House Price Crash Forum

Brighton Area

HOLA441
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Just been looking at rightmove Hove area, 1590 for sale but that includes sstc, a few garages, beach huts and many with multiple agents, so maybe it should stand at 1200. The top end are not moving and not reducing.

I like to use Poets Corner as a good measure of the market. During the summer of 2005 when it was at a stand still, properties in PC would still go very quick. The top end price for that area then was about 250K. Roll forward two years and some have been asking up to 380K. I have recently noticed quite a glut of them up for sale. Asking prices now are from 350K for the slightly larger ones around Stoneham down to 272K. :P

HOLA443

Looking at Rightmove there are a couple of houses that are asking lower prices but these seem to be the ones that have just come onto the market. Maybe the EA's have started talking the market down to new vendors?

A house has come on in the same road as a house I viewed in April. The house is almost identical and in slightly better condition and they are asking £15,000 less than the price achieved by the hhe house viewed in.

The vast majority of vendors are sittng and waiting perhaps praying for a interest rate cut.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I saw a report on BBC News' South Today programme yesterday evening about the collapse in the Brighton BTL market. You'll have to forgive my memory on it as I was a little worse the wear for the Apricot Liquor but the jist of it was as follows:

It was unreservedly bearish, no bullish counterbalance to it - the reporter interviewed an EA who said the BTL market in Brighton had completely and utterly dried up. The report finished up with a few words from a vicar or some kind of charity group that was talking about their provision for temporary shelter for the hard-up / homeless. I don't think they exactly spelt it out explicitly, but the link between bankrupt BTL'ers and this homeless shelter made it quite obvious. Incredible.

I can't find the video or even any mention of it on the South Today website, but it really made my day. The presenter, Jo Kent was grinning from ear to ear after the report was shown - I suspect she's part of the 'lost generation' that have been screwed over by BTL'ers and the housing bubble. Viva la crash.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

No I wasn't so off my face on Shinruchuu yesterday that I didn't know what I was watching. :lol:

Cheers for the link to that Politics Show thread - I always miss those stickied threads.

It seems that South Today have chopped up part of The Politics Show item on Brighton BTLs for their news item yesterday evening. Ah, from nine minutes in. They only used the ultra-bearish parts though, no mention of the softly-spoken EA bloke hoping for interest rate cuts.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Viewed a maisonette last week in Brighton which had originally been 279950 and down to 269 so we thought we'd view it as its in our preferred area but it wasn't for us at all.Agent rang yesterday and said it has been reduced to 245 if that would sway our decision

New build or is the last purchase price on Land Registry (OurProperty)? If so do you know what it was and when?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Viewed a maisonette last week in Brighton which had originally been 279950 and down to 269 so we thought we'd view it as its in our preferred area but it wasn't for us at all.Agent rang yesterday and said it has been reduced to 245 if that would sway our decision

I wonder how many will start dropping to below stamp duty range ;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well there are 6 properties on there all houses and none this year.No flats at all.I know a house was for sale on the same road for 525 which came down eventually to 485 but didn't sell and was let for 1300pcm.I went to a house sale in that house in the summer and the owners were going to australia but couldn't sell it I have noticed a few drops in prices but more than that agents are ringing me every day trying to get me to view things but still no price drops which I consider significant

HOLA4419
Well there are 6 properties on there all houses and none this year.No flats at all.I know a house was for sale on the same road for 525 which came down eventually to 485 but didn't sell and was let for 1300pcm.I went to a house sale in that house in the summer and the owners were going to australia but couldn't sell it I have noticed a few drops in prices but more than that agents are ringing me every day trying to get me to view things but still no price drops which I consider significant

Interesting. I left Brighton in 2000 so am intrigued to see "what I could have won"(/lost).

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I recieved a text today URGENT! house with 3 beds and conservatory for sale 250k.I rang back to ask where and the guy said the house had fallen through as the buyers had changed their mind and that the price was actually 250-275000 and they vendors wouldn't accept anything less than high end offers as when it was on before they ahd 6 offers.So why did they ring me and not those 6 previous buyers?It is also on the edge of a big council estate and is no way worth the £ Don't these people read the news?