do that?

Brand Vaughan not dealt with them myself but haven't heard anything good from others that have. I still rate Elliotts as the biggest sh!ts in town.

Mishon McKay have relisted everything on their books today wiping out all the property bee information. Now why would they do that?

i did wonder why the number of properties added in the last 24 hours had gone up from around 60 on average to 220..!

i did wonder why the number of properties added in the last 24 hours had gone up from around 60 on average to 220..!

They've all disappeared now and gone back to normal.

Edit to say BN3 back to normal but BN2 still looking dodgy where MM are concerned.

Edited by tigsrenting

Yeah - I also noticed that the "Curve" building from Grand Designs is still on the market with them: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-25940479.html

Been on the market for a while now :)

Auctioneer in Brighton, with 38 properties for sale.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find/Clive-Emson-Auctioneers/Brighton.html?locationIdentifier=BRANCH^67201&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

Any comments? They look too cheap. Too cr@ppy areas?

A lot of them are in cheap areas around Hastings. Auctioneers sometimes put low guide prices to attract interest, so it'll be intreresting to see what they go for (I think you can see previous auction results anyway from the Clive Emson website). It's worth keeping an eye on the auction houses because I reckon we might see some BTLers desperately try to offload portfolios before the CGT rise supposedly kicks in. Unfortunately buying at auction is tricky if you're not a cash buyer (you usually have to complete within a couple of weeks, which doesn't give you much time to get a mortgage).

A lot of them are in cheap areas around Hastings. Auctioneers sometimes put low guide prices to attract interest, so it'll be intreresting to see what they go for (I think you can see previous auction results anyway from the Clive Emson website). It's worth keeping an eye on the auction houses because I reckon we might see some BTLers desperately try to offload portfolios before the CGT rise supposedly kicks in. Unfortunately buying at auction is tricky if you're not a cash buyer (you usually have to complete within a couple of weeks, which doesn't give you much time to get a mortgage).

and the ones in Brighton didn't look cheap at all

and the ones in Brighton didn't look cheap at all

I stumbled upon the Southport thread today, in fact I'm going back to it tonight. I noticed you had posted there. Bl00dy Hell there are some seriously nice houses there at sensible prices. There's nothing sensible in this town anymore. I hear they have a sandy beach as well :)

WTF makes Brighton so expensive?

Two classic examples of BTLers extending houses in Bevendean to create monstrous HMOs and cram in as many students as possible:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26008108.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26008105.html

Interesting to see if they sell before the rise in CGT.

I've also noticed a lot of marina apartments suddenly appear on the market, both in Brighton and Eastbourne. Probably second-homers trying to sell before the CGT rise as well.

Things could start to get interesting.

Two classic examples of BTLers extending houses in Bevendean to create monstrous HMOs and cram in as many students as possible:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26008108.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26008105.html

Interesting to see if they sell before the rise in CGT.

I've also noticed a lot of marina apartments suddenly appear on the market, both in Brighton and Eastbourne. Probably second-homers trying to sell before the CGT rise as well.

Things could start to get interesting.

I hope the coalition gives some time for owners to unload their properties. Like implementing the higher CGT in April 2011. This way we would see lots of sales, and prices reductions.

However, if they implement it immediately, then we may see the opposite - many owners deciding to keep the properties for the long term. Worse if the gov. brings some taper relief.