House Price Crash Forum
Badger

Flood Hit Couple 'want To Sell'

You might think that appearing on the BBC site saying that your house has been flooded twice in ten years and it's time to 'cut your losses' would be a bad move when you are trying to sell.

But then I guess if they were smart they wouldn't have bought the place.

These poor people want to sell up as they've been flooded before :o Bunny drowned in his hutch to cap it all :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_y...ire/6248546.stm

Probably not the best idea to plaster their ugly mugs on national news then...

"Didn't I see you on TV once? Something to do with water and little bunnies..... now what was it...... oh well, £500k you say? SOLD!"

You might think that appearing on the BBC site saying that your house has been flooded twice in ten years and it's time to 'cut your losses' would be a bad move when you are trying to sell.

But then I guess if they were smart they wouldn't have bought the place.

Though I hear there is a high demand for the Costa Del Rotherham riviera. Hourly ferries to Sheffield :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by joey

Though I hear there is a high demand for the Costa Del Rotherham riviera. Hourly ferries to Sheffield :lol::lol::lol:

Sheffield? Shefsea

I saw that...still they've lived there a couple of years...I wonder how much the value of the property has increased in that time.

????????

I'd say it's gone down in value if it's prone to floods! The same will probably happen to a lot of houses after this week - I wonder how many sales will fall through as a result of these floods...

????????

I'd say it's gone down in value if it's prone to floods! The same will probably happen to a lot of houses after this week - I wonder how many sales will fall through as a result of these floods...

sorry - I was being Ironic :rolleyes:

The crockery had been stained brown by the water.....ehhh wash it?

I thought that. Also floods are not entirely unexpected and you would have thought second time round they could have got a lot more stuff upstairs (assuming they don't live in a bungalow).

You can probably survive life on the flood plain if you buy decent kit (even if it means mewing for it).

http://www.floodcontrol.co.uk/flood-guard.htm

With credit tightening, I wonder if they'll even be able to get a mortgage to buy it if flooding is this common? Or insurance, for that matter.

some flood measures work - i suspect if the waters went up to 5 feet - the water starts comming up from the ground and floor boards because the under ground water table is full.

the best measure is to live on a hill and away from rivers though

Edited by notanewmember

Joking aside, builders made millions building houses on the flood plains - taxpayers will pick up the bill for the clean up and flood defences.

Same with insurance. Those who haven't been flooded will see premiums rise to help pay for those who were flooded and insured.

Is that normal?

When I used to commute between Droitwich and Malvern I got used to the disprution

of Worcester flooding regularly due to the Severn bursting its bank. However this was in winter.

Floods like this in summer are highly unusual, and the local farmers are really going to suffer.

sorry - I was being Ironic :rolleyes:

Sorry, my fault for being so slow!

:lol:

With credit tightening, I wonder if they'll even be able to get a mortgage to buy it if flooding is this common? Or insurance, for that matter.

Good point.

It would probably be a requirement of the mortgage that they had building insurance. But most people don't try to get it until very close to completion: I wonder whether they would find out the house was uninsurable in time to pull out? Eek.

????????

I noticed quite a few properties earlier this year coming up for sale that had been bought for knock down prices just after the last serious floods and had very obviously been refurbed since. Places like York, Worcester and Shrewsbury in particular.

I routinely go to the environent agency website now when looking at any property and type in the postcode into the Flood Map box (top right). If the property is either in the light or dark blue areas or even on the edge of them I avoid.

I astrongly advise everyone to do the same: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/flood/?lang=_e

I lived close to the River Ouse out on the country near York and all I can say when the water came over the banks the speed of the current and the noise was utterly terrifying. It is not like standing near the sea - it does not have waves it is like a train coming at you. It can knock down houses.

EDITED: Environement Agency web address included.

Edited by Wad

i m surprised that home owners are not lobbying their MPs to have that environmental website shut down as it can bring down houseprices or make their houses unsellable.

Surely they would be better off lobbying for compensation from the councils and developers who build on flood plains or areas at risk of flooding to start with. How moral is it to sell a property on knowing full well it may be flooded on a recurring basis, to someone who may otherwise (via a website) be able to choose a location not prone to flooding?