House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oracle

Anecdotal From Your Local

OK.

I've just been to the pub!!!!

what a strange experience!!!!!..the regulars aren't there!!!!!

There was a grand total of NINE customers(including me!!),if this is a harbinger of things to come,then woe betide anyone working in the leisure industry.If this carries on,my local will be cutting back on bar staff for sure.

What's happening where you live???

PS I smoke!!...the place smelt nice,but I think there will be severe consequences for those employed in this field.

I'd be really interested to know what's going on.

forget the spin and "perception management"....the coal face is where it's at.

If you notice a difference in trade at your drinking/eating establishment,then this is cast-iron proof that people's livelihoods will be affected for better/worse.

let's tell it like it is.

Went out for a 'Smoke-In" last night at country pub. Was Blitz like atmosphere. Won't the smokers just go outside?

Why would they go outside to smoke when they can just buy some beer and drink at home instead?

IMHO this idiotic smoking ban is as much intended to destroy the British pub as to stop people smoking. I doubt there are millions of people who would have gone out drinking but were put off by the fact that people smoked in pubs.

We can look at other countries who have already done this, to see what happened there. What normally happens in the first few weeks business drops off remarkably as smokers boycott the pub. Then smokers decide drinking at home all the time is boring. Hence they go back to pub, smoke outside. Volume of people going to pub returns to near normal. The amount of people who give up rises a little. And I imagine outdoor gas heaters sales will go up. This winter people can stand underneath them and discuss how house prices are falling, and who'd of thought it?

I'm drinking at home after busting me knee in a cycling accident :(

But it should be great not having to inhale the clouds of smoke when I stand at the bar once I'm fit. It makes my eyes water at times.

Why would they go outside to smoke when they can just buy some beer and drink at home instead?

IMHO this idiotic smoking ban is as much intended to destroy the British pub as to stop people smoking. I doubt there are millions of people who would have gone out drinking but were put off by the fact that people smoked in pubs.

I have already written a post on this.

I put forward some concerns on the effect this may have on domestic violence,and also the additional fire risk from drunken smokers at home,being in a place that is less likely to be alert to an alight fag.

at least when drunken smokers are in the same place,someone will spot a ciggie-bin that's spouting smoke/flames.At home,a drunk smoker who's fallen asleep on the sofa will not be wise to the danger,neither will his family.

THIS BAN IS DANGEROUS.

I smoke outside as a rule anyway,but there are people who choose not to.

If the powers that be were really that concerned about lawsuits,they could have quite easily applied a disclaimer in the contract of employment.

..stating...OK,you know people are going to smoke here,the company won't be held liable for any medical expenses incurred due to working in a smoke filled room.You do so at your own risk....signed..........xxxxxx

We can look at other countries who have already done this, to see what happened there. What normally happens in the first few weeks business drops off remarkably as smokers boycott the pub. Then smokers decide drinking at home all the time is boring. Hence they go back to pub, smoke outside. Volume of people going to pub returns to near normal. The amount of people who give up rises a little. And I imagine outdoor gas heaters sales will go up. This winter people can stand underneath them and discuss how house prices are falling, and who'd of thought it?

I hope so, the Exchequer can't afford to lose the revenue from smoking and drinking anyway.

I don't know why they play these silly games to be honest. There'd be 10 billion a year to find if everyone gave up smoking tommorrow.

[i gave up about 6 months ago out of spite basically, I recommend this as an excellent motivator]

The pubs will all just smell of dodgy aftershave and stale farts instead.

During the summer I expect things to be ok as people can smoke outside. It'll will be interesting come winter though

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
OK.

I've just been to the pub!!!!

what a strange experience!!!!!..the regulars aren't there!!!!!

There was a grand total of NINE customers(including me!!),if this is a harbinger of things to come,then woe betide anyone working in the leisure industry.If this carries on,my local will be cutting back on bar staff for sure.

What's happening where you live???

PS I smoke!!...the place smelt nice,but I think there will be severe consequences for those employed in this field.

As a cigar smoking GP, I will continue to smoke in bed.

I hope so, the Exchequer can't afford to lose the revenue from smoking and drinking anyway.

I don't know why they play these silly games to be honest. There'd be 10 billion a year to find if everyone gave up smoking tommorrow.

[i gave up about 6 months ago out of spite basically, I recommend this as an excellent motivator]

...OOOOH THAT'S A GOOD ONE!!!!!

SALES OF PATIO HEATERS GO UP.

So WHY are those upon high preaching about global warming and carbon-footprints trying to stub out smoking(which is carbon-neutral), when they are activeley seeking new means to make matters worse??

On the local news they had a Blackpool pub landlord who refused to implement he ban.

IMO, he made a right fool of himself, kept repeating 'I wouldn't put a dog outside in this weather let alone a human' ..Duh..aren't they allowed a basic shelter?

He had no reply for the rights of his non-smoking staff not to be poisoned by passive smoking.

Bizzarely, he said no one had ever died of passive smoking & when Roy Castle was mentioned as an example, said that it was a Government conspiracy :lol:

....C'mon lads, we're British, we're not taking it, let's have some of that Dunhill spirit.

