House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheSlump

Rent Increase Of 25% Over Last 4 Years Out Of Line?

I rent an unfurnished 3 bed house in Shropshire, does anyone know if this increase bears any relationship to reality? I'm leaving anyway as I've generally had enough but I can't find any information on rent inflation. Anyone know?

I rent an unfurnished 3 bed house in Shropshire, does anyone know if this increase bears any relationship to reality? I'm leaving anyway as I've generally had enough but I can't find any information on rent inflation. Anyone know?

It depends. Local markets and all that. Over the long haul rents tend to track wages, so 3 - 4% pa compounded is probably about right.

This isn't happening where there is a big supply/demand mismatch -> city centre apartments for example.

Two questions for you -

1) Were you paying 'below market' rent when you moved in, i.e. are you just catching up with the market?

2) Can you get an equivalent property in the same area for significantly less than you are being asked to pay now? I would suggest that to make the hassle and cost of moving worthwhile you will need to get a rent reduction of at least £75/month when you move.

Out of curiosity what part of shropshire are you in?

It depends. Local markets and all that. Over the long haul rents tend to track wages, so 3 - 4% pa compounded is probably about right.

This isn't happening where there is a big supply/demand mismatch -> city centre apartments for example.

Two questions for you -

1) Were you paying 'below market' rent when you moved in, i.e. are you just catching up with the market?

2) Can you get an equivalent property in the same area for significantly less than you are being asked to pay now? I would suggest that to make the hassle and cost of moving worthwhile you will need to get a rent reduction of at least £75/month when you move.

Out of curiosity what part of shropshire are you in?

Thanks for the reply, I'm near Oswestry . The rent started at £400 in 2003 and is now £500 It's difficult to tell from the pricing of other properties without closer examination, quite a lot of 3 bed semis are more expensive, some not so. You can also get quite a lot of detached houses and bungalows for just £50 more but you don't know what condition they're in inside. Also our house is a converted farmhouse divided into two with one of next door's rooms over ours and vice versa, so it's particularilr difficult to make comparison's hence the question.

The house is not in particularily good condition and has been totally neglected by the landlord. I've put up with it since house prices first bubbled thinking it would only be temporary while we packed away enough money for a deposit but things have taken longer than I thought and we can't stand it anymore. Not buying a house though, for reasons clear to most people here, but renting again, even though we loathe it.