House Price Crash Forum

Build More Homes !

HOLA441

I might've mentioned before that I have an interest in a small home building company (which none of you beary guys like - even though they add SUPPLY to the market).

So I'd quite like that company to build loads and loads of homes. But how possible is this?

We're apparantly facing a big energy crisis in the near future (ie right now in planning terms), with not enough leccy to go round, same with water.

So even if the Govt relaxed planning restrictions, green belt etc, even if they forced builders to build, there would be a limit to what is possible.

Thats why Gordy is banging on about zero carbon footprints and green towns isn't it? Its because any massive increase in normal house building will strain the leccy and water plants to breaking point.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Makes no difference.

In Spain salaries to average prices are even worse than the UK and they churn out 800k homes a year.

Unless the banks and speculators are reigned in you can build as much as you like and the problem will remain the same.

I agree that "weight of money" is pushing prices. But I dont see huge swathes of unused or empty housing in the UK. Whatever is built is being used.

I don't think speculators can make money from empty housing (a few can - but only if they are in such small numbers that no one notices them and their empty properties).

So I think that in the UK there is a genuine supply and demand problem.

I was in Spain recently and saw no sign of massive unnoccupancy or any price decreases in the areas I visited (Puerto Banus and Barcelona).

Prices in Barcelona were high, and in Puerto Banus preposterous.

On the other hand there are "bargains" to be had in some of the huge new developments that are spreading out into the interior of Spain - "Near a new golf course and only a short drive to the beach". I would think some of these areas in Spain are very vulnerable right now. But thats just me.

HOLA444
I might've mentioned before that I have an interest in a small home building company (which none of you beary guys like - even though they add SUPPLY to the market).

Why would anyone have a problem with you building houses?

The problem I do have with the larger house building companies is that they artificially inflate house prices through builder's deposits, cash back, shared ownership schemes, reduced rate mortgages etc

Just build 'em and sell 'em at a fair price is all I ask.

HOLA445
HOLA446
The people who inflate house prices are those that buy them, and those that finance them, and at the end of the day, those that are responsible for flooding the economy by printing money.

I agree, but this also includes organisations that facilitate the purchase of a house with an inflated value.

HOLA447
I agree that "weight of money" is pushing prices. But I dont see huge swathes of unused or empty housing in the UK. Whatever is built is being used.

There's a lot of empty new builds and second homes around.