Popped into the local today, don't smoke but don't want it banned in pubs. Anyway, it was empty. Usually packed on a Sunday afternoon, but I think there were 5 people in total. Landlord reckons he's ruined and based on today his takings are going to be about 1/5th of what they were before the ban.

Bollix to them. I've just started growing my own tobacco (now entirely viable, and legal, in this country thanks to global warming- Ha!). Won't help beat the ban but they can stick their duty up their collective aris.

Given the mass of CO2 belching patio heaters being installed - the landlord of my local has already got 4 - this is not going to be "carbon-neutral". Good.

Think about all the bureaucracy and cost this legislation has generated - the army of enforcement officers for one (plain clothes of course). Just to stop you having a fag and a pint. There's been about 150 studies into passive smoking and 30 have claimed a link. Even if there is a risk it's miniscule anyway. It's a totally disproportionate and vindictive measure.

There will be a lot of smug people around today but just wait till the Government start banning things they enjoy doing.

He had no reply for the rights of his non-smoking staff not to be poisoned by passive smoking.

If you don't like it, don't work there.

Bizzarely, he said no one had ever died of passive smoking & when Roy Castle was mentioned as an example, said that it was a Government conspiracy

You have some proof that he died from 'passive smoking'? Ah, he got lung cancer, which we know is only ever caused by smoking, right?

I have already written a post on this.

I put forward some concerns on the effect this may have on domestic violence,and also the additional fire risk from drunken smokers at home,being in a place that is less likely to be alert to an alight fag.

at least when drunken smokers are in the same place,someone will spot a ciggie-bin that's spouting smoke/flames.At home,a drunk smoker who's fallen asleep on the sofa will not be wise to the danger,neither will his family.

THIS BAN IS DANGEROUS.

I smoke outside as a rule anyway,but there are people who choose not to.

What a load of bol locks. This sounds like the bottom of the barrel being scraped for reasons why the ban is wrong.

Truth is smoking is one stupid way of relieving yourself of money and health. People who smoke look ill, and smell crap.

I love the way people go on about their human rights being taken away from them by not being allowed to smoke. Wake up to yourself, the tobacco industry and the tax department have you by the balls and you willingly put yourself there. I've never met anyone who smoked who didnt want to give up or loved smoking. its shite and most people who smoke know it too. They are simply big tobbaccos cash cow.

Whoever invented smoking must be laughing their **** off. ' get people to do something they dont like and give a sh1t load of money for the experience'

I was in Ireland when they bought the smoking ban in and it was great.. The pub became a pleasant place to be. Your throat lungs and eyes didnt hurt, and you didnt smell like a gipsys camp site the next day. The pub industry didnt collapse or even suffer. Many publicans had a moan, but hardly surprising when the moans were followed with their hand out for some sort of tax break compensation claim.

Stop smoking and dont be under the thumb of anyone or anything thing. You will be mighty pleased with yourself after a year. It is also very easy to do. All you have to do is just STOP.

p.s I should know. ..............Ex smoker....venomous anti smokers......holier than thou.....etc etc.

On the local news they had a Blackpool pub landlord who refused to implement he ban.

IMO, he made a right fool of himself, kept repeating 'I wouldn't put a dog outside in this weather let alone a human' ..Duh..aren't they allowed a basic shelter?

Bizzarely, he said no one had ever died of passive smoking & when Roy Castle was mentioned as an example, said that it was a Government conspiracy :lol:

....C'mon lads, we're British, we're not taking it, let's have some of that Dunhill spirit.

You might have a point here!!!!!

it sounds bizarre,but although smokers intentionally subject themselves to health risks,do they not incur additional risks of disease if left in the wet and cold???

surely this contravenes some UN legislation....on the right to health.....yes I know us smokers destroy ourselves,but it is a matter of choice.....No objections to people not wanting to participate in our5 self-destruction,but there are better ways of doing it that the current law.

If we can't do it by british law,or EU human rights blurb,lets look at the UN legislation(we are signatories to most of it,so such acts will be deemed lawful)....under public health.If us smokers are now more likely to contract bird-flu or anything airborne as a result of smoking outside,then we have a duty to keep our disease-ridden bodies in quarantine...or a smoking area!!

Truth is smoking is one stupid way of relieving yourself of money and health. People who smoke look ill, and smell crap.

Indeed. But so what?

I love the way people go on about their human rights being taken away from them by not being allowed to smoke.

In what way is banning smoking not taking rights away? What's so awful about letting pub owners choose whether or not to allow people to smoke in pubs, so those who don't want to smoke can choose to go to non-smoking pubs? Why shouldn't both be allowed to do what they want to do?

If you think the Health Nazis won't be attacking drinking next, you're deluding yourself. They won't be happy until we're all living in padded cells on water and organic wholemeal bread.

Guest X-QUORK

Lol...listen to the smokers bleat! Personally I'm looking forward to going down to the pub and not smelling like an ashtray when I get home afterwards.

I know friends who are more likely to go out now that smoking is banned.

Didn't seem to have hurt Ireland much.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I know friends who are more likely to go out now that smoking is banned.

Didn't seem to have hurt Ireland much.

Of course not, there's still drink to be had.