House Price Crash Forum
PricedOutNative

Government To Spend 20 Billion On Improving River And Sea Defenses.

This morning I read:

“The Government today announced that over the next 20 years it would be investing 20 Billion GBP in improving the UK’s costal and inland flood defenses, as part of its drive to combat global warming affects, the ‘Green Taxes’ which we have all been paying over the last few ‘boom economic years’ have been saved in a fund and will contribute to this giant project to protect the UK for generations to come.” :rolleyes:

And then I woke up..... :lol:

It’s interesting that the government can’t wait to slap on ‘green taxes’ yet does not invest in projects to reduce the impact of what they say is coming in terms of raised sea levels and more freak storms..

The Netherlands is spending around 20 Billion over the next 20 years on sea defenses; in the UK we spend 570 Million a year.

Edited-

After further investigation via the web; it was actually 20 billion not 200 billion, that’s the figure I thought I heard on the discovery channel the other night.

Edited by PricedOutNative

This morning I read:

“The Government today announced that over the next 20 years it would be investing 200 Billion GBP in improving the UK’s costal and inland flood defenses, as part of its drive to combat global warming affects, the ‘Green Taxes’ which we have all been paying over the last few ‘boom economic years’ have been saved in a fund and will contribute to this giant project to protect the UK for generations to come.” :rolleyes:

It’s interesting that the government can’t wait to slap on ‘green taxes’ yet does not invest in projects to reduce the impact of what they say is coming in terms of raised sea levels and more freak storms..

The Netherlands is spending around 200 Billion over the next 20 years on sea defenses; in the UK we spend 570 Million a year.

Hate to point it out, but hollandis f00ked if sea levels rise; isnt the average HASL around 2 metres? Think most of us should be ok (as long as you dont live in a flood plain or East anglia) in the UK, thus less money spent?

Or perhaps global warming is a load of B0llox and they cant bve arsed spending cash because they know nothing is actually going to happen.

Volcanoes pump out more Co2 and Sulfur dioxide per annum than mankind does. Global warming just gives governments an excuse to appear statesmanlike and tax the Sh!t out of the local populace.

Or perhaps global warming is a load of B0llox and they cant bve arsed spending cash because they know nothing is actually going to happen.

Volcanoes pump out more Co2 and Sulfur dioxide per annum than mankind does. Global warming just gives governments an excuse to appear statesmanlike and tax the Sh!t out of the local populace.

WTF, I’m reporting you mate! Man made global warming denial will soon be made a crime.

Are you suggesting that those nice computer animations you see on TV showing a third of the UK under water in 50 years time are not accurate?

This morning I read:

“The Government today announced that over the next 20 years it would be investing 200 Billion GBP in improving the UK’s costal and inland flood defenses, as part of its drive to combat global warming affects, the ‘Green Taxes’ which we have all been paying over the last few ‘boom economic years’ have been saved in a fund and will contribute to this giant project to protect the UK for generations to come.” :rolleyes:

The Netherlands is spending around 200 Billion over the next 20 years on sea defenses; in the UK we spend 570 Million a year.

The UK flood defences are a joke. They are grossly underfunded, as the previous years spate of flooding demonstrated. Having then realised that more money needed to be spent, they proceeded to cut the budget due to the ****-ups in farmer payments.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5238342.stm

And lo and behold !! We get even worse flooding this year !!

That's because they know 'global warming' is just ******** used as a justification for ever-increasing taxes.

This morning I read:

I don't think the Netherlands is going to spend 200 billion. They don't have anywhere near that much money.

I don't think the Netherlands is going to spend 200 billion. They don't have anywhere near that much money.

Ah, that a figure I thought I heard on the discovery channel, looking it up on the web it’s 20 billion not 200 billion.

Hate to point it out, but hollandis f00ked if sea levels rise; isnt the average HASL around 2 metres? Think most of us should be ok (as long as you dont live in a flood plain or East anglia) in the UK, thus less money spent?

Volcanoes emit 0.15 gt of Carbon per year, Mankind emits 7gt of Carbon per year

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archi...ty-and-climate/

Sulfur Dioxide from volcanoes actually cools the climate. although the residence time is low so the effect is short lived a matter of a couple of years before the pre-eruption climate establishes - ie Mt Pinatubo

Lots more on Volcanos and Climate here from real proper Geologists

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/programmes/landres/se...ntributions.pdf

I was listening to Patrick Moore on talksport the other night and he was rubbishing the idea that man has anything to do with climate change. The main evidence against the idea of global climate change caused by man (in his opinion), was the fact that global warming is occuring on other planets too, notably Mars. He therefore said it was quite clearly sunspot activity causing the warming, as he pointed out there are no 4x4's on mars ;)

To be honest i dont care either way. If the planet dies, lots of shitty people die too, so no great loss. Im price out of raising a family right now, so im more interested in feeding myself and gaining some kind of standard of living than worrying about what might happen to the planet in 100 years time, when i will be dead anyway. Roll on warmer summers.

........only the Self Righteous Gordon Brown could act as the 'almighty' by pretending to fight floods and global warming and nature..... just to raise taxes.........! .......what about next months mortgage payment...!.....or where am I going to live next week...? ...these are his real problems!

I was listening to Patrick Moore on talksport the other night and he was rubbishing the idea that man has anything to do with climate change. The main evidence against the idea of global climate change caused by man (in his opinion), was the fact that global warming is occuring on other planets too, notably Mars. He therefore said it was quite clearly sunspot activity causing the warming, as he pointed out there are no 4x4's on mars ;)

To be honest i dont care either way. If the planet dies, lots of shitty people die too, so no great loss. Im price out of raising a family right now, so im more interested in feeding myself and gaining some kind of standard of living than worrying about what might happen to the planet in 100 years time, when i will be dead anyway. Roll on warmer summers.

Oh aye ...which Patrick Moore was that then...the Astronomer, or the guy from Greenpeace who left after having a strop cos he couldn't get his own way?

Edited by WSG