House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libspero

Bar Room Chatter

I just heard some bar room gossip from a friend, I don't know whether anyone can corroborate or disprove this...

With the imminent introduction of the no-smoking ban the responsibility and thus cost will fall on local councils. This will add an estimated cost of 250 pounds per house hold to their annual bill.

If this alone doesn't cause a few reposessions I don't know what will.

Any thoughts?

Lib

I spend more than that in a month on mucky women, I hardly think 250 quid a year is going to break the bank.

I also dont see how it could cost every householder 250 quid to uphold the smoking ban. Most councils will turn a blind eye to the ban, its not really enforceable, and in reality the police are far too busy trying to clean up knife crime, the chances of them targetting smokers is pretty much remote.

I spend more than that in a month on mucky women, I hardly think 250 quid a year is going to break the bank.

I also dont see how it could cost every householder 250 quid to uphold the smoking ban. Most councils will turn a blind eye to the ban, its not really enforceable, and in reality the police are far too busy trying to clean up knife crime, the chances of them targetting smokers is pretty much remote.

Christ, your Aunties' are expensive!

If council tax does rise by £250, I predict a riot!

Edited by Jimothy

I think most right thinking people would be prepared to have an increase of £250per year in Council Tax rises, provided Brown did more to commit to feeding the world. Its no use pledging money and accepting the praise, then deciding you have changed your mind at a later date.

To be perfectly honest, most people would accept a basic rate of tax of 55%, with an increase of 40% in council tax as long as Gordon promises to keep house price inflation going so we can continue to pay our taxes.

That would bring in five billion pounds, so unless the smoking ban is going to be enforced by two hundred thousand people on 25k each, I would suggest that your drinking buddy's sums are... unlikely. I know someone who is probably in charge of estimating the cost of enforcement, if you want me to ring them tomorrow...

...and in reality the police are far too busy trying to clean up knife crime, the chances of them targetting smokers is pretty much remote.

On the contrary, targeting otherwise law-abiding, middle-class smokers is a far less risky proposition than targeting underclass knife-wielding, staffie-walking chavs. Why do you think gun and knife crime has skyrocketed roughly in proportion to convictions for speeding? I predict a zero tolerance crackdown on smokers while real criminals are left to get on with it, thereby making the crime figures look good and the bogies' lives easier.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

Is it true that Prisoners who smoke will be allowed out of prison for periods of up to 25 minutes in order that they can have a ciggie? so long as they promise to come back?

Edited by laurejon

I just heard some bar room gossip from a friend, I don't know whether anyone can corroborate or disprove this...

With the imminent introduction of the no-smoking ban the responsibility and thus cost will fall on local councils. This will add an estimated cost of 250 pounds per house hold to their annual bill.

Any thoughts?

Lib

Forking bullsh1t.

Is it true that Prisoners who smoke will be allowed out of prison for periods of up to 25 minutes in order that they can have a ciggie? so long as they promise to come back?

Prisons are currently excluded from the ban. A masterstroke of the Prison Officers Association (the guards trade union) was to not contest this exemption. They know and the govt knows that they can get the exemption overturned easily - as prisons are a workplace like any other. This places the POA in a great bargaining position when it comes to salary negotiations. Imagine the situation when all those lifers get told they cant smoke? The riots would be dreadfull. I think the Prison guards will be very well looked after from now on in.

I can understand that, many Labour Councillors imprisoned for Corruption, and taking backhanders have used Ciggarettes as a form of currency when serving their sentences.

I hardly think 250 quid a year is going to break the bank

I agree.. but there had to be some kind of HPC link. All the same, 250 quid is still 250 quid, especially if you don't have it.

[edit: quoted wrong bit]

Edited by libspero

That would bring in five billion pounds, so unless the smoking ban is going to be enforced by two hundred thousand people on 25k each, I would suggest that your drinking buddy's sums are... unlikely. I know someone who is probably in charge of estimating the cost of enforcement, if you want me to ring them tomorrow...

I agree, seemed a little steep. Still, it got me wondering how it would be funded and that seemed quite plausible.

I would be interested to know what your friend says.

I think most right thinking people would be prepared to have an increase of £250per year in Council Tax rises, provided Brown did more to commit to feeding the world. Its no use pledging money and accepting the praise, then deciding you have changed your mind at a later date.

To be perfectly honest, most people would accept a basic rate of tax of 55%, with an increase of 40% in council tax as long as Gordon promises to keep house price inflation going so we can continue to pay our taxes.

Fock that! 55% tax to pay for other people's food! What the fack? Just how many people do you think the planet can support? Humanity has reproduced to plague proportions. We need a dramatic cut in the target population, to levels that can be supported without drilling fossil fuels out like there was no tomorrow. No forking way are people going to work 55% of their time to feed zstrangers! Get real!

I would be interested to know what your friend says.

Right. The Government have given Councils £14 million for training and education, and £27 million for enforcement. They normally give Councils about 75% of what something actually costs, so we can say a total cost of about £55million, and £14 million of that to come from Council Tax. So about 75p on the average bill.

Ban already in force in Wales and Ireland and I think Scotland but no talk of Council tax rises.

I don't really see how councils can justify rising any more above inflation, If they push it to far I also predict a riot.

Edited by Jonnybegood

Sorry - but this story is rubbish. Coming to a Daily Express front page near you very soon.....

The Dept of Health has provided a £20m grant to Councils to cover their costs on this and no council is going to put up council tax to enforce the smoking ban (not going to be a top priority for new investment when they are cutting services to the elderly).

Any thoughts?

Lib

Utter disgrace though this ridiculous new imposition is, it's patently obviously not going to cost a 10%+ rise in council tax to enforce it, is it? A leaflet mailshot and a handful of extra non-jobs is just a drop in the ocean in the grand scam of things...

Anyway, cigarette sales have always increased whenever such bans have been introduced elsewhere in the world, so central government is laughing all the way to the bank. And now that more children are about to be exposed to smoke in the home, whilst teenagers' impressions of adulthood become inextricably linked with the image of smoking outside pubs, the long term prospects for the duty rake are excellent.