House Price Crash Forum
Sledgehead

Bbc Question Time: Housing Minister On Panel.

... and Dimbleby shut it down before the Housing Minister, Yvette Cooper was even given a chance to answer.

Absolutely amazing.

"A question for another day" as he put it. Okay, so it was off-topic, but when will this "other day" arrive. Are we really to believe that in the last 3 years not a songle person has raised the topic of housing through the regular channels?

Meanwhile Dimbleby is moonlighting as the presenter the BBC series, How We Built Britain, in which he explores the chronological history of British architecture by visiting a region of Britain and its historic buildings each week. If you are lucky you might be able to snap up a victorian town house and buy into the dream he peddles. Otherwise ****** off and keep your ******ing housing problems off his Question Time show.

Rant over.

Oooh, wait a mo, a question on flooding has brought up housing again. Quick Dimbles, steer it away: too late Yvette Cooper has already said the majority of our city housing is built on flood planes! Wonder if the environment agency's flood warning servers will be able to take the strain given the dire outlook for the weekend's weather! :lol:

- update: just checked the evironment agency's flood site : can't connect. Is it just me?

Try it : http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/flood/

Edited by Sledgehead

Sledgehead Posted Today, 11:18 PM

... and Dimbleby shut it down before the Housing Minister, Yvette Cooper was even given a chance to answer.

Absolutely amazing.

"A question for another day" as he put it. Okay, so it was off-topic, but when will this "other day" arrive. Are we really to believe that in the last 3 years not a songle person has raised the topic of housing through the regular channels?

Meanwhile Dimbleby is moonlighting as the presenter the BBC series, How We Built Britain, in which he explores the chronological history of British architecture by visiting a region of Britain and its historic buildings each week. If you are lucky you might be able to snap up a victorian town house and buy into the dream he peddles. Otherwise ****** off and keep your ******ing housing problems off his Question Time show.

Rant over.

Sledge, I saw this and was absolutely amazed. Never have I seen Dimbleby so flustered and try to quash a question so quickly and unconvincingly. It is as if HOUSING will never be part of the Question Time agenda.

I absolutely HATE Yvette Cooper!

I felt she was constantly trying to divert from the fact that many new-builds are currently being built on flood plains (despite strong advice against this from the environmental agencies) by saying that a lot of housing was already built on flood plains - a transparently useless 'argument' from her.

Not impressed. :angry:

Sledge, I saw this and was absolutely amazed. Never have I seen Dimbleby so flustered and try to quash a question so quickly and unconvincingly. It is as if HOUSING will never be part of the Question Time agenda.

EXACTLY how I felt, and why I was so quick to post this. Try to stick you 5 eggs on the post prog discussion, which purportedly will be answered by Yvette Cooper, Housing Minister : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/ques...ime/1858160.stm

Well at least Housing has been given Cabinet minister status so that is something I suppose. And Mrs Balls is the wife of Ed who is the real deputy prime minister to Gordon Brown.

Of course we also have the Miliband clones - a government of who you're related too seems to be the order of the day!

.... And Mrs Balls is the wife of Ed who is the real deputy prime minister to Gordon Brown.

Of course we also have the Miliband clones - a government of who you're related too seems to be the order of the day!

We're slowly working towards a "democracy" based loosely on the Saudi model :P

Edited by Sledgehead

I felt she was constantly trying to divert from the fact that many new-builds are currently being built on flood plains (despite strong advice against this from the environmental agencies) by saying that a lot of housing was already built on flood plains - a transparently useless 'argument' from her.

Not impressed. :angry:

......she would not have survived a school debate......poor chairing.....

Well at least Housing has been given Cabinet minister status so that is something I suppose. And Mrs Balls is the wife of Ed who is the real deputy prime minister to Gordon Brown.

I noticed that as well, FWIW and for better or worse, I think Gordo is damn serious about his housing plans.

