House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dude wheres my house

In A Credit Crunch

I've just sold my house, investments etc. and am going through the same thought process.

I think I'm going to put most in a very short term treasury bond. The yield is 5.8% which isn't too bad I think for risk free.

I'm still not even getting true inflation I know but I can't see value anywhere.

Also keeping some in cash and some in a gold stock.

Credit crunch is deflationary. Are you deciding this is the most likely future?

Why for example wont new loans be created to bail out these shiny suited hedge fund w*nkers??

Credit crunch is deflationary. Are you deciding this is the most likely future?

Why for example wont new loans be created to bail out these shiny suited hedge fund w*nkers??

Invest in luxury mansions in tropical island paradises with lax tax laws and no extradition treaties with the UK or US. I have a feeling they'll be in high demand very soon! :lol::rolleyes::P

The Inflation/Deflation debate continues unabated on many sites.

I don't know which way we'll go but it will be a political decision.

I'll stick with cash for now. Property is too illiquid.

Wise bear, have you determined events or triggers that in your mind will indicate the future path (inf/defl) ?

For example if things get shakey and BOE drops IR's again, l am SO out of cash.

Wise bear, have you determined events or triggers that in your mind will indicate the future path (inf/defl) ?

if they drop the IRs, I'm out of cash too. Alternative energy or something like that. I might actually leverage through food companies, weapons makers and private police.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Gold will shine bright.

I'm still more partial to Piastres De Commerce D'Indochine myself.

Anyone else thinking this is beginning to look bad?

Excellent shall we turn another thread into global economic meltdown? I'm in.

Personally i think we are headed for the mother of all depressions - it is difficult to find anybody else as pessimistic as me unless you include Goldfinger of course.

In 5 years time people will be more concerned about whether they will have enough food to eat than how much they have made on their property this year...........

F :)

maybe I should think about buying a generator which works with sunflower oil, plant sunflowers, install solar panels and live off the land. all I need is the following:

5 hens = 1000 eggs per year

2 rabbits = 100kg of meat per year

1 goat = 1 liter of milk a day

plant vegetables in my field and use them as staple of diet

cut wood for heating (I have a few acres of wood so no problem there)

replant the vineyard = 1000 liters of wine per year

my grand parents lived this way, they had a good life.

after that, who cares about the money and the bloody property market?

The inflation/deflation debate has lots of very knowledgeable people on both sides.

I’m quite happy to admit that despite extensive reading and research that I do not know the answer. I am confident however that we will eventually be taken down one of these paths simply because our current path is increasingly unstable.

Long term I’m not happy with cash because even if the economy remains “normal” its purchasing power will continues erode.

At the end of the day I know I’m never going to be rich, I just want to keep what little I have and protect my family but everything today seems so totally corrupt.

I can feel myself going into one of my rants so I’ll stop right here.

Cash & gold for now.

Wait to see how the government deals with the HPC.

Then commodities if we hyper inflate.

And whats the best way/company to do this

It's somewhat easier to work out where not to stick it and by process of elimination see what's left once you've done that. Stay away from anything on the high street/retailing (except food), banking, construction, housing related (eg B & Q, MFI) , leisure. Tesco looks a good bet in the long run, i'd expect them to buy into the banking sector once it hits rock bottom (tho' not at a premium more in a firesale style Northern Rock and B & B ), they're sticking their toes in the water now and they'll want a high street presence for the NEXT TIME. Other than that you should have a look at where the money went during the last recession and tailor your strategy depending on whether you think this time it will be better :lol: or worse than the last time. You might want to start saving as there will be a good few unfortunate souls looking to offload their expensive to maintain and rapidly dropping in value main assets don't be tempted to buy from them, once the banks are selling them is a good time to buy.

maybe I should think about buying a generator which works with sunflower oil, plant sunflowers, install solar panels and live off the land. all I need is the following:

What a lovely idea... Get a green house too, tomato plants have a high yield and it can help protect seedlings against the vagaries of the English weather (looks out of window) Oh and pigs are good value too, you can convert all those potato peelings and other veg waste into high grade protein. Not for the squeemish though.

Sadly, I only fear for your livestock and vegetables when you have several million people spilling out from the cities desparate for something to eat :(

Edited by sossij

2 rabbits = 100kg of meat per year1 goat = 1 liter of milk a day

Presumably you have to have one of each sex for that (or very big rabbits)!

what are these fed with?

Cash, Bonds bought before interest rates go down as the deflationary domino effect start to unwind all the credit/M3 (some gold bugs mistake M3 for true inflation), with an eye on the trend for gold.

Edited by carseller