House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dnd

Conversations Overheard Today In Dentist

just popped out to the dentist for a follow up @ 12 today - sat in the waiting room - overheard the receptionists talking

iirc one had gone bankrupt recently and was talking about the process and what had happened...

Edited by dnd

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Did she end with "so that's all cleared up, now I've got a new 10x salary mortgage, 5 credit cards and a BMW on credit. Oh, and we're off to the Maldives next week."

;)

Haha

"I've had to go on the game and everythink"

Did she end with "so that's all cleared up, now I've got a new 10x salary mortgage, 5 credit cards and a BMW on credit. Oh, and we're off to the Maldives next week."

;)

yep, iirc she said she had approached a number of banks for a 'loan' and was turned down

the other receptionist asked - 'have you tried them all?'

i was so nervous in the beginning, but they made it so easy. I just had to sign some forms. They even offered me tea and biscuits! There were many other people there so it wasnt just me. I get to keep my house, and car too and the nice lady said i would be discharged in a few years. I just can't fly out to spain every three months, and i ll have to start doing my own nails which is a shame :rolleyes:

nails.jpg

Edited by notanewmember

i was so nervous in the beginning, but they made it so easy. I just had to sign some forms. They even offered me tea and biscuits! There were many other people there so it wasnt just me. I get to keep my house, and car too and the nice lady said i would be discharged in a few years. I just can't fly out to spain every three months, and i ll have to start doing my own nails which is a shame :rolleyes:

But seriously.... that IS it these days isn't it. If you decalre bankruptcy, you're just unable to get a loan for a few years, have no credit rating and have to have a special bank account don't you? Then all is fine and you can start racking the debt up again. :(

But seriously.... that IS it these days isn't it. If you decalre bankruptcy, you're just unable to get a loan for a few years, have no credit rating and have to have a special bank account don't you? Then all is fine and you can start racking the debt up again. :(

It's the "enterprise" culture, you see. Don't worry though, when the banks start to see their profits drain away when this snowballs, they'll lobby hard for the laws to be changed.

That's about the size of it. Unless you belong to a regulated profession that takes a dim view of bankruptcy. IIRC Solicitors can't practice if made bankrupt but Barristers can! Go figure.

You can't be a company director etc.

There are various things it does effect but nothing to worry the average punter.

Edited by Solvent Celt

Yep, going insolvent or bankrupt is no longer considered a social stigma.

In fact, it is creating a whole new economic sector for all social classes - have you noticed the regular ads from IVA providers in the Independent and Guardian?

With at least 150,000 people set to go into IVA or bankrupt in 2007, the future is bright for the debt reduction/write-off industry.

Just read some of the posts on the link below. I was surprised to learn that some IVA'ers have managed to get 75% of their debt written off !!

Welcome to Brown's Britain - YES THINGS CAN CHANGE

http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=75

That's about the size of it. Unless you belong to a regulated profession that takes a dim view of bankruptcy. IIRC Solicitors can't practice if made bankrupt but Barristers can! Go figure.

Barristers don't handle clients' cash, hence the distinction. Company directors likewise handle other people's money (shareholders).

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

There are various things it does effect but nothing to worry the average punter.

The legal profession are generally morally bankrupt anyway, financial bankruptcy is just an extension of their life skills. ;)

Guest X-QUORK

Bankruptcy is the new bling, before long it will hold as much kudos as getting an ASBO or being tagged. Except it won't be restricted to chavvy Yoot, the Rosie Millards of this world will revel in the feeling that they were made bankrupt months for Zoe and Nigel.

Yep, going insolvent or bankrupt is no longer considered a social stigma.

With at least 150,000 people set to go into IVA or bankrupt in 2007, the future is bright for the debt reduction/write-off industry.

Just read some of the posts on the link below. I was surprised to learn that some IVA'ers have managed to get 75% of their debt written off !!

http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=75

And still keep the house..?

whats the point of this thread? 1000s go bankrupt every month. Even in good times!

it'd be even higher without iva's

whats the point of this thread? 1000s go bankrupt every month. Even in good times!

Congratulations Orbital ....................first post i've seen you write without you banging on about how affordable your mortgage is for the house you bought last year :rolleyes: