House Price Crash Forum

Brighton Area

HOLA441

I have to admit that I am totally confused by what is happening to house prices in Brighton :blink: Asking prices seem to be almost back to 2007 peak AND they seem to be selling.

They're not selling much round my way. There are three houses advertised by Golden Lemke round the corner, still with For Sale signs. I'm sure the owners are asking too much and they'll be stuck on the market over the winter. They would have shifted by now if they had come on at least £100,000 less than the asking price. Owners are unrealistic and greedy.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13304379.html

This is the one that makes me laugh...£2 mil for a house in kemptown, next door to what looks like an HMO.an would be at least a 25 min walk each way to the station so unlikely to attract acommuter. I was told it belongs to actress Patsy Palmer but so what....

Agent must have confused it with Eaton Place in Belgravia!

HOLA443

New to the market!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23729524.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^230&sortByPriceDescending=true&maxDaysSinceAdded=1&pageNumber=1&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DOUTCODE%255E230%26sortByPriceDescending%3Dtrue%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D1

2 bed house!

No upstairs bathroom!

Near graveyard!

Slap bang in studentsville!

In area of high pollution concern!

A snip at £349, 950

FFS!

Quick aside - anyone got any views on Hollingdean - Dip area? Friends considering buying...(yes, I know).

HOLA444

New to the market!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23729524.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^230&sortByPriceDescending=true&maxDaysSinceAdded=1&pageNumber=1&fromSummary=true&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DOUTCODE%255E230%26sortByPriceDescending%3Dtrue%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D1

2 bed house!

No upstairs bathroom!

Near graveyard!

Slap bang in studentsville!

In area of high pollution concern!

A snip at £349, 950

FFS!

Quick aside - anyone got any views on Hollingdean - Dip area? Friends considering buying...(yes, I know).

The market is really very, very, very unstable.

The cause? Because the "economic agents" (all of us, the people) (well, actually only people with money and/or credit enough to buy properties, and people who own properties) are very confused, disoriented, anxious, afraid - unstable.

And why? Because the size of the bust was so huge, so humongous, and potentially so disastrous, that the measures being tried are extreme, and untested, unprecedented.

So it is really not possible to know what will happen. Economics can't help either, as mass behaviour and politics will play a big part in the process. So, in the same day you have 2 respectable analysts in 2 respectable newspapers articles warning of diametrically opposite dangers: deflation in one article, and hyperinflation in the other. This has never happened before.

Never in the field of human markets so many people were so confused by so many things.

We decided to brace, wait and see. We are spreading our little savings (building it up for a future deposit) in different baskets (20% in Euros, 20% in Yen, and don't know yet what to do with the rest 60%). Now lets wait and see. Just trying to play defence here - in a very unstable country.

Edited by Tired of waiting

HOLA445

The market is really very, very, very unstable.

The cause? Because the "economic agents" (all of us, the people) (well, actually only people with money and/or credit enough to buy properties, and people who own properties) are very confused, disoriented, anxious, afraid - unstable.

And why? Because the size of the bust was so huge, so humongous, and potentially so disastrous, that the measures being tried are extreme, and untested, unprecedented.

So it is really not possible to know what will happen. Economics can't help either, as mass behaviour and politics will play a big part in the process. So, in the same day you have 2 respectable analysts in 2 respectable newspapers articles warning of diametrically opposite dangers: deflation in one article, and hyperinflation in the other. This has never happened before.

Never in the field of human markets so many people were so confused by so many things.

We decided to brace, wait and see. We are spreading our little savings (building it up for a future deposit) in different baskets (20% in Euros, 20% in Yen, and don't know yet what to do with the rest 60%). Now lets wait and see. Just trying to play defence here - in a very unstable country.

I tend to agree with you ToW. It does feel like no-one can be sure where things are headed. You sound like you have done all a reasonable, well informed person could do...

However, when properties like the one above come on at that price, it does amaze me - that is a bubble on top of a bubble price!

As for my friends - they need to move (unusual circumstances) and won't be stretching themselves fortunately. I just wondered if anyone had any views on the area.

HOLA446
This is the one that makes me laugh...£2 mil for a house in kemptown, next door to what looks like an HMO.an would be at least a 25 min walk each way to the station so unlikely to attract acommuter. I was told it belongs to actress Patsy Palmer but so what....

From my favourite paper:

Go through the keyhole of some of Brighton's poshest homes

7:00am Tuesday 11th August 2009

http://www.theargus.co.uk/search/4538490.Go_through_the_keyhole_of_some_of_Brighton_s_poshest_homes/

Top homes still up for sale in Brighton and Hove

10:45am Wednesday 14th October 2009

http://www.theargus.co.uk/search/4680954.Top_homes_still_up_for_sale_in_Brighton_and_Hove/

HOLA447

From my favourite paper:

Go through the keyhole of some of Brighton's poshest homes

7:00am Tuesday 11th August 2009

http://www.theargus...._poshest_homes/

Top homes still up for sale in Brighton and Hove

10:45am Wednesday 14th October 2009

http://www.theargus....ghton_and_Hove/

Who's nick berry when hes at home ? is brightons millionaires row inhabited by no mark 'celebrities'

and is the argus just there o advertise house ?

Edited by i wanna house

HOLA448

and is the argus just there o advertise house ?

Yup!!

Quick, but important question - does anyone have any experience of using F*x and S*ns in Brighton? Please message me if you don't want to post in here....

Oh, and views on the Dip in Hollingdean still welcomed :)

Not me buying, as I mentioned before...

HOLA449

Anyone catch 'South Today' at the end of News at Ten just now? 200 jobs lost (total losses expeced to be 1500) at Land Registry because house 'transactions have dropped by 75%' and there isn't enough work for them.

