House Price Crash Forum

Political Debate Stalled For 6 Months..

HOLA441

You know the script....

Journo: So PM, the economy seems to be going titsup

Gordie: bombs, scary terrorists everywhere.

Journo: And what's this about you being involved in some multi billion PFI scam

Gordie: terrorism, nobody safe,heightened security

HOLA442
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
You know the script....

Journo: So PM, the economy seems to be going titsup

Gordie: bombs, scary terrorists everywhere.

Journo: And what's this about you being involved in some multi billion PFI scam

Gordie: terrorism, nobody safe,heightened security

Indeed.

HOLA443

Well maybe some thing are more important than money. Oh wait, despite claims to the opposite, it is all that matters to us. BTL anyone?

You know this site has hit a low when terrorist threats are spun in this way. I wonder if all the people claiming there was no threat in the early posts on this subject are feeling a little guilty? We like to criticise spin yet there were the HPC regs spinning a serious issue into something that the media has "just invented" as a "distraction". Well it looked pretty fookin real to me...

Some peeps watched to much x-files back in the day me thinks. What use is a house if you've just been blown up?!

Edited by Orbital

HOLA444
Well maybe some thing are more important than money. Oh wait, despite claims to the opposite, it is all that matters to us. BTL anyone?

You know this site has hit a low when terrorist threats are spun in this way. I wonder if all the people claiming there was no threat in the early posts on this subject are feeling a little guilty? We like to criticise spin yet there were the HPC regs spinning a serious issue into something that the media has "just invented" as a "distraction". Well it looked pretty fookin real to me...

Some peeps watched to much x-files back in the day me thinks. What use is a house if you've just been blown up?!

Are you suggesting that politicians have never decided that there are certain "good days to bury bad news?"

It is just a cynical view of politicians capitalising on public fear and ignorance. Nothing more...

HOLA445

You mean Gordon wasn't trying to create a Scottish 911 on Saturday ? If only he hadn't put our 2012 olympic coaches in charge of the training............

HOLA446
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

It's a good place to temporarily store the pieces?

HOLA447

The Scottish must be loving Gordon in power! It is of no coincidence that Scotland is now part of this playing field. What bothers me is 'no intelligence' again! I thought there were 250 groups under surveillance etc, clearly the wrong ones! Again, what good is CCTV?????

How did our state come to be in such a state! I know, let us create an illegal war abroad whilst at home we will have 2 border police for the whole of the Isle, let us make our passports really safe and the checks stringent but allow anyone with an EU passport in no questions asked off the ferry at Holyhead!!

worried now :unsure: Why are we getting so many more attacks that the US?

HOLA448

Why are you scared by 4 blokes in boiler suits who set fire themselves whilst driving their own Jeep into doors too narrow to allow the vehicle through? They didn't have firearms no plastic explosives, clearly had little recon intelligence and achieved no deaths or injuries other than their own. They were accosted by people on the scene and are no in custody awaiting lengthy prison sentences.

Compared to the IRA which killed thousands, mortared 10 Downing Street, leveled several city centres, blew up the Tory party and needed the SAS to even give them even a bloody nose and who today walk free and write books, then, these muppets are the Sesame Street of terrorism.

Q. in which decade did the fewest people die in the UK by the hand of Terrorism?

1960's

1970's

1980's

1990's

2000's

?

You can guess the answer.

When terrorism is a REAL threat the government plays it down. See the early Major years in the early 1990's.

When terrorism is a FAKE threat the government play it up. See now.

ANDY

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I wonder if all the people claiming there was no threat in the early posts on this subject are feeling a little guilty?

Nope, you're still thousands of times more likely to be killed on the roads.

I don't spend time worrying about either.

HOLA4411
Nope, you're still thousands of times more likely to be killed on the roads.

I don't spend time worrying about either.

Am I the only one who thinks Gordie has been playing it down? If Blair was still in, he would be swooning in front of the cameras with his unsufferable wobbly lip routine.

HOLA4412
Am I the only one who thinks Gordie has been playing it down? If Blair was still in, he would be swooning in front of the cameras with his unsufferable wobbly lip routine.

I think that Gordon is being quite shrewd in not considering himself a proficient enough actor.

/EDIT Besides if you tried to play up the 'terrorism' angle of these bungling amateurs too far, even a stony faced politician would probably end up in fits of giggles.

The only 'terror' seen these last few days has been generated by the press.

Edited by lethal

HOLA4413

Actually, I put this down to his "shy and introverted nature", nothing Gordon will say will be of the cuff or spontaneous, all rehearsed, all planned imo. Our security sevices didn't know anything so WTF will 'COBRA' know! I am worried because I think inept people are in charge. :(

What does puzzle me is why did these devices fail? When they went to bomb school don't they get a certificate to say they have passed or something? It is odd that both failed to detonate :unsure: It is this reason why no one died and not the foresight of our protectors. We may not be so fortunate next time :(

What do we do after 'critical' with no intelligence? :(

Edited by me me me

HOLA4414

I disagree, and I suspect the relatives of the victims 07/07 would disagree also.

The trouble with this type of terrorist is that they care little for self preservation which means they can use devices of far less sophistication than the IRA ever used and still have a huge impact.

The bomb outside tiger tiger was extremly fortunate to be found if it were not for a drunken reveller who smacked his head on the floor we could have seen terrible consequences.

The attack at Glasgow was almost comical the sheer incompetence of the whole thing farcial. But to ignore the threat and treat all these people as incompetent will only increase the likelyhood of them being succesful in the future (and IMO I fear they will be).

These crude and basic tactics are used with hideous effcts in Iraq whatever makes you think they will not work on the streets of London?

