House Price Crash Forum

2007 To Date, What Have You Been Talking About?

HOLA441

Not sure anyone has noticed but, I haven't been present on HPC for the past six months (I've been busy).

Can anyone briefly post what generally, if anything has been discussed in my absence?

Bearing in mind I'm not really interested in hearing about landlords, estate agents or tabloid headlines.

Stick to financial markets, the liquidity glut, global imbalances, risk appreciation etc...

Or has the site resorted to discussing "I overhead a man in the corner shop; sign of the times" rubbish.

Has the overall quality of debate improved, remained the same, or deteriorated?

HOLA442

money supply, globalisation, Ireland/Us/Spain falls, , London prices, rising inflation, leading indicators (BOE approvals/stock values)

Quality has deteriorated, less factual/statistical topics and more anecdotes

Edited by moosetea

HOLA443
Not sure anyone has noticed but, I haven't been present on HPC for the past six months (I've been busy).

Can anyone briefly post what generally, if anything has been discussed in my absence?

Bearing in mind I'm not really interested in hearing about landlords, estate agents or tabloid headlines.

Stick to financial markets, the liquidity glut, global imbalances, risk appreciation etc...

Or has the site resorted to discussing "I overhead a man in the corner shop; sign of the times" rubbish.

What are we, your servants? Read back through the threads, lazy bones!

B)

HOLA444

you missed the crash starting in q107 apparently

not suprising really, I've been here most days and I managed to miss it also ;)

HOLA445
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
What are we, your servants? Read back through the threads, lazy bones!

B)

I will not be a post summarising serf for the lazy elite!

HOLA446

more or less the same, allowing for the perhaps premature hubris as the shifting sands take on an ursine shape.

Although you might be being a touch unfair about the value of anecdotal evidence, I think. We have had talk aplenty on the highminded stuff too, which I very much enjoy.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Fair bit of recent discussion re: the credit ratings agencies about to be forced to downgrade CDO/MBS, resulting in the dumping of toxic wate by pension funds who are only allowed to invest in AAA stuff.

That's more like it.

They will not downgrade based on forecasts mind. The credit ratings will only deteriorate following recorded rises in the default rates.

Which I think is widely acknowledged as pending.

HOLA4410
That's more like it.

They will not downgrade based on forecasts mind. The credit ratings will only deteriorate following recorded rises in the default rates.

Which I think is widely acknowledged as pending.

Or even after the default rates have rocketed !!!!!!!

Don't excect any flags to be raised by the ratings agencies, they are waiting for a bailout/miracle to savetheir hides.

Seen a US post suggest that subprime default rate is 14.4% and AltA 4.5%.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

People have discussed lots of detailed reasons and economic statistics and decided prices are crashing. But there hasnt been any crashing. Actually, prices are growing as fast as ever. People are confused.

We all still dislike HPI though :)

HOLA4413
Guest grumpy-old-man

I have a feeling you have been watching but not posting. ;)

hey, nothing wrong with anecdotal, as long as you trust the source. :P I get your point though, I suppose it needs to be factual really on an internet board, & I am one of the main culprits for anecdotal.

You were indeed a very well informed poster & I used to enjoy reading your posts, if fact someone was just asking about you the other day.

your post comes across a bit blasé though.

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I have a feeling you have been watching but not posting. ;)

someone was just asking about you the other day.

twas me, on one of the bear stearns threads. I remembered that ?...! had gone to extensive lengths to explain MBS's and finished one post by saying that "there will be a crash, but not until MBS's become unprofitable" (or words to that effect).

HOLA4416
Guest grumpy-old-man
twas me, on one of the bear stearns threads. I remembered that ?...! had gone to extensive lengths to explain MBS's and finished one post by saying that "there will be a crash, but not until MBS's become unprofitable" (or words to that effect).

it was indeed, I remember now.

questionmarkdotdotdotexclamationmark phew, no wonder you summerise your username ;)

now, to answer your question about too much frivolity on this website.......hey, just kidding. I think it's important though to have a sense of humour.

There are some very good debaits on here with some very knowlegable posters (of which I am not one :( ), but I'm getting there, another 2 crashes should do it.

nice to see you back anyway.

HOLA4417