So market only operating at 1/4 of normal transactions. No wonder things are weird.

HOLA4410

Yup!!

Quick, but important question - does anyone have any experience of using F*x and S*ns in Brighton? Please message me if you don't want to post in here....

Never actually used F & S, but I'd always go with an independent over a franchise. In Brighton they used to have a poor reputation for having stereotypical, mouthy, "try-it-on" EAs, while outside of Brighton they had a better, more upmarket reputation. Things might have changed though.

HOLA4411

Yup!!

Dip in Hollingdean

i find it a bit odd there . The houses look quite nice and i think some people who live there would rather pretend it was 5 ways. The local shops say all you need to know about the area. A bit depressing but not so bad

Oh and the pub at the top , 'the stanmer ' ? has a reputation for fighting

Edited by i wanna house

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I've noticed three properties go on RM this week all about 75K above the'market' price - ie what other people are asking. That makes them about twice as expensive as they should be then...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Says two bedroom at the top and five on the description. They must have tunnelled deep into the earth's core to get five bedrooms in!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Land Registry's fresh data.

Average house prices, Sep 2009:

Brighton and Hove: £197,275

London Region: £314,954

Comparing indexes in "London Region" (greater London, probably) with Brighton and Hove. Jan 1995 = 100

hpilondonbrighton.png

Thanks for that. Doesn't surprise me in the least. Brighton feels like it has been in London's pocket for quite some time now.

Not much is coming on the marker (last couple of weeks) in the family, average price bracket. Don't remember it being so slow this time last year. Hmm. How should I view this do you think?

HOLA4419

What do you guys make of this: price up nearly 30% SINCE 2007 peak (24 Gordon Road) and these are on actually SOLD prices!!!

See 42 Gordon Road on Zoopla! Ironic eh 'Gordon' Road

The only way out I can see is for people to basically do what millions of others around the world do every year and up sticks and emigrate to somewhere where you have a chance. Remaining in the UK you are just a cash cow to finance Gordon Bullsh*t Brown's insanity, the utilities and pay other peoples mortgages, treading water going nowhere, why even bother going to work?

You're earning about 20% less now compared to the dollar/euro than 2 years ago, so for people in the eurozone prices (in sane parts of Britain) are down by 40% so may be affordable, but for those stuck here the wrong side of the houseowner line there really is no future, beyond quitting work for a few years and doing a bit of crime to accelerate getting a council house. Decent hard working tax payers have been totally shafted right up the Jacksie by Gordon Browns decade of disaster, but as many of you voted for NuLab you only have yourself to blame.

I suggest any wannabe home owners priced out of the market, get sacked (don't resign) from work today, hit the dole and simply refuse to put in when you get nothing out. Most of the other 'put nothing ins' now in their 30's are way ahead of you in their 3 bed semi-detached council houses with nice gardens and the council a mere phone call away to fix anything that goes wrong, all paid for BY YOU!!! LOL. Alternatively get a 200k mortgage, then hit the dole or read up on some disability and let the other suckers pick up the tab for your mortgage, courtesy of Gordon Brown. Join the inverted meritocracy to get ahead.

Edited by All Seeing Eye

HOLA4420

Thanks for that. Doesn't surprise me in the least. Brighton feels like it has been in London's pocket for quite some time now.

Not much is coming on the marker (last couple of weeks) in the family, average price bracket. Don't remember it being so slow this time last year. Hmm. How should I view this do you think?

Somebody posted on the main forum that EAs are reporting the market slowing down in general. I'm calling the turning point :) (for what it's worth <_< )

HOLA4421

Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd has bought Eubank's ex's house in Medina Terrace, according to the Argus: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4711083.Pink_Floyd_star_buys_Hove_seafront_mansion/

It looks an impressive building judging by Microsoft's bird's eye view. I wish Google would hurry up and get Streetview finished for B&H so I can get a closer look.

Edited by SE20

HOLA4422

In case there are any London buyers out there perusing this thread to get a feel for the place, Brighton and Hove's suicide rate is the second highest in country after Blackpool!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4711078.Brighton_and_Hove_suicide_rate_is_second_highest_in_country/

:) So how about Horsham, recently voted as one of the 'best places to live in England'? Or coming up St Leonards with its enormo houses and burgeoning Londonite community? Or lovely civilized Chichester with its great state schools and much cheaper houses than Brighton?

Bye bye now!

HOLA4423

Or lovely civilized Chichester with its great state schools and much cheaper houses than Brighton?

Don't listen to him/her London Buyers! Don't come to Chichester! Go to Horsham, or Guildford! ;)

I live near Chichester, and whilst its architecture still has an Elgar's Jerusalem appearance (that may please some), in the past 10 years Labour policies have managed to dress the majority of the population in track suits! (Or should I have pronounced "majori-y").

The schools won't put your children in any decent courses in any decent Uni! See the league tables!

Besides... a town house, in the town centre is for sale for.. wait for it: 1 million pounds!!!

HOLA4424

Don't listen to him/her London Buyers! Don't come to Chichester! Go to Horsham, or Guildford! ;)

I live near Chichester, and whilst its architecture still has an Elgar's Jerusalem appearance (that may please some), in the past 10 years Labour policies have managed to dress the majority of the population in track suits! (Or should I have pronounced "majori-y").

You should come to my area of genteel central Hove. Here we now have numerous track suit types with loud, grating voices. They are putting up electric gates or large wrought iron ones with gold embelishments. The 'loads-a-money' - or huge mortgage- brigade are taking over.

HOLA4425

You should come to my area of genteel central Hove. Here we now have numerous track suit types with loud, grating voices. They are putting up electric gates or large wrought iron ones with gold embelishments. The 'loads-a-money' - or huge mortgage- brigade are taking over.

couldnt happen to a nicer place !

:)