Why are you scared by 4 blokes in boiler suits who set fire themselves whilst driving their own Jeep into doors too narrow to allow the vehicle through? They didn't have firearms no plastic explosives, clearly had little recon intelligence and achieved no deaths or injuries other than their own. They were accosted by people on the scene and are no in custody awaiting lengthy prison sentences.

Compared to the IRA which killed thousands, mortared 10 Downing Street, leveled several city centres, blew up the Tory party and needed the SAS to even give them even a bloody nose and who today walk free and write books, then, these muppets are the Sesame Street of terrorism.

Q. in which decade did the fewest people die in the UK by the hand of Terrorism?

1960's

1970's

1980's

1990's

2000's

?

You can guess the answer.

When terrorism is a REAL threat the government plays it down. See the early Major years in the early 1990's.

ANDY

HOLA4415

I see from the BBC site that GB is blaming Al Quei'da already.

Is this the same AQ that co-ordinated the 9/11 events??

If so, the War On Terrorism must be working, because they've sunk from that to setting themsleves on fire in a failed bombing attempt :lol::lol:

HOLA4416
These crude and basic tactics are used with hideous effcts in Iraq whatever makes you think they will not work on the streets of London?

Well, so long as they keep believing they can get an reliable explosion out of calor gas and petrol, we should be safe.

We'll just have to tie up and gag every GCSE Chemistry student in the country who would tell them otherwise.

Edited by lethal

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I disagree, and I suspect the relatives of the victims 07/07 would disagree also.

The trouble with this type of terrorist is that they care little for self preservation which means they can use devices of far less sophistication than the IRA ever used and still have a huge impact.

The bomb outside tiger tiger was extremly fortunate to be found if it were not for a drunken reveller who smacked his head on the floor we could have seen terrible consequences.

The attack at Glasgow was almost comical the sheer incompetence of the whole thing farcial. But to ignore the threat and treat all these people as incompetent will only increase the likelyhood of them being succesful in the future (and IMO I fear they will be).

Do you know any relatives or indeed friends of people who died on 7/7? I do. They are as rational and pragmatic as me. Why do you invoke them?

Yes they can use less sophisticated bombs than the IRA. But I'm more scared by sophisticated bombs than dumb ones. The IRA had world class bombs, intelligence and tactics. I'm not so scared by beardy and his backpack.

Putting a car bomb into central London is so stupid, risky and the public so desensitized to it as to draw speculation that the bombers had a retarded intelligence. It certainly is the most difficult, least likely to succeed and lowest impact strategy.

Glasgow was as you say, comical.

Tactics in Iraq are wholly different as they are backed by a State (Iran) and take place in an occupied state close to civil war.

I'm more scared my MRSA than by Al Quaeda.

ANDY

HOLA4419

As I said, the efforts were almost comical but it would be ludicrous to brand these silly f*ckers as no threat.

I think it only a matter of time before one of the serious loony's tries something spectacular and it won't require a great deal of sophistication if they are willing to blow themselves up in the process.

Well, so long as they keep believing they can get an reliable explosion out of calor gas and petrol, we should be safe.

We'll just have to tie up and gag every GCSE Chemistry student in the country who would tell them otherwise.

HOLA4420
As I said, the efforts were almost comical but it would be ludicrous to brand these silly f*ckers as no threat.

I think it only a matter of time before one of the serious loony's tries something spectacular and it won't require a great deal of sophistication if they are willing to blow themselves up in the process.

...and you'd still be hundreds of times more likely to be shot dead in the street.

HOLA4421

This is the point. They didn't work. This is in itself suspicious.

If they were fair dinkum something crude but spectacular would have been done already. 7/7 was necessary to get the British publics attention, now they can have several pissy failures to keep the fear level up with minimal damage.

HOLA4422
Do you know any relatives or indeed friends of people who died on 7/7? I do. They are as rational and pragmatic as me. Why do you invoke them?

Yes they can use less sophisticated bombs than the IRA. But I'm more scared by sophisticated bombs than dumb ones. The IRA had world class bombs, intelligence and tactics. I'm not so scared by beardy and his backpack.

Putting a car bomb into central London is so stupid, risky and the public so desensitized to it as to draw speculation that the bombers had a retarded intelligence. It certainly is the most difficult, least likely to succeed and lowest impact strategy.

Glasgow was as you say, comical.

Tactics in Iraq are wholly different as they are backed by a State (Iran) and take place in an occupied state close to civil war.

I'm more scared my MRSA than by Al Quaeda.

ANDY

I'm with BUPA so Al Qaeda still wins there! :P It may have gone pathetically wrong but how many are in the Jihadi queue?

It is important not to underestimate your enemy right?!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Skint Academic

Well said that man! These terrorists are complete and utterly incompetent muppets. I can think of a hundred ways in which they could cause serious harm and panic. But no, they run a burning chelsea tractor into an airport terminal and then get into a fist fight. As my partner suggested, it was probably just a couple of Glaswegians out on the p1ss.

Does anyone actually get worried about this terrorism on a daily basis? As far as I can tell it's only the media that play it up for commerical reasons and the government for their own political ends.

HOLA4425
Well said that man! These terrorists are complete and utterly incompetent muppets. I can think of a hundred ways in which they could cause serious harm and panic. But no, they run a burning chelsea tractor into an airport terminal and then get into a fist fight. As my partner suggested, it was probably just a couple of Glaswegians out on the p1ss.

Does anyone actually get worried about this terrorism on a daily basis? As far as I can tell it's only the media that play it up for commerical reasons and the government for their own political ends.

I'm not sure even the government are playing this one up. Gordon seems positively bored by it all. The 24 hour news services are creaming themselves though.