The thing to remember here is that Blair thought housing was a boring subject, he wanted to be hopping on and off planes rushing around saving the world. But for Gordon, who wrote a PhD thesis on the pre-war Labour party, I think there is a good chance he considers housing as probably the sexiest subject around. Politicians, like Warren Buffet, only really care about stuff they can understand on a basic level. You may ask me to explain why he hasn't really looked like this in the past, scarily I think the answer is he doesn't really see it as related to economics as such, I think his inclination might be to see it as more of a societal issue ripe to be solved through a bit of the old central planning rather than the markets.

So I think we all need to keep an eye on what he says about housing policy from now on, there is intent there now, although they may yet be frustrated by events obviously.

Mention of pre-war Labour leads me to note some alarming parallels esp. this idea of offering liberals and tory turncoats positions in government and the possible requirement to cut spending as the American economy ails before our eyes. One party government...does that remind you of anything? Try "National Government". This has all happened before with a dour and somewhat unpopular Labour leader from north of the border at the helm and it didn't go well then either. Gordon Brown = Ramsay MacDonald: Redux?

All wild speculation of course :rolleyes:

Guest muttley
What do you expect of Ed Balls' missus!!!!

She should double-barrell her name.

Yvette Ballscooper.

We're all knackered.

And the opportunity to get the HPC perspective aired on the BBC can be found here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=50032

The more of us who contact the BBC 2 production team, and indeed collectively, the more chance there is that our views, thoughts, experiences, arguments and analysis will be represented in the series to be shown in the autumn. Or we can let them rely solely on the 'experts' that they usually rely on - and we know who they are.

It really would be a shame to waste this opportunity.

This is a strong word but I agree with the sentiment. She was discussing closing Grammar schools last month but yet she has risen to her lofty position after attending a Grammar school. Do not bite the hand that educated you.

Yes I watched QT last night and thought the housing question was treated disgracefully.

Just to make it a bit easier, here is the link to the BBC 2 series that I was going on about above:

BBC 2, in the Autumn, will be running a new series entitled - The Truth About Property. They are seeking potential contributors to the series/programmes. See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/6242142.stm

This could be a fantastic oportunity for HPC, PricedOut, GEI et al and individuals from here and the other sites to make sure that our views, arguments, and interests are represented rather than allowing Estate Agents, mortgage lenders, BTLers, property developers and building companies to use it as yet another extended advertisment for their interests in keeping property prices high and rising. So how about it?

Didn't see look just like that Ruth Kelly last night?

It's almost as if they're cloning them - the Millibands...

(And has he really got no deputy? Who runs the country if he's ill or away?)

Maybe they're all robots these days?

Guest Cletus VanDamme

I've said it before and I'll say it again: house prices will never be discussed on Question Time, not as long as Dimbleby is chairing it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: house prices will never be discussed on Question Time, not as long as Dimbleby is chairing it.

Remind me again why..for the slow of wit, thanks.

Furthermore, this was an opportunity for someone on the panel to lambast Dimbullpie for deciding what can and cannot be discussed," it needs 10 minutes" he said! Well, give it 10 minutes then you ted. 10 minutes, 1.3 trillion debt, it is laughable. If anyone had any sense in the audience they would have asked the question again and again and again[Commodus style] until someone answered it. I am GOBSMACKED :angry:

Ruth and Yvette's ears are uncannily similar :lol:

Edited by me me me

Could it possibly be because he's a wealthy boomer whose kids are alright jack?

Sorry that would cover disinterest but not wilful avoidance.

Guest Cletus VanDamme
Remind me again why..for the slow of wit, thanks.

Firstly because the bigwigs at the Beeb do not want to upset the applecart (and the sheeple), nor the values of their BTL portfolios; second, the Beeb itself has a large property portfolio (not residential); third, because Dimbleby thinks falling house prices is a bad thing (interview with Michael Howard in 1992):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/otr/intext92-93/Howard29.11.92.html

DIMBLEBY: At the moment, you well know people in

the South and South-East especially are having terrible trouble because of the

fall in value of their properties. You would not dissent from the view that

the impact of the Council Tax on property prices in the South-East is likely to

be depressive.

Edited by Cletus VanDamme